collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:21:16 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa v Leeds post match thread  (Read 22991 times)

Offline baddowvillans

Re: Villa v Leeds post match thread
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2020, 08:15:50 AM »
Although Leeds had most of the possession we had the best chances up to the goal and looks the most likely to score.  After that we capitulated far too easily.  Loved that fabulous run by Jack but he has a moment in the area where he could have feinted left and slid it to Oli wide right.  Instead he just ran into and closed down the space  for both of them.  I'm with Risso in that moment will be used by Southgate, Souness and all as why Jack " can't be trusted " by England. 

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2020, 08:17:11 AM »
Let's have no more games on Friday. In fact, let's have them all on Sunday night or Monday, because when there is no weekend upcoming to ruin, we actually play well and win; give us a chance to ruin a whole weekend, oh boy, do we take that chance.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2020, 08:33:23 AM »
Jacks run was the sliding doors moment. Stick it in and it’s one of the goals of all time, however hindsight tells us that the easy pass to Watkins and it’s one nil. That said, Leeds were amazing in their athleticism, and the way they dropped in when out of possession is something we can learn from. 

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2020, 08:42:19 AM »
The ref did us no favours
Penalty on Jack
Should have been a second yellow and it looked like Bamford stamped on Mings when he tried to get a penalty.

I thought the same Chicago.
Overall, I felt we shaded the first half and then Dirty Leeds the second.
It's one game, let's beat Southampton

Offline villabear

« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2020, 08:49:05 AM »
I didn’t even watch it and it still feels like a big kick in the knackers but in perspective who wouldn’t have taken one loss and four wins so far.

We go again........oh

Online jwarry

« Reply #185 on: October 24, 2020, 08:55:33 AM »
I thought Leeds were excellent and Bielsa worked us out, particularly second half as Jack hardly had a kick.  It was going to happen sometime and my only worry was how we responded after going a goal down as I though the days of capitulation were over.  I’m sure Dean will be pointing this out over the coming days though!

Offline bugdozer

• I was a teenage armchair (̶H̶o̶n̶v̶e̶d̶) Villa fan
« Reply #186 on: October 24, 2020, 08:56:43 AM »
Tell you what, Gary, the one thing that Leeds didn't lack was something they had in abundance and that one thing was pace, movement and desire.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2020, 08:58:36 AM »
In the cold light of day, I think pretty much the same as I did last night when half cut. Even first half, second half the game for me was lost in the middle of the park where luiz and Barkley didn’t get anywhere near matching their energy and McGinn who I thought had a really good 1st half, faded. That allowed the ball to be frequently sprayed out wide, both their wingers had excellent games but cash in particular was given no protection by Trez who had is first really poor performance of the season. It would of been a worldly from Jack, but overall Bielsa had done his homework on him, that’s several games when he could of played in Watkins earlier but chose to beat an extra man. Thought Watkins continued to work hard and looks a good forward, but needs better service.
All in all poor performance and didn’t match up to them physically or tactically.
However, we’ve had an excellent start to the season, so let’s not write off smith tactically or individual players just yet.
Southampton will be interesting as I think they play a very similar hard fast pressing game, as Leeds, so hopefully we will deal with it more effectively.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
The one thing I did take from last night is that you can and we did get at that Leeds back 4. Despite the last half hour collapse we did create scoring opportunities and with a more clinical approach could have had 2 or 3 goals. That said we deserved to lose and need to have a look at what went wrong both tactically and the players mentality.

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2020, 09:31:03 AM »
That reminded me of the 0-3 home defeat to Wimbledon all those years ago.

In form, looking good, and then bosh!
I remember early home defeats in previous years.
89/90. Lost 3-1 to QPR. Trevor Francis hat trick.
And also 92/93 lost 3-1 to Chelsea.
And we know what happened in those two seasons.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2020, 09:33:10 AM »
As Smith said and Bielsa said; if we took our chances before they scored then it's a totally different game.

Leeds' approach will see them pick up some great wins, but in a lot of those games they'll be lucky not to concede.

4 wins out of 5 for us. Amazing start - let's not get too down.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2020, 09:43:30 AM »
Not seen the game but let's be honest I think Bielsa has Smith's number. The 2 games in 2018/9 showed that to me.

I thought Conor H would have been a great sub on last night remembering how he was in that April 19 match. But Smith went for his usual change and does seem to lack a certain tactical flair.

Still, no one expected 12 points from the first 5 so great start Villa !

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2020, 09:45:12 AM »
Overall so far this season it's not a big issue however I hate losing on Friday night as it means I can't laugh at other teams during the weekend.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2020, 09:50:03 AM »
I wouldn't try to over analysis the game too much. They were the better side and even though we wasn't as good as we have been, we could have scored 4 ourselves. We've made a start none of us expected. Last night is one to write off and put right next time round.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2020, 09:53:55 AM »
We have a way of playing and the players to do it, Leeds have theirs. Last night, Bielsa's way beat Smith's. It pains me to my very core to say it, but Leeds were stunning. If they can keep that up, they'll be finishing very high up the table.

But still the last thing I want to see is Aston Villa taking to the field set up primarily to stop the opposition. There's virtually no other side capable of doing what Leeds did last night, and that was the level of performance required to beat us, so good luck to anybody else who watched that and thinks they've also sussed how to do it. Yeah, they might have worked it out, but there's hardly any with enough players of Leeds' ilk at their disposal to put it into effect .

Hats off to Leeds, they look like they're going to do more than alright. And so will we.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal