collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Morgan Sanson - On Loan at Nice  (Read 175473 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Morgan Sanson - signed
« Reply #315 on: January 27, 2021, 03:51:27 PM »
If you think Mcginn is all 'hustle and bustle' and lacks technical ability, you're going to shit yourself when you see footage of his goal against Sheff Wed.... or his first time assist for Jack's 7th against Livepool.

It's perfectly possible to believe Sanson is a better player than McGinn, without the need to denigrate him or where he was signed from (or for how much).  SJM will likely be considered one of the best buys we've made in decades, his fee is of no consequence when it comes to his performances on the pitch - which apart from a spell coming back from injury have been largely very good, and often excellent.

If Sanson genuinely turns out to be an all round improvement on SJM, then great - but it won't be because McGinn is lacking as a player, it'll be because Sanson is just incredibly good.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #316 on: January 27, 2021, 04:01:48 PM »
If all players were judged by their roots, then signing the likes of Dwight Yorke when touring Trinidad and Tobago was something that would never have been considered. Also Leicester obviously made a terrible mistake in signing Vardy from the non-league and Southampton shouldn't have taken Virgil Van Dijk from Celtic.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:10:21 PM by OCD »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #317 on: January 27, 2021, 04:19:27 PM »
If we were to sell McGinn now, it would be for considerably more than what we're paying for Sanson.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #318 on: January 27, 2021, 04:21:34 PM »
I don't see why we need to sell anyone and why cannot also keep Barkley. If we are going to operate at the top end of the table and into Europe we need real depth and ability to rotate where the standard does not drop off. I say keep everyone and let them fight it out. We need to able to rest/rotate/challenge every player.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #319 on: January 27, 2021, 04:24:54 PM »
I don't see why we need to sell anyone and why cannot also keep Barkley. If we are going to operate at the top end of the table and into Europe we need real depth and ability to rotate where the standard does not drop off. I say keep everyone and let them fight it out. We need to able to rest/rotate/challenge every player.

I agree, I was meaning purely based on footy's assessment of his worth based on original fee..

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #320 on: January 27, 2021, 04:26:16 PM »

Exactly.  Interesting though that in the pre-match press thing, Smith said one of the criteria they looked at for new players was "toughness" and playing at last 70% of matches for the last three years.  Surely that would have ruled out Barkley?

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #321 on: January 27, 2021, 04:32:06 PM »
Yeah, agree totally. Not sure he needs to be replacing a specific player. Players get injured, suspended, out of form. There's definitely a place for a player who can play in a few different roles.

As you'd said too, it's not as if your can compete on multiple fronts (e.g. europe) if you have 11 players playing 90% of games and then the other 14 just sitting out twiddling their fingers.

Offline Risso

« Reply #322 on: January 27, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »

I agree, I was meaning purely based on footy's assessment of his worth based on original fee..

That Riyad Mahrez must be really crap then. Leicester got him from the French 2nd division for £400K.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #323 on: January 27, 2021, 04:38:08 PM »
Here's a Marseille fans forum, they liked him.

Click the english translation in the top right hand corner (unless you can parlez vous francaise obviously).

https://forum.lephoceen.fr/threads/morgan-sanson-head-of-tourisme.75909/page-178

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2021, 04:49:44 PM »

yep wasn't directed at you Mr D. Just a general comment that we need to have serious depth everywhere and we are slowly getting there. And especially if we get into the Europa which we all know is a long and taxing tournament

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2021, 05:20:04 PM »
Here's a Marseille fans forum, they liked him.

Click the english translation in the top right hand corner (unless you can parlez vous francaise obviously).

https://forum.lephoceen.fr/threads/morgan-sanson-head-of-tourisme.75909/page-178

Cheers for that. Seems to be a good egg who works hard on the pitch and doesn't cause much strife around off it. Also a bit of praise for Villa and Brum.

"Good choice anyway. Aston Villa are a great team if they keep Grealish and Douglas Luiz. Birmingham very beautiful city too. Anyway, good luck to him."

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2021, 05:45:23 PM »
Reading that Marseille forum he sounds very much like a French McGinn.

My favourite quote

"Good guy, fuck you Morgan"

Offline Risso

« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2021, 08:34:16 PM »
Not much to choose between Luiz, Barkley and McGinn this evening, as they were all miles below the standards they're capable of.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2021, 08:36:10 PM »
After Ross struggled i think he needs ousting for Sanson!
Its good we have competition

Or McGinn. Let’s not ease him in gently. Play him Saturday

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #329 on: January 27, 2021, 08:44:45 PM »
Not much to choose between Luiz, Barkley and McGinn this evening, as they were all miles below the standards they're capable of.
Luiz was poor generally, and Barkley's passing is so wayward at times it becomes a liability.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal