collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread  (Read 20970 times)

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: September 22, 2020, 08:56:44 AM »
Delighted to win against a side who are a pain in the ass to breakdown at the best of times, let alone when they stick 9 behind the ball.
Rusty performance from us but cannot discount this was their first proper game and up against a side whose already got one under their belt.

The final ball/killer instinct was lacking. Thought Watkins effort was heading top bins (unlucky) - he worked hard and will be a good player for us

Matty Cash - loved his energy - very assured first start

Martinez - nice to have a keeper where i dont shit myself when they have the ball

Shout out to Konsa who i thought was superb last night and MOTM for me.

This game highlighted our flaws and what we still need. Crying out for a new CM, hopefully we can get one in soon. Also another wideman/striker

Additional areas - id love us to be looking at a new left back. Targett is poor

Overall, happy with the 3 points and pleased we seem to have a backbone at long last

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #226 on: September 22, 2020, 09:00:38 AM »
I think we'll see Davis starting through the middle with Watkins and Traore either side before long. And it will be a good thing, and we shall prosper.

Not a chance in my opinion.  For a start it would mean moving Grealish back into midfield, which Smith really seems not to like doing.  The first choice front three with obviously be Jack/Watkins/Traore before long.  I think both Traore and Watkins can alternate between up front and out wide, so can't see Davis being a regular at all.  Hope not anyway.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #227 on: September 22, 2020, 09:06:04 AM »
I thought we did ok against a side who were forced to sit back and defend. It was mostly one sided and we maybe tried too hard to score at times but they did close us down whenever we tried to shoot from distance. There's a lot of positives to take and room for improvement but I'm pleased overall. It's points on the board and hopefully with some additions, it could be a lot more comfortable than it was last season.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #228 on: September 22, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
Jack very ineffective when they more or less doubled up on him.  He got significantly better when they surprisingly took Basham off.  It’s why we need more than just Jack as our creative option.  Others simply have to step up.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2020, 09:15:07 AM »
I think we'll see Davis starting through the middle with Watkins and Traore either side before long. And it will be a good thing, and we shall prosper.

Not a chance in my opinion.  For a start it would mean moving Grealish back into midfield, which Smith really seems not to like doing.  The first choice front three with obviously be Jack/Watkins/Traore before long.  I think both Traore and Watkins can alternate between up front and out wide, so can't see Davis being a regular at all.  Hope not anyway.

For me, Jack's only that far forward because of the lack of threat we had in those areas previously. That's changed and I expect him to drop back in, it's why we haven't gone big on another central midfielder.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2020, 09:15:59 AM »
Playing against Sheff Utd is difficult at the best of times, even more so when one of them gets sent off.  So under those circumstances I was encouraged by last night's display, especially knowing that last season we would of capitulated and surrendered that lead.

I thought Martinez was excelent and it seemed that both Mings and Konsa were more at ease knowing that they had a decent keeper behind them. It's been a very long time since I have seen a keeper of ours come out and take a ball in the box so confidently. As for the penalty, it was just a shame the Holte were not behind him to show there support. It would of been an amazing sight to see.

Konsa was also very good last night and he did his chances for an England call-up in the future no harm at all with Southgate in attendance. He could make that right side of defence his own and for me he is already better than what we currently play there (Stones, Gomez).

Cash was excellent. Some of those crosses in the first half were on par with what Alexander-Arnold sends in for Liverpool. Again, I am sure Southgate would of been impressed.

As for the rest of the team, Mings seemed assured at the back, but I cannot say the same for Targett. We need better.
I thought both Jack and McGinn were disappointing. McGinn it seems is still finding his way back from injury but there were glimpses of the old SJM. Jack out wide was totally ineffective and exacty where the Sheff Utd defenders wanted him. Hourihane played well in parts I thought, but that's just it...in parts.
Luiz will be a big player for us this year and is pretty much orchestrating everything through the middle of the park. Fingers crossed he keeps injury free this season.

For all his hard work, Trez is ineffective and flatters to decieve. Watkins I thought is already a major upgrade on Wes and Samatta. However, he will need better service than what he received last night.

Overall, I thought we did well in spells last night but there is plenty of room for improvement. We still need at least 3 additions to the team and would like to see someone like Danny Rose at left back, another left-sided midfielder and hopefully another winger/forward like Rashica to takeover from Trez.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2020, 09:26:34 AM »
I also agree with Dave Shelley because he is my mate.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2020, 09:39:18 AM »
Dreadful performance but got the win. Martinez made a great save from the penalty and looked very assured in air and with his feet. Very very little to get enthused about that aside. So much to complain about but our inability in last 15 minutes to find a colleague with a throw in really took the piss. Davis was standing about 10 yards from Cash each time but he couldn't seem to find him!

Some age old problems. Is there another team where three of the back four are at fault for a penalty? Smith using only one sub, somehow Hourihane first man off leaving McGinn and Trez to stink out the 90 mins plus. Targett remains a glaring liability on the left but wasn't helped by our captain deciding to play where he wanted in the second half leaving the left flank free. Even the pitch seemed a bit dry? Ball certainly didn't zip around.

Martinez 7, Cash 6, Konsa 6, Mings 6, Targett 3, Luiz 6, Hourihane 6, Trez 2, McGinn 4, Grealish 6, Watkins 5. Davis 7.

Dreadful performance? I know it's all about opinions but that is just nonsense. It was a mostly one sided game and they actually defended very well. Judging by your posts though, you do seem a very hard man to please.

Of course it was a one sided game, after the red card Sheff Utd retreated to their 18 yard box and kicked the ball back to us at every opportunity.

For our back four and midfield two it was an armchair ride after their red card. Yet three of them contrived to hand Sheff Utd a penalty.

We hardly created a decent chance from open play until late on when they pushed up. If anything the difference in the game was the two keepers, ours made a brilliant save from the penalty, Ramsdale was piss poor getting down for Konsas goal I thought.

Online Clampy

« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2020, 09:41:51 AM »
Well, it was shocking that we gave away three points on the opening day. Let's hope we turn it round on Monday.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2020, 10:07:44 AM »
Personally I like the fact that despite the win, most people weren't overly happy with the performance and can see that we didn't play that well.  It means we're not settling for making up the numbers and actually want to do something this season.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #235 on: September 22, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »
We’ve spent getting on for £200 million in the past year or so and we still have Neil Taylor on the bench. Criminal.
Whilst I see your point it's difficult to blame Taylor for that performance.

Online Clampy

« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »
Personally I like the fact that despite the win, most people weren't overly happy with the performance and can see that we didn't play that well.  It means we're not settling for making up the numbers and actually want to do something this season.

I'm not sure what else were were meant to do against a team that just sat back and defended once they went down to 10 men. We had 72% of the possession and yes, we could have done better with it at times but it wasn't a dreadful performance by any means.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #237 on: September 22, 2020, 10:35:07 AM »

I'm not sure what else were were meant to do against a team that just sat back and defended once they went down to 10 men. We had 72% of the possession and yes, we could have done better with it at times but it wasn't a dreadful performance by any means.

I think that Risso is right in that we want to be looking for better performances as the season progresses, but I agree that it was a bad display at all in the circumstances.

People point at how we were playing against ten men for eighty minutes, but tend to overlook the fact that it changed how Sheffield United approaches the game and that they also defended really well in my opinion.

There will be plenty of performances, from us and other teams, that aren’t great but teams manage to dig out a result at this stage in the season - Arsenal vs West Ham and Chelsea vs Brighton for example.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #238 on: September 22, 2020, 10:36:54 AM »

P
There’s clearly a lot of room for improvement but I’d put that down to a lack of match fitness and the type of sharpness that only comes through playing games. We had been the better side prior to the sending off but once they made the change and started defending deep it became increasingly difficult to find space and they seemed to be well suited to that backs to the wall type performance.

Online The Edge

« Reply #239 on: September 22, 2020, 10:44:53 AM »

While I'm very happy that we got off to a winning start there's cause for concern in my view. How many hopeful crosses were lumped into their box? Surely we knew that was playing to their strengths. Ok we scored from one such cross but we shouldn't let that gloss over the fact that we need a whole lot more creativity and variety to our game if we're going to be anywhere near successful. That's my only gripe really. I'm sure the staff are aware of it and will be in the process of resolving it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal