collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by aj2k77
[Today at 10:01:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:00:03 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:57:10 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by chrisw1
[Today at 09:56:02 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by john e
[Today at 09:55:13 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Morgan Sanson - On Loan at Nice  (Read 175449 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Morgan Sanson
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2021, 03:50:52 PM »
who was the other guy we got from Swansea on loan in January and played about three minutes?

Tom Carroll? Or something like that?

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2021, 04:07:21 PM »
who was the other guy we got from Swansea on loan in January and played about three minutes?

Which one?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2021, 04:09:40 PM »

Which one?

Borja Baston? He played two games.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2021, 04:11:39 PM »
Downing played in the middle for us, to start with, didn't he? So could have been seen as a Barry replacement rather than adding from a position of strength. I may have got my years mixed up, though.

Wasn't it that we'd been playing Milner and Young wide, and adding Downing was the thing that allowed Milner to move into the middle?

Maybe. But I'm sure I remember Downing playing in the middle for a bit. Maybe after Milner went and when Albrighton had come through to play opposite wing to Young? Either way, I think I was wrong about him replacing Barry.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2021, 04:46:25 PM »
Last January was an extremely strange window.

richtheholtender

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2021, 05:11:14 PM »
Downing played in the middle for us, to start with, didn't he? So could have been seen as a Barry replacement rather than adding from a position of strength. I may have got my years mixed up, though.

Think Downing played in the middle under Houllier

Wasn't it that we'd been playing Milner and Young wide, and adding Downing was the thing that allowed Milner to move into the middle?

Maybe. But I'm sure I remember Downing playing in the middle for a bit. Maybe after Milner went and when Albrighton had come through to play opposite wing to Young? Either way, I think I was wrong about him replacing Barry.

richtheholtender

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2021, 05:12:27 PM »

Try again. I think Downing played in the middle under Houllier

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2021, 05:15:30 PM »
I get the impression that we blew our entire transfer budget/FFP allocation in the summer (probably though necessity) and were hamstrung by that in to getting basically free transfers. We only spent £80m or so this summer, which presumably has given us a bit more room to buy pictures now. Plus we haven't needed to replace a striker and keeper at short notice.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2021, 05:25:48 PM »
January 2020 we added Danny Drinkwater.

You can lead a horse to water but we couldn't make Danny play football competently.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2021, 05:31:44 PM »

Try again. I think Downing played in the middle under Houllier
He did for the Man City game where Darren Bent made his debut and scored.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2021, 05:39:16 PM »
I get the impression that we blew our entire transfer budget/FFP allocation in the summer (probably though necessity) and were hamstrung by that in to getting basically free transfers. We only spent £80m or so this summer, which presumably has given us a bit more room to buy pictures now. Plus we haven't needed to replace a striker and keeper at short notice.

We weren't assured of safety last Jan. I think FFP would have doe for us if we'd splashed out. This year we're fine and it's not such a gamble to spend.

Remember Hourihane is out on loan so this is a replacement.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2021, 06:38:38 PM »

We weren't assured of safety last Jan. I think FFP would have doe for us if we'd splashed out. This year we're fine and it's not such a gamble to spend.

Don't forget that we had 2 key players pick up season ending injuries on new years day with another already ruled out for 4-5 months a week or so earlier. The window became all about filling the gaps left by Heaton, Wesley and McGinn with almost no notice on top of needing a backup striker. Doing that with very little spare money (because of FFP) and in the midst of a relegation battle was totally different to the circumstances this time.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2021, 06:50:02 PM »

Don't forget that we had 2 key players pick up season ending injuries on new years day with another already ruled out for 4-5 months a week or so earlier. The window became all about filling the gaps left by Heaton, Wesley and McGinn with almost no notice on top of needing a backup striker. Doing that with very little spare money (because of FFP) and in the midst of a relegation battle was totally different to the circumstances this time.

Without those injuries last season, I think we would have been fine. Heaton had been amazing.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2021, 07:29:50 PM »

Without those injuries last season, I think we would have been fine. Heaton had been amazing.

Very possibly, it was a messy spell because we'd already had annoying injuries for Jack and Mings in the month or so before that. If you compare our injury problems to Sheff Utd who came up with us we definitely had a bad time of it.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2021, 07:32:21 PM »
He's no Danny Drinkwater

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal