collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 0 v Stoke 1 Post-Match Thread  (Read 15393 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Aston Villa 0 v Stoke 1 How the hell did we survive post match thread
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2020, 09:18:58 PM »
That team selection tonight screamed out "we couldn't give a shit about the league cup".

It was the same as last weeks.

Did Bristol knock out a strong Wolves side? The selection was piss poor and naive.

How was it naive? He picked the team he wanted for the stage of the season we're at.

richtheholtender

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2020, 09:21:42 PM »
Ivo's full-time verdict

Steer - perhaps it's still an aura of penalty saves at West Brom about him, but he always looks compentent to me. Amazing how many dodgy keepers we have signed ahead of him (in particular that lad on load from Spain)

Gilbert - a couple of weeks ago, I was like "do we really need Matty Cash"..? Answer: YES
Elmohamady - normally 7/10 but dropped down to 6.5/10 for a miscontrol into touch near the end
Hause - I sometimes suspect he passes the ball to the opposition because he knows his strengths are defending out of possession
Taylor - not the worst offender for backwards passes tonight but still does his level best to thwart us attacking down the left. At one point the commentator started rhapsodising about Taylor's attacking process whilst declaring Gilbert a defender-only full-back...

Nakamba - at least he has some urgency about his play. Not sure why he was playing further ahead of Lansbury second half.
Lansbury - not only does he only pass backwards but he has to do so in the fashion of a golfer chipping out of a bunker. Please God don't let him reappear in the FA Cup 3rd round.
Ramsey - faded in the second half, still showed much more invention than Lansbury

El Ghazi - drives me potty, so much talent so little urgency. Can we fit him with a shock collar so that Dean can zap him when he takes a second and then third unnecessary touch. Did a Grealish by coming far too deep near the end. Still capable of putting in an inviting cross on occassion, one right at the death to the back post was begging to be headed in.
Davis - really disappointed with him tonight. He no longer seems like that player who had the barnstormer on his full debut against Norwich. Watching him you can understand why they say "the first yard is in your head". We must get another striker in before deadline day because the other option is...
Traore - ...who apparently the French fans weren't distraught to see leave. You know you have signed a good player when the Brentford, Forest or Arsenal fans are gutted to see their man leave. Trezeguet improved without playing tonight.

Subs
Konza - not really troubled by Stoke who were happy to defend
Watkins - quick to force the Stoke keeper into a save, starved of service afterwards.
Jota - I would have played him instead of Lansbury (with Nakamba pushed back). At least he tries to pass forwards.

Overall: anyone think we should have played a stronger team tonight seeing as Liverpool will beat us anyhow? I am desperate to see Jack win something with the Villa (particularly to validate his contract extension) and now we only have the FA Cup to dream of this season. (Also it sticks in my throat that Small Heath have won "our trophy" more recently than us.)

Final thoughts: wish I had sought out that Romanian stream rather than forking out £10 of my hard-earned cash.

Overall- I completely agree.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2020, 09:22:42 PM »
AEG getting stick but was our best player 2nd half, whilst Traore was very poor.

Steer, AEG, Nakamba and Elmo all did OK. The rest not very good.

Smith gets 1 out of 10, he basically decided he didn't want to be in the competition.

I thought AEG was ok too. Was involved in anything good we did second half, generally through his own hard work. Made a number of poor passes/decisions too but was always involved anyway. Jota wasn't too bad either when he came on, should have brought him on a lot earlier. He'll get a move I think. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2020, 09:23:13 PM »
If Hause is injured does that we have no cover at all in central defence?  That's one area that still needs strengthening this window.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2020, 09:23:47 PM »
If Hause is injured does that we have no cover at all in central defence?  That's one area that still needs strengthening this window.

Engels?

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2020, 09:23:51 PM »
The single redeeming feature - will hopefully serve as a reminder that we are not yet capable or strong enough to field a second 11 anywhere near the quality needed.

All 10 can go (I’ll give Ramsey the one pass)

Offline Legion

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2020, 09:24:37 PM »
The single redeeming feature - will hopefully serve as a reminder that we are not yet capable or strong enough to field a second 11 anywhere near the quality needed.

Steer as well?

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2020, 09:25:00 PM »
I guess despite the new contract Davis knows he is now 3rd choice and will be 4th once Wesley is back.

Online timeoutbigbar

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2020, 09:25:27 PM »
We were shit.  This lot won't get a look in.  Next.

richtheholtender

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2020, 09:25:55 PM »
Rubbish to a man but fortunately most of those players will get very little PL time all being well.

It annoys me that I'm not more annoyed by going out of the cup though

You say that but Davis, Elmo and Taylor nearly always make up the bench. Don’t ask me either
Davis, Elmo and Taylor can do a 10 minute job or so from the bench. Reliable to an extent. Give them right conditions and they ok. Wasn't the night tonight but Elmo was fine and Davis and Taylor showed what we know - limited.

I’ve sort of had enough of these three, the later two in particular. We aren’t going to get anything out of them, they offer next to nothing. I’d sooner turn to the bench and see Jota & Gilbert.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2020, 09:26:56 PM »

So you'd get rid of Traore after a couple of games?

Offline ez

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2020, 09:27:07 PM »
A game that shows the importance of the first 11 avoiding injuries.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2020, 09:27:16 PM »
Awful. No movement, no magic & not even the basic physical effort.

Hopefully the majority of these players will not be near the first team in the league games.

Offline Legion

Re: Aston Villa 0 v Stoke 1 Post-Match Thread
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2020, 09:27:38 PM »

Traore too?

Offline mr woo

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2020, 09:29:25 PM »
AEG getting stick but was our best player 2nd half, whilst Traore was very poor.

Steer, AEG, Nakamba and Elmo all did OK. The rest not very good.

Smith gets 1 out of 10, he basically decided he didn't want to be in the competition.

I thought AEG was ok too. Was involved in anything good we did second half, generally through his own hard work. Made a number of poor passes/decisions too but was always involved anyway. Jota wasn't too bad either when he came on, should have brought him on a lot earlier. He'll get a move I think.

Being involved isn't enough.  Touching the ball is being involved.

Doing something with it is the difference.  The guy wasn't the worst tonight by any stretch, but his execution in possession was poor until we increased the tempo with 10 mins to go.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal