collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Squad - Upgrades/Additions Needed?  (Read 5652 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: The Squad - Upgrades/Additions Needed?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 05:13:11 PM »
Trez will be here next season, done enough so far bar finishing to suggest he's kicked on a bit although would be surprised if he's still starting majority of games.

AEG will be moved on along with Lansbury, AEM, Taylor (end of contract) and then those out of favour like Engels and Freddie. Those two could go out in January I think on loan to try to raise their value again. Nakamba vulnerable aswell given he's hardly been used so far this season in the league.

Important we try to hang on to our crown jewels players again although will remain tough given they're getting more attention.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 05:37:47 PM »
Trez, hologram and taylor need immediate replacements. The rest can wait until the summer.
Stop calling him hologram.  It's just not funny and we'd be a Championship side if it wasn't for his contribution.

I find it a little bit funny.

You never know, another player might have come up with the goods and allowed us to escape the Championship. You have form for liking mediocre midfield players, as I remember a similar defence of Westwood.
Whether Hourihane is good enough right now for a top half PL side is not what is in question here.  It's whether fans should have some respect for a player who has always given 100% in the shirt and made a massive contribution to our promotion as well as some decent performances to help us survive.

If you really think it's funny then you must be a child.

As for Westwood, fucking hell fancy dragging up posts from over 3 years ago.  I never thought he was a world beater but yes, I didn't think he was as bad as some on here did.  Neither did Sean Dyce as it happens and Westwood has since played over 120 games for Burnley, a big chunk of those whilst the team he wasn't good enough for laguished in the Championship.

I see you now think McGinn and Mings aren't very good either so I think I'll carry on ignoring your views on players. 

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 05:56:25 PM »
I agree Chris.  I can't help but have a soft spot for Conor.  Worked hard to get where he is and as you say, absolutely vital in getting us up.  Play off scored, penalty in the shootout and if memory serves, a great sweeping pass to start the move for our first goal in the play off final.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 06:46:45 PM »
We definitely need a  physically-imposing central MF, to allow Luiz to become the playmaker that he can be.

Definitely, a young Gareth Barry if we could find him would be ideal. I think quite a few might move on in January. It's clear Smith isn't one for squad rotation and there are a number that are surplus to requirements it seems. Think all the below should have no problems picking up offers from elsewhere.

Nakamba - not good enough and not getting any minutes
AEG - as much as I've wanted him to come good, last night was probably the final straw
Engels or Hause - Hause is fine at championship level as would Engels be, clearly an issue with Engels behind the scenes. Tuanzebe might come back into the reckoning although it's competition for Mings I'd prefer.
Guilbert - I'm not sure Cash is all that better but Smith clearly thinks both Cash and Elmo are better
Heaton - very expensive reserve, likely to go on loan and Steer is more than an adequate back up anyway
Davis - if Wesley is back, he will be allowed go on loan.

Likes of Elmo and Taylor will likely run out their contracts. Presume Kalinic will get a nice redundancy cheque and Lansbury paid out also.

LCB and LCM the two priority positions to strengthen.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 06:51:16 PM »
I think people are being a bit optomistic about Wesley being back.  I don't think we should be counting him as a viable option from Jan, I doubt he's going to be back properly fit before March. 

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »
Whether Hourihane is good enough right now for a top half PL side is not what is in question here.  It's whether fans should have some respect for a player who has always given 100% in the shirt and made a massive contribution to our promotion as well as some decent performances to help us survive.

Reminds me of a certain poster on here that never had a good word to say, quite the opposite, about Alan Hutton. When the Scottish Cafu scored 'that' goal against the Rags he never came back on here for weeks. Now that I did a little bit (read extremely) funny.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 07:42:38 PM »
I think people are being a bit optomistic about Wesley being back.  I don't think we should be counting him as a viable option from Jan, I doubt he's going to be back properly fit before March.
Yeah, I think we at least need a loan striker, just to ease Wesley back in to things. We don't want another James Chester situation where a great pro ends up being perma-crocked because we've had no option but to play them through an injury crisis.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 07:42:42 PM »
The Priorities
1. Centre back For Mings
2 wide attacker For Trez
3 Midfielder
Not sure we will buy Barkley because of his injury problems.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 08:03:04 PM »
January - upgrade on Trez,  cover for Luiz and a striker.

Summer - ungrade on Mings,  another attacking midfielder.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 08:27:36 PM »
I actually find it amusing that a player who has so much pride playing for the Villa, went back on the train to Bournemouth in his Villa shirt after gaining promotion and has now gained England recognition from his performances and lauded by the majority of Villa fans is now deemed to be replaceable.

Who is this upgrade that posters want to replace Mings with? Some even think this is the number 1 priority!

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 08:46:39 PM »
Mings is a Villa legend already.  A cult figure, but it doesn't stop him from dropping the odd bollock or having a stinker. 

We still need that central midfielder to protect the defence but Dean doesn't seem to play that way.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 09:41:04 PM »
I know its not in the zeitgeist of the times that ALL new Villa players must be under 25 and have tremendous sell=on potential but I would strengthen the squad sooner rather than later with some genuine experience. There are some very experienced players on frees that could be in our squad in a month for nothing on a 6 month deal. I know youre going to say Drinkwater.
up front for when Watkins is having a bad day - Sturridge or Mandzukic
centreback to give Tyrone a day off on an off day - Ezequiel Garay

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2020, 09:49:43 PM »
I actually find it amusing that a player who has so much pride playing for the Villa, went back on the train to Bournemouth in his Villa shirt after gaining promotion and has now gained England recognition from his performances and lauded by the majority of Villa fans is now deemed to be replaceable.

Who is this upgrade that posters want to replace Mings with? Some even think this is the number 1 priority!

John Stones?  Loan deal?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2020, 11:06:32 PM »

Mings has never played consistently well in the top division, that's the bottom line. Most are suggesting competition for his place might be a good thing.

Not sure what his choice of clothing on public transport have to do with anything. International recognition sure but it's the worst group of centre halves in over 25 years that I can recall. Mings isn't even the best centre back at the club Id argue.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2020, 11:13:37 PM »
At best Mings is an adequate PL defender, since he got his England caps he’s been strolling around the pitch like Paolo Maldini. You only have to look at his positional play for one of the Brighton goals to see how often he gets it completely wrong.

In time every player in our squad can be upgraded, that’s what top teams do.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal