collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

* *  Out Soon  * *  

February 19, 2021, 02:28:51 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1163 | Comments: 16

September 13th, 1986...
February 17, 2021, 12:18:32 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 433 | Comments: 2

There’s certainly a number of ...
February 09, 2021, 10:15:27 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 836 | Comments: 3

This empty wish was a thread o...
February 03, 2021, 02:11:06 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1336 | Comments: 17

Nineteen games gone and we're ...
February 02, 2021, 06:53:05 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 458 | Comments: 0

In normal times, either at Vil...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Maradona - RIP  (Read 5505 times)

Offline aldridgeboy

Re: Maradona - RIP
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2020, 04:09:14 PM »
I see that a three funeral workers have taken selfies next to his open coffin. Two have been killed by Ultras as a result

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2020, 06:52:47 PM »
I see that a three funeral workers have taken selfies next to his open coffin. Two have been killed by Ultras as a result

Doesn't look to be true thankfully.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 14.02.2022
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2020, 07:00:13 PM »
Terry Fenwick nearly breaking his legs and then elbowing him in the face were of course mere examples of rugged masculinity and good old English fair play.

Bloody Terry Fenwick....should have wiped out Maradona for the good goal...even tho he had a yellow already we wouldn’t have missed him

Every time I see that goal I scream out FENWICK!!!

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #168 on: November 28, 2020, 07:11:41 PM »
I mean Maradona obviously. Quite why some can't accept that not everyone thinks he's the bestest ever is bizarre. 
I guess for the same reason as you can't accept that he's the bestest ever.

I'm not the one on this thread telling people their opinion is wrong about him. You are.
Where did I do that?
I wouldn’t bother arguing with him Aftab. He’s always right, even when he is wrong and has to have the last word, it’s one of the unwritten rules of H&V.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 02.03.2021
« Reply #169 on: November 28, 2020, 10:48:46 PM »
Terry Fenwick nearly breaking his legs and then elbowing him in the face were of course mere examples of rugged masculinity and good old English fair play.

Bloody Terry Fenwick....should have wiped out Maradona for the good goal...even tho he had a yellow already we wouldn’t have missed him

Every time I see that goal I scream out FENWICK!!!

https://theathletic.co.uk/1935032/2020/11/25/reconsidered-michael-cox-diego-maradona-1986-world-cup/

From an English perspective, this match is inevitably cast as the devious Argentinian cheating England out of the World Cup (and then scoring, in all fairness to the lad, a well-taken second goal).

What often gets overlooked, however, is the sheer level of physical abuse dished out to Maradona during the game.

This starts after two minutes when Maradona, receiving the ball on the turn inside the centre circle, is bodychecked by Terry Fenwick right in front of the referee. Nothing too unusual about that — Argentina have the ball, play continues. It takes just 30 seconds before he’s fouled for a second time, by Reid, and this time he wins a free kick.

Maradona’s constant determination to dribble inevitably means he attracts fouls, but England take this opportunity rather too liberally. Eight minutes in, Maradona chests the ball down, dribbles inside Kenny Sansom and is chopped down with remarkable force by Fenwick — who is absolutely miles away from the ball, and goes in with a scissor-motion that ensures he brings down Maradona as aggressively as possible.

Having just returned from a suspension for collecting two bookings in the group stage, Fenwick has been booked yet again. For 82 minutes, he’s playing against the world’s best dribbler on a yellow card.

For those 82 minutes, the yellow card should have proved irrelevant. Not because Fenwick was composed enough to resist confrontations with Maradona, but because he could have been shown a straight red card at least twice afterwards.

The most blatant occasion comes five minutes before half-time. Maradona dribbles forward in an inside-left position and slips the ball out to right-sided centre-back Jose Luis Cuciuffo, who responds with a terrible shot that demonstrated why a defender should never wear the No 9 shirt.

Off the ball, though, Maradona had attempted to continue his run in behind Fenwick and been flattened with a blatant elbow. He received treatment from the Argentina physio for a couple of minutes afterwards, and after getting to his feet went up to Fenwick and told him what he thought of the challenge, pointing to him and gesturing with an elbow. Fenwick claimed it was accidental, Maradona shook his head — he wasn’t having any of it.

The second incident came two minutes before the opening goal, and is laced with irony — an Argentina clearance bounces midway between Fenwick and Maradona. The Argentina captain springs up towards the ball, while Fenwick launches himself into the air and leads with his arm. Is he trying to elbow Maradona again? Is he trying to win the ball with his hand?

The real irony is that Fenwick, in trying to cheat, actually loses the header — Maradona gets his head to the ball and knocks it past Fenwick, although he’s unable to get on the end of it because he’s again on the floor holding his head.

Can England complain when, two minutes later, Maradona goes up for an aerial challenge and leads with his arm? Was Maradona inspired by Fenwick’s challenge? Was he initially trying to match England’s aggression and using his elbow for brute force, and then ended up being in a position to handle it in?

On 67 minutes — after both Maradona goals — there’s yet another incident when Fenwick throws his elbow at Maradona. Valdano flicks on a long ball, Maradona and Fenwick are again chasing the second ball, and Fenwick again jumps and throws out an elbow into Maradona’s face. This brings a free kick, although Maradona can’t take it because he’s off the field receiving treatment again for a couple of minutes.

Fenwick isn’t the only offender. There’s a two-footed foul from Beardsley, a strong challenge from Reid after Maradona’s trickery has beaten him, and a trip from Steve Hodge that sends Maradona headlong into a collision with Sansom, which again leaves Argentina’s No 10 holding his head.

Football was refereed differently 34 years ago — watch almost any game from that era and you’ll be shocked by the ferocious tackles and the lack of punishment. But watch the entire 90 minutes here and the physical treatment handed out to Maradona leaves you somewhat less appalled when he cheats Argentina into the lead.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #170 on: November 28, 2020, 10:58:15 PM »
Some of the video's I have seen of him this week just confirm he was a genius with the ball, easily one of the greatest ever.

I actually think the 24/7 coverage we can get of Messi plays against him when they're compared but its uncanny how similar their styles are.

I dont think any other players death will have such a reaction on a nation as this has (Maybe Samatta).

What an absolute fucked up magician he was, absolute legend.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 28.04.2021
« Reply #171 on: November 28, 2020, 11:52:39 PM »
I wouldn’t bother arguing with him Aftab. He’s always right, even when he is wrong and has to have the last word, it’s one of the unwritten rules of H&V.
:)

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 27.01.2022
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2020, 12:26:32 AM »
Disagree with PWS on Maradona, and he has tried to wind me up about this before he died. 😁

But he is one of the forum's good guys and don't think he has done much wrong here tbh.

Online Ad@m

• GM : 07.03.2021
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2020, 01:12:29 AM »
I watched the biopic about him tonight for the first time. 

Got to be honest, he'd have been a cracking player if he had a right foot!

Offline olaftab

« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2020, 12:22:02 PM »
Shilton an the Hand of God pisses me off.Shilton never spoke to the ref when McMahon's shot flew past him ,hit the stanchion and came out and no goal was given.A vital loss of points in the 1970 relegation.
Quite. Apparently it is a firm belief with some England fans that Maradona should have gone up to the ref and told him to cancel the goal whereas that sort of thing never happens in professional football.  You have given the example of Shilton and I remember as a kid being totally shocked when Francis Lee fisted one in at the far post for Man City  and celebrated like a madman without hesitation or guilt

Offline olaftab

« Reply #175 on: November 29, 2020, 12:24:08 PM »
I watched the biopic about him tonight for the first time. 

Got to be honest, he'd have been a cracking player if he had a right foot!
And he would struggle on a wet Tuesday night away at Stoke.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2022
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2020, 05:59:23 AM »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2020, 07:12:44 PM »
Watching the series last night on his time in Mexico as a coach, I never realised just how small he was, 5ft 4. Tiny tree trunk legs, completely destroyed, he could hardly walk at times. It was really sad to see. What amazed me about him as a player, apart from his god-like skill, was his speed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal