collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Keinan Davis by N'ZMAV
[Today at 08:24:58 AM]

Bristol City Saltiness. by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:11:21 AM]

I hate Maths by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:10:02 AM]

Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving by Damo70
[Today at 03:20:12 AM]

Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread by Damo70
[Today at 03:02:46 AM]

Dean Smith - Confirmed by ROBBO
[Today at 01:22:56 AM]

Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours. by ROBBO
[Today at 01:16:22 AM]

Villa v Spurs 1971 League Cup Final Extended Coverage by Nunkin1965
[Today at 12:03:16 AM]

April 09, 2021, 07:47:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 492 | Comments: 8

1967: Preston North End and...
April 03, 2021, 09:55:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1287 | Comments: 25

“Mental pain is...
April 01, 2021, 01:09:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 242 | Comments: 0

In the fifties it used to be t...
March 30, 2021, 12:00:59 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 413 | Comments: 5

Over the years, Villa Park has...
March 26, 2021, 01:56:48 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 526 | Comments: 9

On the principle that if you c...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: This one's a keeper  (Read 1973 times)

Online WarszaVillan82

• GM : 15.01.2022
Re: This one's a keeper
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 03:24:06 PM »
Very interesting discussion article. I think we saw the best of both Rimmer and Bosnich at Villa based on their performances at other clubs. Spink's longevity counts for a lot but I have never thought about his ability in quite the same terms of the other two despite him seeing off Mervyn Day and Kevin Poole when they displaced him temporarily. In Martinez we may have found a keeper to rival our best of the last 50 years.

Day and Poole were really never anything other than back-ups. Rimmer was unlucky in that he had one bad game, Tony Barton dropped him and there was a ready-made replacement in Spink, who went through his bad periods and is a lot more highly-regarded now than he was then.

Spink periodically lost his place - to Poole, Day and Butler as I recall - but found his way back into the team. He was a decent shot stopper but not great a crosses. He goes down as a Villa great due to Rotterdam and longevity.

Offline Clarence Blue

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 08:57:04 AM »
Interesting read. In my 55 years Jimmy Rimmer is currently top. Friedel probably second, though that's a tougher call. Peter Schmeichel better than both over whole career but not when he played for us.

I think Emi Martinez is likely to take top spot, if he carries on with current form, some time in 2022/23 (I hope).

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »
My top keeper since i started going to Villa Park around 1962 would be Rimmer just ahead of Bosnich .Withers and Spink  also deserve a mention and i am sure Martinez is going to be right up there with them in time

Offline LamBeast

• GM : Apr, 2013
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 01:02:45 PM »
Bozzie was a lunatic but a fantastic keeper,all those mentioned are legends in their own right.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 01:07:58 PM »
Very interesting discussion article. I think we saw the best of both Rimmer and Bosnich at Villa based on their performances at other clubs. Spink's longevity counts for a lot but I have never thought about his ability in quite the same terms of the other two despite him seeing off Mervyn Day and Kevin Poole when they displaced him temporarily. In Martinez we may have found a keeper to rival our best of the last 50 years.

Day and Poole were really never anything other than back-ups. Rimmer was unlucky in that he had one bad game, Tony Barton dropped him and there was a ready-made replacement in Spink, who went through his bad periods and is a lot more highly-regarded now than he was then.

Spink periodically lost his place - to Poole, Day and Butler as I recall - but found his way back into the team. He was a decent shot stopper but not great a crosses. He goes down as a Villa great due to Rotterdam and longevity.

Yes, Kevin Poole had the jersey when I started going down in '86. I linked Spink though, he shares something with Martinez in that they have 'sticky hands', they hold onto the ball rather than parrying it out.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2021, 01:28:52 PM »
Spink didn't so much get dropped as have a few injuries, which seemed surprising at the time as we were used to Jimmy Rimmer never being out but was probably normal for mortals. I agree with pooligan that Rimmer edges out Bosnich, more for consistency than anything (and Ron Atkinson says the same, so there) with Spink third. Spink's problem seemed to be that he never dominated the box as well as he should although he did suffer from a (rare for the Villa throughout my time) lack of a really dominant central defence when he was at his peak.

Colin Withers suffers like a few players of his era in that he was a good player in a generally poor team so he gets overlooked. Another keeper who history hasn't served well is David James, who is chiefly remembered for the cup final but his penalty saves in the semi are forgotten. Overall, as many have said, we invariably have a good keeper but rarely a great one.   

Online Rico

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 01:39:16 PM »
Rimmer has been the best in my time, followed by Spink and Bosnich. Bosnich, as we all remember was capable of making magnificent saves, but so too was Spinky.  Spink played a lot of his career at Villa behind a very poor defence, so that has to be taken into account.  Martinez would appear to be the best keeper since the above three. If he continues as he has done he could go on to become our best keeper ever.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 01:45:23 PM »
Related to Nigel Spink I have just come across this after it was tweeted by Bobby Glaze who played in n the same youth team as Brian Little (and presumably John Gidman). It is brilliant!

https://youtu.be/UHQuo2T9cK4

Online Rico

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 08:46:25 AM »
Related to Nigel Spink I have just come across this after it was tweeted by Bobby Glaze who played in n the same youth team as Brian Little (and presumably John Gidman). It is brilliant!

https://youtu.be/UHQuo2T9cK4

Absolutely magnificent!!! UTV

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal