collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: So what is our style of play ?  (Read 1962 times)

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
So what is our style of play ?
« on: January 17, 2021, 01:47:47 PM »
for the first time in what seems like donkeys years Villa are great to watch again
certainly for the first time since MON we don’t fear playing the topsides

but what would you say is our style of play is now under Dean Smith ?

When Smith first came he was Talked about as a progressive manager (whatever that means)
We were playing out from the back and playing possession football
We don’t do that quite so much now

I felt at times last season quite a lot of the time actually we lost our way we had no style no shape and some of the performances were very poor
So the improvement this year has been incredible especially as it’s so attack minded

I’ve also seen people say we are a counter-Attacking side
Yet for me a counter -attacking side is more like we played under MON and I think we are far more than that

So what is it and can it be defined
Maybe it’s just finding a system that works with the players that you have and bring in

But whatever it is it’s the best and most excited I’ve been for over 10 years
so this isn’t a moaning type topic
and of course it doesn’t have to be explained or defined but I was just wondering what people thought the Villa way was now
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:03:04 PM by john e »

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: So what is our style of play ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 02:37:55 PM »
I still feared the top sides under MON, at home anyway.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 02:55:36 PM »
Agree, exciting times with a young squad with loads of potential and ambitious owners who support a forward looking management team

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 03:42:51 PM »
Good post John e, I think we have changed our play,, I think it’s now more 4 2 3 1 but still very flexible. I think we are prepared to go long quickly sometimes with Ollie a willing runner And Shakespeare May have bought that option to our play.We have a bit more pace which was lacking last season.
When he plays Barkley adds those driving runs from the midfield. Our shape is so much better and we co- ordinate the press when we put it on so much better.
We are a long way from the finished article but our football is the most  pleasing on the eye since Little and BFR.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 05:07:04 PM »
Does anyone think that without the crowds, players are much more confident with the ball and playing themselves out of tight spaces? See too the short goalkicks with two defenders in a line with the goalkeeper ready to receive and build an attack.

It's probably not just us (ours are the only matches I watchfor the full 90 minute), but across the league it's as if players feel they are playing in training games and there's less pressure. Will be curious to see if the percentage of hoofs and long balls goes up markedly when supporters are allowed back.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 10:17:58 PM »
I think whittling it down to a single phrase is hard but our game is all about is dictating the shape of the play, we get teams playing where we want them to (more often than not) and create gaps by moving their players out of position. The games where we haven't been so effective are the ones where teams haven't taken the bait as often. For it to really work we an extra bit of threat from 20-25 yards.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 11:21:31 PM »
High tempo athleticism with does of genuine quality when Doug and Jack get on the ball.

I remember reading DS during the summer saying he realised early last season we badly lacked athleticism down the spine of the team and likes of Luiz needed half a season to get up to speed of premier league so credit for everyone for getting the summers transfer right as Cash, Watkins and Barkley all improved that side of the game massively.

To be a top level premier league team you simply have to have it.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 07:19:34 AM »
Winning

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 08:44:45 AM »
Setting traps.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 09:23:21 AM »
Does anyone think that without the crowds, players are much more confident with the ball and playing themselves out of tight spaces? See too the short goalkicks with two defenders in a line with the goalkeeper ready to receive and build an attack.

It's probably not just us (ours are the only matches I watchfor the full 90 minute), but across the league it's as if players feel they are playing in training games and there's less pressure. Will be curious to see if the percentage of hoofs and long balls goes up markedly when supporters are allowed back.

Absolutely this. There aren't fans groaning and moaning on the stands so I think teams are trying more stuff out as there is less pressure.

I hope that performances don't drop off as fans return.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 09:42:12 AM »
Not sure how you would label our style but I like it. I've always wanted us to play good progressive attacking football, and one reason (not the only one) I wasn't a fan of MON was that despite his relative success, the football and tactics were  limited and dated.  The only other times recently we've played some really nice stuff was the last 10-12 games under Houllier and briefly when Tim Dim's anything goes approach initially worked before being found out. 

Bruceball bored me to tears, I was actually losing interest while at the game after about 20 minutes. 

Offline villabear

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 11:54:22 AM »
Watching the last few games and absolutely loving the way we play. The quick passing, the interchange all over the pitch, a long ball only when needed. I do get my heart in my mouth when we play the ball between the opposition around the edge of the box. I could do without that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal