collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: West Ham vs Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 16058 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: West Ham vs Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2020, 10:56:06 PM »
I dont know what were doing on defending set pieces but Vestegaard and Ogbonna scoring free headers with Mings and Konsa nowhere near them is not right at all.

Both carbon copies of each other. Fault maybe more so with coaching but we only have four players capable of winning a header in the air (Martinez, Konsa, Mings and Watkins) and that's a big problem tonight and going forward.

Thought it was one of our best performances of the season. On another night, we score at least four. Watkins missed a complete sitter, Trez missed a sitter worse than AEG's last season. Not to mind a missed peno...didn't fancy Watkins I must say after the miss minutes before. Not to mention the complete and utter shit show at the end.

We completely dominated midfield throughout. Likes of Soucek and Rice were chasing shadows. Luiz was outstanding. Jack on a different level, though I didn't agree with moving him off the left wing late on. Cash was decent again. Surprised (well maybe not) to see Hourihane getting criticised. Was very sharp on the ball, we all know his limitations without it like the man he replaced.

Another problem for me pre game was the quality on our bench. Traore was ok but AEG (who I've always had a flicker of faith in) was genuinely hopeless. Elmo for Cash after 85 mins or so...really?

Martinez 7, Cash 7, Konsa 6, Mings 6, Targett 7, Luiz 9, Hourihane 7, McGinn 6, Trez 4, Watkins 5, Jack 9. Traore 6, AEG 4, Elmo 5. 

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2020, 10:56:09 PM »

I think you will find a number of goals have been disallowed  or penalties not given because of an infringement earlier in the play. Foul came before offside.

Agreed. It's not like he was stood 3 yards offside.  He was level with the attacker and the only thing that then became offside was his arm as a result of being fouled.

And Kappa designing longer sleeves than umbro

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2020, 10:56:14 PM »
Everyone keeps talking about this and that the amount of possession we had  and VAR but the bottom line is we are letting in goals for fun and we’ve just lost four out of the last five like or not ladies and gentlemen that’s relegation form

Not always. Pretty sure last season Burnley finished about 11th and they lost more games than they actually won.

I think we'll beat Newcastle comfortably with what we showed tonight and table will look much better then. Really don't want us coming out flat and feeling sorry for ourselves as we were 3 down within 30 minutes when we did that v Southampton.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2020, 10:56:18 PM »
We can scream injustice all we like, the bottom line is we have now conceded 11 goals against Leeds, Soton, Brighton and West Ham and in every game missed some absolute sitters. That’s just fecking poor. We’ve utterly Squanto our great start. Big game now against Newcastle.

Indeed we've been unlucky, very unlucky,  but we've also been our own worst enemy in all those games.  If we can lose so many "winnable" games while actually playing quite well and creating chances, it doesn't bode well for when we hit a run of bad form or get some injuries.  I hope the Newcastle game will turn things around - I fear we'll be in a tailspin if it doesn't.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2020, 10:56:58 PM »
Everyone keeps talking about this and that the amount of possession we had  and VAR but the bottom line is we are letting in goals for fun and we’ve just lost four out of the last five like or not ladies and gentlemen that’s relegation form
That's the spirit

He's right though.  Four defeats from five and 11 goals conceded against Leeds, Southampton, Brighton and West Ham. Mostly really cheap goals where we didn't lay a glove on them.  We need to cut that out.  Conceding two goals a game is what nearly did for us last season.

He was talking relegation form last week as well though and it’s ultra negative. The results and goals conceded have been poor over four of the last five games, but the form or performances haven’t been. Talking relegation form in November, when we have 15 points is negative for negatives sake.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2020, 10:58:03 PM »
Still a bit stunned by that.  Should have won the game quite comfortably and not had to worry about VAR decisions.  We looked dangerous on the break all game and I thought Traore did better when he came on.

To concede twice in the manner we did was very poor though and it is happening too often at the moment.  As for VAR, I thought the first angle they showed made it look like Watkins was inside.  They then seemed to pan out to an angle which made it difficult to see anything.  As Gary Neville pointed out, they were so busy checking for offside that they missed the fact it was a blatant penalty.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2020, 10:58:16 PM »
Is it practically possible to score with your armpit? Of course not. We're not the first and we won't be the last to suffer from this madness. I didnt realise football was meant to be more litigious than golf. Or Brexit.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2020, 10:58:30 PM »
Well quite how we lost I don't know. Well we do, we can moan all we like about VAR but

- we defended and tackled at the start of each half like a bunch of halfwits
- we couldn't finish for toffee, yes Trez I'm looking at you.
- there was a very large Barkley shaped hole in that team
- if VAR was looking at offside then reviewing the whole incident should he have looked at the neck hold?

An immensely frustrating evening where West Ham scored twice from two chances and in the rest of the game did the precise sum of fuck all. We still have too many players who need too long to decide/pass.

All in all that's two performances in a row where sloppy defending and poor finishing have cost us. Sort it out Dean or we risk sliding into the bad habits of last season.   

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2020, 10:58:41 PM »
We shot ourselves in the foot with there goals, which were the only thing they did during the game. Did more than enough to win it but we can't keep coming from behind.

As for VAR, we were having the same conversation after the Burnley away game last season and we still are a season later. Says it all really.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2020, 11:00:33 PM »
The PGMOL have said it wasn't a clear and obvious error. Well, they're hardly likely to admit they hadn't even looked, are they?

PGMOL are a joke.  They seem to comment on random decisions, with about as much consistency as the hated VAR itself.  I can't think of another rule change in any other sport that has been introduced as badly as VAR in football has.  The reason football is the most popular and watched sport in the world is the speed, excitement and spontaneity.  So yeah, let's take that out of the game.  Morons.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2020, 11:02:07 PM »
That's the spirit

He's right though.  Four defeats from five and 11 goals conceded against Leeds, Southampton, Brighton and West Ham. Mostly really cheap goals where we didn't lay a glove on them.  We need to cut that out.  Conceding two goals a game is what nearly did for us last season.

He was talking relegation form last week as well though and it’s ultra negative. The results and goals conceded have been poor over four of the last five games, but the form or performances haven’t been. Talking relegation form in November, when we have 15 points is negative for negatives sake.

It's results not performances that decide if you get relegated.  4 defeats in 5 is too short a run to be relegation form but it's getting there. 

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2020, 11:03:22 PM »
Fuckin livid as livid been for a long time.

Two shit goal conceded  - yes.

But easily the better team. By a distance

And Watkins non goal was a foul - should have been a pen.

Lost 4 points to wank VAR

Feel the same. Just been for a quick 3 mile walk (can’t run anymore) as was so frustrated  How did we lose that. West Ham are awful

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2020, 11:04:11 PM »
It’s about belief, we dominate a game and still manage to lose.
There is a problem,not sure what it is but I would start with the defense.

We've missed a penalty and yet another fucking sitter, McGinn's shite right foot, off target with a fantastically positioned free kick and a header from six yards out, restricted the opposition to two efforts on target, and people think it's the defence that's the problem? Lots and lots and lots and fucking lots of shooting practice wouldn't go amiss, imho.
You could say we where allowed to attack and dominate the game because they were in the lead for most of the game.

Then hats off to Moyes for his unwavering bravery in banking on us missing all those chances. It's not like they successfully shut up shop, we battered them but finished with all the aplomb of a Scouts under-9s 'b' team.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2020, 11:05:28 PM »
Putting var to one just for a mo we should easily have got something out of that game, but for some poor defending, poor concentration and poor finishing.
That said we were head and shoulders above a poor west spam.
As for Var and the people who adminster it...they can just f-ck off! Football has been ruined by its introduction and poor application.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2020, 11:06:40 PM »
I can well believe the twats running VAR have come out and defended their decision not to award the penalty for Ollie Watkins. I'm with Gary Neville in believing that they never checked it.  The referee's union is alive and kicking and we can all wait for Dermot Gallagher to defend his useless friends again next Monday.

Other than that, we beat ourselves.  Defensively crap for both goals, bin off the zonal marking shit, it does not work.  The second goal was galling.  The smallest man on the pitch, almost, wins an easy header yet again in front of our centre backs.   Trezeguet is a waste of a shirt number, terrible miss, it was easier to score and somehow he fucked it up. Hourihane, El Ghazi are also a waste of a shirt, not good enough for this level.  Four defeats in five, so we really need to beat Newcastle on Friday night.  Very frustrated.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 11:09:32 PM by Steve67 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal