collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 0 v Stoke 1 Post-Match Thread  (Read 15394 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Aston Villa 0 v Stoke 1 Post-Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »
The single redeeming feature - will hopefully serve as a reminder that we are not yet capable or strong enough to field a second 11 anywhere near the quality needed.

All 10 can go (I’ll give Ramsey the one pass)

So you'd get rid of Traore after a couple of games?

He was certainly the biggest worry for me out there tonight
the rest I know what they are but Traore was supposedly the upgrade on the wingers

can’t judge him on that one performance but if you can’t shine against Stokes seconds then it’s not looking good when it comes to top teams in the prem

So, you are judging him on one performance then?

No, he isn't.

It does sound like it if he suggesting if he cant do it against Stoke, he won't do it against the top teams. It's his second game.

I know your a massive troll

but 2 games is all we can talk about because that’s all we’ve seen so far what else are we supposed to do

Cut that out, please.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »
Ivo's full-time verdict

Steer - perhaps it's still an aura of penalty saves at West Brom about him, but he always looks compentent to me. Amazing how many dodgy keepers we have signed ahead of him (in particular that lad on load from Spain)

Gilbert - a couple of weeks ago, I was like "do we really need Matty Cash"..? Answer: YES
Elmohamady - normally 7/10 but dropped down to 6.5/10 for a miscontrol into touch near the end
Hause - I sometimes suspect he passes the ball to the opposition because he knows his strengths are defending out of possession
Taylor - not the worst offender for backwards passes tonight but still does his level best to thwart us attacking down the left. At one point the commentator started rhapsodising about Taylor's attacking process whilst declaring Gilbert a defender-only full-back...

Nakamba - at least he has some urgency about his play. Not sure why he was playing further ahead of Lansbury second half.
Lansbury - not only does he only pass backwards but he has to do so in the fashion of a golfer chipping out of a bunker. Please God don't let him reappear in the FA Cup 3rd round.
Ramsey - faded in the second half, still showed much more invention than Lansbury

El Ghazi - drives me potty, so much talent so little urgency. Can we fit him with a shock collar so that Dean can zap him when he takes a second and then third unnecessary touch. Did a Grealish by coming far too deep near the end. Still capable of putting in an inviting cross on occassion, one right at the death to the back post was begging to be headed in.
Davis - really disappointed with him tonight. He no longer seems like that player who had the barnstormer on his full debut against Norwich. Watching him you can understand why they say "the first yard is in your head". We must get another striker in before deadline day because the other option is...
Traore - ...who apparently the French fans weren't distraught to see leave. You know you have signed a good player when the Brentford, Forest or Arsenal fans are gutted to see their man leave. Trezeguet improved without playing tonight.

Subs
Konza - not really troubled by Stoke who were happy to defend
Watkins - quick to force the Stoke keeper into a save, starved of service afterwards.
Jota - I would have played him instead of Lansbury (with Nakamba pushed back). At least he tries to pass forwards.

Overall: anyone think we should have played a stronger team tonight seeing as Liverpool will beat us anyhow? I am desperate to see Jack win something with the Villa (particularly to validate his contract extension) and now we only have the FA Cup to dream of this season.

Pretty much spot on again, Ivo. Only thing missing was our complete lack of tactics. Dean should go knock on the away team door and ask O'Neil for his arse back.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2020, 09:51:21 PM »
The single redeeming feature - will hopefully serve as a reminder that we are not yet capable or strong enough to field a second 11 anywhere near the quality needed.

He was certainly the biggest worry for me out there tonight
the rest I know what they are but Traore was supposedly the upgrade on the wingers

can’t judge him on that one performance but if you can’t shine against Stokes seconds then it’s not looking good when it comes to top teams in the prem

So, you are judging him on one performance then?

No, he isn't.

It does sound like it if he suggesting if he cant do it against Stoke, he won't do it against the top teams. It's his second game.

I know your a massive troll

but 2 games is all we can talk about because that’s all we’ve seen so far what else are we supposed to do

Cut that out, please.

ok
but he does my head in everyone on here knows what he is it’s no secret

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2020, 09:52:20 PM »

but he does my head in everyone on here knows what he is it’s no secret

If you're going down that road perhaps you should take the rest op the evening off.

Online rougegorge

« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2020, 09:53:25 PM »
How many times does our second string squad need to show Dean that they are not very good?

As soon as saw the line up, I wanted my £10 back!

Apart from the obvious players tonight, the rest belong in the bomb squad and if Messrs Smith, Lange & Purslow have said that we are done in the transfer market as far as further incomings are concerned, then we need to wrap the first team in cotton wool & pray for no injuries.

I know Davis has just earned a new contract but he needs to go out on loan for his sake and my anger management.

For Sale / Loan ASAP :- Davis, AEG, Hause, Taylor, Lansbury, Jota, Kalinic, Nyland.

That same second string squad won the previous two rounds.
Last week maybe but not at Burton where Jack has to bail us out.

Also it wasn't Stoke's first choice eleven either.

Offline Jaffa

« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2020, 09:53:43 PM »
How many times does our second string squad need to show Dean that they are not very good?

Apart from the obvious players tonight, the rest belong in the bomb squad and if Messrs Smith, Lange & Purslow have said that we are done in the transfer market as far as further incomings are concerned, then we need to wrap the first team in cotton wool & pray for no injuries.

I know Davis has just earned a new contract but he needs to go out on loan for his sake and my anger management.

For Sale / Loan ASAP :- Davis, AEG, Hause, Taylor, Lansbury, Jota, Kalinic, Nyland.

We had Mings, Jack and Ollie against Burton but I agree Dave, but why didn’t they play like they did a week ago against Bristol City? - no consistency

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2020, 09:54:10 PM »

Harsh perhaps but I would. He was everything tonight that many sources have said he is - half arsed, poor on the ball, lacked discipline.

It’s not just harsh, it’s absolutely ridiculous. I don’t know whether he’ll succeed or not, but drawing a line under him after two games is just nonsense.

But it isn’t just two games - that’s like ignoring his whole professional career. He has played over 200 top flight professional games in his career - ignoring 198 is what’s ridiculous

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2020, 09:54:40 PM »

We had Mings, Jack and Ollie against Burton but I agree Dave, but why didn’t they play like they did a week ago against Bristol City? - no consistency

Maybe a bit of complacency, maybe they didn't know how to cope with stronger opposition- who knows?.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2020, 09:54:47 PM »
With all due respect those people saying they aren’t bothered by it obviously aren’t interested in Villa doing what they and us are in football for.  To win things like er trophies.  24 Fcukin years.
Absolutely. Tonight was for a place in the quarter final. Right now there are other priorities, I get that, but I grew up with my dad telling me that winning trophies was in the DNA of Aston Villa football club. I'll get over it of course but I am fucking gutted.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2020, 09:55:53 PM »

That's just it. It wasn't the line up as such, it was the performance. It wasn't great to say the least.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2020, 09:57:09 PM »
With all due respect those people saying they aren’t bothered by it obviously aren’t interested in Villa doing what they and us are in football for.  To win things like er trophies.  24 Fcukin years.
Absolutely. Tonight was for a place in the quarter final. Right now there are other priorities, I get that, but I grew up with my dad telling me that winning trophies was in the DNA of Aston Villa football club. I'll get over it of course but I am fucking gutted.

Clubs aren't in football to win things anymore. They exist to be in two leagues that haver led us to situations like tonight.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2020, 09:57:41 PM »
I think Ivo Stas put it best.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2020, 09:58:48 PM »
In what was mostly an abomination of a 2019/2020 season a highlight was our cup run and playing so well against Man City only to lose narrowly. I would have loved another one of those coupled with a much steadier league campaign. I don’t like this “It’s only the League Cup“ attitude. We’re not at the top of the tree where you might have to make a choice. Not even close. But then you see how many FA Cups Arsenal have won in recent years or that a Man City have won the past 4 LC’s. It’s important to learn how to win to create that culture of accomplishment.

I’m pretty sure Jack Grealish is mightily fucked off tonight.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2020, 09:59:55 PM »
100%, this side dispatched comfortably a better side arguably, have let themselves and Smithy down.

80% of tonight’s team will not get game time until January with a bit of luck.

Roll on Sunday

Offline RamboandBruno

Re: Aston Villa 0 v Stoke 1 How the hell did we survive post match thread
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2020, 10:07:26 PM »
And there's me thinking that playing like that was behind us.

Why? Does any team play well every game? Didn't Man City just concede five at home? Didn't Bayern Munich just lose to a village team? Nobody plays well every match. The season so far suggests we have already made massive strides on last season and I don't think we need to abandon all hope after one poor performance against a well organised team.

Spot on.

Yes this. That was shite, but meh. Gutted to go out of a competition that we could of won, but we had a game 3 days ago and another in 3 days time. The idea of playing a stronger side tonight because we are bound to lose to Liverpool is bizarre, if smith actually did that he would be crucified.
So lots of our second 11 aren’t good enough, well hello apart from Man City and Liverpool, most teams second 11 isn’t that good.
We do need another couple in, but not necessarily now, we’ve done enough this summer and need a period of consolidation before getting more players in. It’s all a work in progress.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal