collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 01:03:39 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Photo ID now required to purchase tickets  (Read 15795 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Photo ID now required to purchase tickets
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2020, 09:35:59 AM »
If there is an argument with regards to Covid management then I don't have an issue, however if it continues beyond that it will certainly be a negative rather than anything positive.

I think that's my take on it as well.  They've said that it's a covid measure, and at this point I'm prepared to believe them.  And as I'm desperate to get back to a live game, I've uploaded my photo ready for if we ever do get let back in.  There would be no good reason for it to continue after that though. 

I don't think it would work after that anyway though.  I had four season tickets last year, what are they going to do, print my ugly mug on all four of them?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2020, 09:55:14 AM »
I'm not sure how it works as a Covid measure? Unless the argument is that it makes it easier to identify and ban those breaking the rules, in which case the arguments against would be exactly the same as those against ID cards.

Furthermore, say you want to buy a ticket as a present for someone, or surprise someone by taking them to their first game. How do you do that if you have to get them to pose for a photo first?

I hope the club reconsider this nonsense.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2020, 10:03:50 AM »
If we get back in soon, pre-vaccine, it'll be at a massively reduced capacity, and it will be relatively easy to verify in the turnstile area that you are in fact the person on the data base that they have accurate tracking information for.

Offline Risso

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »
I'm not sure how it works as a Covid measure? Unless the argument is that it makes it easier to identify and ban those breaking the rules, in which case the arguments against would be exactly the same as those against ID cards.

Furthermore, say you want to buy a ticket as a present for someone, or surprise someone by taking them to their first game. How do you do that if you have to get them to pose for a photo first?

It's going to be a ballot of existing season ticket holders if we do get back in, so the scenario you describe won't be allowed to happen I think.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2020, 10:32:59 AM »
I guess when they'll be trying to seat people in Covid bubbles, the idea that tickets should not be transferrable is one of the measures they need to be able to prove they are following.  Having photo id's will discourage people from transferring tickets which could breach these measures.  I've no problem with that if it helps get as many fans as possible back in the ground as soon as possible.

I agree that I can't see any need for it in the future when we are back to normality.  With that said it wouldn't really bother me personally if my photo was on my ticket or not - it would never be policed at the turnstyle unless facial recognition was brought in and I don't think the club would dare consider that.  I've seen people in their 20's borrow a senior citizen ticket and still get in with no problem, so some tiny grainy photo is hardly likely to be getting people stopped at the turnstyle. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2020, 10:34:35 AM »

It's going to be a ballot of existing season ticket holders if we do get back in, so the scenario you describe won't be allowed to happen I think.

I meant more long-term, when we are back at full capacity.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2020, 10:49:35 AM »
From the Premier League website regarding the earlier Brighton trial
- In line with the UK Government's track and trace, the named owner of the ticket must attend the match, with the transfer of tickets strictly forbidden.
- Named photographic ID must be shown on entry and must match the name on the ticket. Entry will not be permitted without your photo ID and match ticket being verified
which is admittedly different from the approach we're adopting, but I don't think there's grounds to suspect it's any kind of anti-libertarian clampdown. Yet, anyway.
The clubs already hold enough information to identify either any miscreants or those passing them tickets.

Offline Risso

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2020, 01:11:17 PM »

God knows when that will be though.  If they try to retain it when capacity returns to 100%, I'll join you at the barricades.  Until then though, it doesn't seem like a big ask.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2020, 01:19:34 PM »
I can sort-of understand it at the moment but the suddenness with which it's been implemented and the lack of consultation is disturbing.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
Maybe they're just trying to try get ahead whilst they have the staff and capacity to administer it.  They will be aware of the Brighton game requirements and may have been told this will be a pre-requisite for any future games during Covid. 

As for suddenness, I suppose they could have sent out a messgae saying at some point in the future we'll be asking for photos, but what would be the point?

Maybe I'm naieve and it's all part of some nefarious plot, but it doesn't feel like it to me.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2020, 01:52:19 PM »
How about the older ST holders, who haven't got smart phones or laptops, and have no intention of getting one of them, what are they suppose to do?

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »
How about the older ST holders, who haven't got smart phones or laptops, and have no intention of getting one of them, what are they suppose to do?

They'll be got in touch with in the same way as normal and then go from there, I suppose. The club need a photo of you, that's all. I'd hope there's some provision whereby you can physically take one into or at the ticket office.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2020, 03:32:10 PM »
I'm currently re-reading 1984 …..no reference to the Villa and Photo ID  thus far :)

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2020, 04:11:11 PM »
I'm currently re-reading 1984 …..no reference to the Villa and Photo ID  thus far :)

Give it time, becomes a bit of a nightmare.

Spoiler for Hiden:
We lose in the League Cup semi-final.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2020, 04:55:13 PM »

God knows when that will be though.  If they try to retain it when capacity returns to 100%, I'll join you at the barricades.  Until then though, it doesn't seem like a big ask.

There is no way they would introduce it then do away with it. I bet you a million pounds it will still be in place if and when we are at full capacity again (of Woodhall's money, I'm skint).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal