collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by AV84
[Today at 07:22:26 AM]

MOTD by RamboandBruno
[Today at 07:10:01 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by john2710
[Today at 06:41:12 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 06:25:57 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:52:31 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:49:43 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:29:25 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:23:08 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 174037 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #300 on: December 20, 2020, 11:25:11 AM »
Where is Leehigh now, still at Forest ?

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #301 on: December 20, 2020, 12:42:19 PM »

He’s playing for a club in Turkey now.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #302 on: December 20, 2020, 10:18:55 PM »

He’s playing for a club in Turkey now.

A lucrative but weird life.  spend most of your youth under extreme stress for a glimpse of glory, admittedly whilst accumulating a decent wedge.  Retired by 36 in a random country and no roots anywhere.  Not sure if I’m jealous or pity him.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #303 on: December 21, 2020, 08:53:32 AM »
This is our best chance of Champions League football in over a decade.

I'm not getting carried away and I don't think its that likely, but...

We score goals
We have the 2nd best defence in the league
We have the best attacking midfielder in the league
We are excellent away from home
We can grind it out, we can be expansive

If we could add 1 or 2 really high quality players to bolster the squad, would you bet against us? As who have you seen who is that much better?

Leicester? Spurs? Everton? Chelsea? Not for me. None of them any better.

It's not the best window to shop in, but win our two games in hand and we're 2nd. I've seen nothing about Man City or our away performances that would suggest that is so wild. Food for thought and I think time to roll the dice and FFP permitting, go again.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #304 on: December 21, 2020, 09:46:49 AM »
The gap in there is that we need to be better at home, currently we're 3rd in the away table but 14th in the home table.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #305 on: December 21, 2020, 09:57:03 AM »
This is our best chance of Champions League football in over a decade.

I'm not getting carried away and I don't think its that likely, but...

We score goals
We have the 2nd best defence in the league
We have the best attacking midfielder in the league
We are excellent away from home
We can grind it out, we can be expansive

If we could add 1 or 2 really high quality players to bolster the squad, would you bet against us? As who have you seen who is that much better?

Leicester? Spurs? Everton? Chelsea? Not for me. None of them any better.

It's not the best window to shop in, but win our two games in hand and we're 2nd. I've seen nothing about Man City or our away performances that would suggest that is so wild. Food for thought and I think time to roll the dice and FFP permitting, go again.

I agree although I thought top 6 might be more realistic. I doubt we will finish above Liverpool, Man U, Man C or Chelsea or probably Spurs but 6th is probably up for grabs competing with the likes of Everton Or Leicester. We need a striker which won’t be easy in a January transfer window. Someone different to Ollie but who compliments him. Sometimes I think we try to walk the ball into the net and aren’t flexible enough to be more direct when needed.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #306 on: December 21, 2020, 11:46:50 AM »
I thought after the Wolves game that if I were one of our players and I would be telling my team mates that we could get Champions League. We need to stop dropping points in home games but I can see us maturing as a side. Even Glenn Hoddle on commentary last night was getting excited about us and made comments like 'we're going places'.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #307 on: December 21, 2020, 11:51:55 AM »
The big difference between this, and last January, is that we are CLEARLY a much more attractive prospect for any player wanting to play at the top level in the premier league.  It's still unlikely we'd be attractive to players expecting champions league football, but anything below that is now definitely within our reach.

I'm excited to see the sort of player we go for.   Will be a WORLD of difference to Baston and Drinkwater I'd imagine...

Offline paul_e

« Reply #308 on: December 21, 2020, 12:06:32 PM »
Just as important is that last January we had very little to spend (because we'd had such a big summer) and 2 players got season ending injuries just as the window was starting, which completely changed the requirements.

We'll never know for sure but I believe the plan coming up to the window was to use the money we had on an experienced midfielder and then to loan in a striker as cover. When the money ended being needed for a first choice striker and we needed a keeper it messed us up because none of the players we'd have identified worked in the new requirements. This year we haven't cut things so tight with the finances so, worst case scenario, we should still have options for whatever business we've decided is needed but also it'd be pretty unlucky to have another game like that Burnley one.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #309 on: December 21, 2020, 12:10:14 PM »
As much as anything, I'm interested to see who Lange has identified (whether that's January or in the summer) and after last summer, I have more trust in our recruitment process.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #310 on: December 21, 2020, 12:25:48 PM »
Biggest difference for me is that we are competing and winning games against the best teams in this league for the first time in donkeys years
in fact we are picking more points up against those teams than ones where we have to break them down first

signings for me apart from long term prospects have to pass one test and that is are they or could they become a top 4/6 team player
that’s the kind of players we need to be signing now imo

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #311 on: December 21, 2020, 12:51:50 PM »
I'd be happy for a bit of cover for Watkins who isn't at that level. But other than a relatively short term signing such as that, I agree entirely John. We have got players who are more than good enough to compete at Premier League level. If we want to improve further we need to start signing "wow" players like Everton did with Rodriguez.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #312 on: December 21, 2020, 01:12:58 PM »
The only major target I'd like to see in this window is a unit in the centre of midfield to bring in when we need to outmuscle teams, to help us win ugly in the games like Burnley where we dominate but are struggling to get over the line, I'm thinking more vieira big and quality though, top 6 standard enforcers rather than the Lerma and Billing style shithouses that some people have mentioned in the last few windows. Other than that quality younger players who are available cheaper than expected and maybe a short term cover option up front would be my aim.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #313 on: December 21, 2020, 02:05:53 PM »
Might have been a different story if Livermore didn't quite achieve what he set out to achieve

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #314 on: December 21, 2020, 05:15:55 PM »
Might have been a different story if Livermore didn't quite achieve what he set out to achieve

I stand correct on this but I'm sure he put in a tackle on him over on the other side of the pitch about 10 minutes before. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal