collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Last summer’s transfer window  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Last summer’s transfer window
« on: October 20, 2020, 06:55:56 AM »
I think it’s time for a reappraisal of our business last summer, which attracted a lot of criticism throughout the season. Konsa, Luiz, Trezeguet not looking so bad now are they? Maybe some of the others will prove their worth in time if they can get into this new, improved team?

Konsa and Mings alone look worth our total outlay.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:22:35 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Online kippaxvilla2

Re: Last summer’s transfer window
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 08:06:18 AM »
Jesus needs to rise again.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 08:23:13 AM »
I was less critical of the signings during the season .... although I was also less critical of Bruce up until a couple of weeks before cabbagegate and defended TSM for longer than most - so it's more nature than clairvoyance! But my feeling was that we brought a lot of players who were new to the league, new to the country, new to eachother - and it didn't take much to puncture their confidence. It wasn't that they were generally bad players.

Anyway, for me:
Konsa, Mings, Luiz - definite bargains
Targett, Trez - seem to have taken time to adapt, but look bargains
Engels, Wes, Heaton - all had bad injuries, so jury's out
Nakamba, Guilbert - not great or not fancied, but we've got what we paid for
AEG, Hause, Samatta, Jota, Drinkwater, Baston - disappointing

I'd argue the summer transfer business wasn't that bad, but injuries & the January transfers dragged it down to looking hit & miss. The only real blunder for me is Samatta - the rest of the players who've been disappointing were cheap punts to bulk out the squad.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:26:08 AM by algy »

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 09:39:59 AM »
I was less critical of the signings during the season .... although I was also less critical of Bruce up until a couple of weeks before cabbagegate and defended TSM for longer than most - so it's more nature than clairvoyance! But my feeling was that we brought a lot of players who were new to the league, new to the country, new to eachother - and it didn't take much to puncture their confidence. It wasn't that they were generally bad players.

Anyway, for me:
Konsa, Mings, Luiz - definite bargains
Targett, Trez - seem to have taken time to adapt, but look bargains
Engels, Wes, Heaton - all had bad injuries, so jury's out
Nakamba, Guilbert - not great or not fancied, but we've got what we paid for
AEG, Hause, Samatta, Jota, Drinkwater, Baston - disappointing

I'd argue the summer transfer business wasn't that bad, but injuries & the January transfers dragged it down to looking hit & miss. The only real blunder for me is Samatta - the rest of the players who've been disappointing were cheap punts to bulk out the squad.
pretty much agree with your whole post Algy- we’ll put. The only thing I can’t really fathom is Guilbert. To me he’s always looked decent, but have to concede that Cash looks a very good upgrade, but I don’t think Guilbert is at much less of a level than Targett at left back. He’s only young too, so hopefully he learns more and we have two really good players in that position. I think they must have just seen something in Cash to convince them to ‘splash the Cash’ for Matty, that maybe we wouldn’t have seen as fans?

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 09:44:50 AM »
The Guilbert situation is precisely the sort of thing clubs do when they're at the level to which we aspire.  Just because a player is pretty good, and no-one has any real complaints about them, is no reason not to take the opportunity to look for a better player when they become available.

If our improvement continues over the next few years, I look forward to seeing players we thought were plenty good enough to play for us being replaced by even better ones.  Players we think of as "almost first name on the team sheet" today, becoming squad players.  That's when we'll know we're back among the top sides.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 10:16:04 AM »
Konsa, Mings, Luiz, Trez, Heaton (Even with injury)  - I'd say value for money at this time. Could transpire to be 'bargains' but other than Luiz would we get much more than our outlay currently, not sure. A good season from Luiz and he could readily be a 50m player - Brazilian international helps.

Targett,  - lot of money for a player who probably wouldn't get in most teams, though showing signs of improvement

Wes - I honestly think with him in the 3-5-2 formation v Burnley he played exceptionally well. We simplywon't know for a good few months

Guilbert - not great or not fancied, but we've got what we paid for. Agree.

Nakamba, Engels, AEG, Hause, Samatta, Jota, Drinkwater, Baston - disappointing. Of those still here I wouldn't like to see them as other than match day subs. We signed 4-5 first teamers during the recent window to ensure they largely will be

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 10:23:36 AM »
The main thing for me last year was the decision to go into the new season with the untried Wesley as our only real striking option.  It was a dangerous gamble to take.  This year, the quality of players bought seems to be higher, but we again seem to have gambled on one main striker in Watkins staying fit.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 10:41:33 AM »
We'd already be looking at getting back double what we paid for Konsa and Mings. The former is now shining in the best defence in the league while we bought the latter as a utility player with little Premier experience and a reputation for injuries and we'd be selling an England regular. If Trez keeps up his form treble what we paid is possible and Luiz really would be a bidding war.

El Ghazi hasn't improved but again we'd be selling a Premier League player with all that that entails for resale value, Hause cost pennies and again will have appreciated in value with experience. Guilbert and Targett might at the moment be losses. We'll have to see if Nakamba has benefitted in the same way as the others, while the rest were either cheap/free and been discarded or have got injuries to get over. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 11:38:24 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Risso

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »
Konsa and Luiz are now showing the consistency their undoubted talent hinted at at various points last season.  They both looked hugely improved after the restart, and have carried on this season in the same vein. Targett looks better than last season, but is still my main concern in the team, and I would think left back will be next on the list of areas to improve.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 11:37:29 AM »
I definitely think Konsa, Mings, and Luiz have doubled in value and Freddie Guilbert looks to be a back up at the moment and Targett is improving and Trez as been brilliant for us.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 11:44:41 AM »
el ghazi was £4.5m and hause was £3m. they are decent squad players.

i also thought wesley was having his most effective game away at burnley as well. look forward to seeing him back.

like the rest of the defence, targett has played better in empty stadiums. i imagine a combination of being able to better communicate with each other, listen to instructions from the bench, and not having to put up with crap from braying idiots in the crowd.

Offline Risso

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »
Hause isn't really decent though is he?  Hopefully Engels can get back to something like his early season form last year, and benefits from the increase in stability throughout the rest of the team, if called upon.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 12:20:39 PM »
I dont think Hause has been too bad, the whole 'playing out from the back' doesn't suit him too much but he's quick and strong in the air. We'd make a profit if we sold him on.

Offline Risso

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 12:27:48 PM »
I dont think Hause has been too bad, the whole 'playing out from the back' doesn't suit him too much but he's quick and strong in the air. We'd make a profit if we sold him on.

I think there's two arguments.  He's not completely awful and we'd make a profit if we sold him on, but do I want him playing in defence for us in the new and improved Aston Villa?  Not one bit.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 12:34:04 PM »
Konsa, Mings, Luiz - brilliant signings.
Trez - unsung hero, good signing
Engels, Wes, Heaton -I've liked what I've seen; though we've signed players who, so far, have proven better in Konsa, Watkins and Martinez
Targett - doing ok right now and causes problems with Jack on the left, also part of the best defence in the division
Nakamba, Guilbert,  -  can do a job and will improve
AEG, Hause,  - squad players who at the time were better than what we had. AEG in particular scored some vital goals,
Samatta, Jota, Drinkwater, Baston - just not good enough, the first two worth a punt, the last two just weren't.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal