collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Manchester City vs Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread - Jan 20th - 6.00pm  (Read 14975 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Manchester City vs Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread - Jan 20th - 6.00pm
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2021, 12:55:30 PM »
It's all dependent on who actually got covid and how severe their symptoms were of course, but there's a chance that this break could well have been beneficial to the players who didn't catch the virus/were asymptomatic. There were definitely a number of players against Man Utd who were looking fatigued (Watkins and Grealish especially looked to be lacking energy in the final 30 mins) so who knows, maybe they'll have an extra spring in their step. Also, while it's not ideal to not be able to train together for 2 weeks, players will have continued to train in isolation and would not have started preparing for this game until Monday anyway.

I imagine that if any of them aren't right from Covid, then there's no way they'd be training, and more importantly, pictured training. Full squad available, Boss Rarkley back, 3-0 Villa, fuck off Mancs.

Amen.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2021, 12:58:03 PM »
I'd be tempted to put Barkley and Jack as two number 10s behind Ollie, 3 CMs behind them. Don't want to go in light centrally v Man. City and from the pics I've seen there's no Trez, Traore or El Ghazi pictured training so looks like we'll be lighto n genuine wide players for this.

Excellent to see pretty much every other key player out there.

Offline oishiiniku

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2021, 01:01:28 PM »
According to a Birmingham Live story that just went up (no idea how reliable the info is):

The players confirmed to have trained this week are as follows…

Goalkeepers: Martinez, Heaton, Steer
Defenders: Cash, Guilbert, Elmohamady, Mings, Konsa, Engels, Targett, Taylor
Midfielders: McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba, Barkley, Hourihane, J Ramsey, A Ramsey, Chukwuemeka
Forwards: Grealish, Traore, Watkins, El Ghazi, Davis

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2021, 01:36:10 PM »
If any of them listed had symptoms then they would not be allowed to mix with the rest of the squad

So it is safe to assume all are clear - it just depends on how match sharp they are, especially Barkley

Im really looking forward to this now

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2021, 01:47:08 PM »
No longer having symptoms is not necessarily the same as "all clear", there could be lingering issues.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 02:08:48 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2021, 02:04:58 PM »
People who are ill can't run around playing football.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2021, 02:09:18 PM »
Poor Stephen Ireland must have been ill the entire time he was here.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2021, 02:26:53 PM »
There the form team in the league, starting to motor, have class throughout their team. We’ve had a COVID outbreak, 19 days without a match, apart from trez no indication of whose had it or how will impact on team selection.
There is only one possible outcome from this.
2-1 villa (Grealish, Watkins)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2021, 03:07:54 PM »
They might all be back training now but they've all come back from it at different points Smith was saying. So others will have been able to step up their training earlier than others. So it's still not that clear how the team will look as you can't gauge levels of fitness from photos.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2021, 03:21:12 PM »
They might all be back training now but they've all come back from it at different points Smith was saying. So others will have been able to step up their training earlier than others. So it's still not that clear how the team will look as you can't gauge levels of fitness from photos.
But you can from rummaging around the waste paper baskets at Bodymoor Heath ;)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2021, 04:13:04 PM »

Our former player of the year?? 😀

I think Jack getting in behind Walker is our best chance of creating chances. Walker is a decent athlete but a very average defender. I'm afraid they look far too strong for us across the pitch, with or without Aguero. We might have to chalk this game down to experience...

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2021, 04:54:19 PM »
Thanks I won't need to discuss further after Dean has made public comments which should satisfy and end the debate

I think you should probably just stop with the big bollocks attitude. Since the virus closed the club down you've:

Tried to blame Jack without any idea whether he even had the virus (he didn't).
Blamed it more broadly on players being unprofessional (Smith said they have no idea how the virus got into the club).
Claimed a third or 40% of the squad from the ManU game will be missing (that'd be 6-7 players which is almost everyone who tested positive) when you have absolutely no knowledge of who was affected, whether they were symptomatic or how badly affected they were.

You also don't know enough basics of how and when the virus is detected to know that the breech was between the Chelsea game and ManU game which led to another incorrect post about a completely imaginary late NYE party.

Anything anyone posts about the likely team tomorrow is guess work, it could be that the only players who suffered enough to be behind on fitness were on the bench or already missing games (like Trez for example) an we put out our best 11 or alternatively 2-3 players from that team could be struggling and we need to make changes. No one on here knows making a guess that a few will be out and then being smug when the manager says "Obviously there are some question marks on some of my players so will have to check if they are fully fit or not" is a bit sad really, every single person on this forum knew there was a chance some players would be missing but only 1 person on here is claiming some kind of Nostradamus status for it.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2021, 05:28:14 PM »
where is the like button Paul_e when you need it

UTV
The Doc

Online Astnor

Re: Man City vs Aston Villa Pre-Match Thread - Jan 20th - 6.00pm
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2021, 06:20:26 PM »
Just read the pre-match thread on Blue Moon. It's unlike any other I've read on an opposition forum - respectful, not arrogant, no irrational hatred, no mention of fans' accents, and only one or two calling Grealish a diver - with a couple even contradicting that standpoint. Weird.
Bit of strange that. Not really fans by the definition of it.
I hope for a draw. 1-1 as Chelsea was and Man U should have been. Manch City probably better than those two though. Depnds on us firing on all cylinders despite Covid though (unlikely).

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2021, 06:36:06 PM »

Not as ill as many of his grandparents.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal