collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:21:16 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread  (Read 20957 times)

Offline TelfordVilla

Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 22, 2020, 07:56:13 AM »
Having looked at Wilder's 9 minute post match whinge I've lost a bit of respect for the man.  He sees Egans "tussle" with Oli as 50/50.  Yes Oli has hands on but only because Egan is clearly pulling him back - what else is he supposed to do.  Was it certain Oli would have got to the ball before the keeper - not sure but as soon as pulls him back the answers no so its a foul. 

They've lost 6 league games on the bounce. 7 games in all competitions. He's feeling pressure for the first time.
this

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2020, 07:57:07 AM »
Having looked at Wilder's 9 minute post match whinge I've lost a bit of respect for the man.  He sees Egans "tussle" with Oli as 50/50.  Yes Oli has hands on but only because Egan is clearly pulling him back - what else is he supposed to do.  Was it certain Oli would have got to the ball before the keeper - not sure but as soon as pulls him back the answers no so its a foul.

A foot race between Watkins and Egan. Hmm, who to put my money on...

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #212 on: September 22, 2020, 07:57:13 AM »
For me it was the lack of tackling through the midfield when United did come out ! ,  I would look at putting marvellous in there in some formation . I know his distribution is suspect at times but he can put his foot in .  Like to see 2 up top as well  .  It tends to stick with Davis .

Could we try a diamond?

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2020, 08:08:51 AM »
We did win didn’t we??

I thought considering we didn’t have anything like a traditional pre-season & we were playing against a side that had already had a full on PL game we did just fine.

Red card changed the game, we had 15 mins or so where we needed to capitalise before they hooked McGoldrick for Ampadu & settled back into two banks of four.  Thought Sheff U did brilliantly then to keep our midfielders like Luiz / Hourihane far enough from goal that we couldn’t get a shot away.

Martinez penalty save aside also dealt with corners very nicely, sure we are going to have plenty of ‘ahhhh’ moments when they try and pass around or as I still call it ‘fanny around’ at the back :/)

Cash looked good, Konsa and Mings solid, Targett’s lack of pace exposed again, McGinn More influential late in game after Hourihane went off which is good fitness wise, Luiz heart of everything, Hourihane generally quiet, Trez ran around but contributed little, Jack tried hard but little came off for him & Watkins willing runner - Keinan made an impact again

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #214 on: September 22, 2020, 08:23:39 AM »
We seem to either play well and lose or play badly and win. Obviously prefer the latter.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2020, 08:32:18 AM »
For me it was the lack of tackling through the midfield when United did come out ! ,  I would look at putting marvellous in there in some formation . I know his distribution is suspect at times but he can put his foot in .  Like to see 2 up top as well  .  It tends to stick with Davis .

Could we try a diamond?

Bloody love a diamond midfield but you need two really really good fullbacks for that, and I feel like we have maximum 1.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:36:23 AM by Monty »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2020, 08:35:42 AM »
I think we'll see Davis starting through the middle with Watkins and Traore either side before long. And it will be a good thing, and we shall prosper.

Online The Edge

« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2020, 08:37:11 AM »
We've not conceded a goal in the  last 270 minutes of football. It's a bloody miracle!
How did you arrive at that? We conceded against Burton and West Ham. Unless you are only counting home games?
Because I forgot the Burton goal. But 1 goal in 270 minutes is still a minor miracle after last season.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2020, 08:39:25 AM »
Very odd game.

Thought Cash did well, Grealish had one of those nights where things are a couple of % off, the little passes just behind the man, the shots just wide etc. Match sharpness and that will come. Watkins looked a handful all night and they didn't like how he wanted to run in behind at all, so he is going to be a real asset.

Trez was awful for me, far too often it broke down with him, while McGinn was as bad as I ever remember him. He needs rhythm I think, so I would start him on Thursday to get more games into his legs.

The biggest frustration for me though was us not putting a foot in in midfield. We were crying out for Nakamba on about 60 minutes to start picking up the pieces in midfield, we kept standing off too much.

Good result, Wilder is starting to become a bit of a stuck record with his "straight talking" - whinging as I know it!

Could more signings and we will be ok.

Online Clampy

« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2020, 08:47:37 AM »
Dreadful performance but got the win. Martinez made a great save from the penalty and looked very assured in air and with his feet. Very very little to get enthused about that aside. So much to complain about but our inability in last 15 minutes to find a colleague with a throw in really took the piss. Davis was standing about 10 yards from Cash each time but he couldn't seem to find him!

Some age old problems. Is there another team where three of the back four are at fault for a penalty? Smith using only one sub, somehow Hourihane first man off leaving McGinn and Trez to stink out the 90 mins plus. Targett remains a glaring liability on the left but wasn't helped by our captain deciding to play where he wanted in the second half leaving the left flank free. Even the pitch seemed a bit dry? Ball certainly didn't zip around.

Martinez 7, Cash 6, Konsa 6, Mings 6, Targett 3, Luiz 6, Hourihane 6, Trez 2, McGinn 4, Grealish 6, Watkins 5. Davis 7.

Dreadful performance? I know it's all about opinions but that is just nonsense. It was a mostly one sided game and they actually defended very well. Judging by your posts though, you do seem a very hard man to please.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2020, 08:49:52 AM »
One thing I’ve noticed is that Jack really trusts Davis. When he came on, Jack immediately started playing passes to him in tight situations, knowing Keinan would hold the ball, or lay it off. He didn’t play balls like that to anyone before Davis came on.
Except to Watkins, which he did first and second half.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #221 on: September 22, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
I think we'll see Davis starting through the middle with Watkins and Traore either side before long. And it will be a good thing, and we shall prosper.
I like that despite my reservations about young Davis at the moment. Of course when Wesley returns it would be better.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #222 on: September 22, 2020, 08:52:10 AM »
Thought about the game in the cold light of this morning, and I think it was very similar to the last 4 or 5 games of last season. In terms of the result largely being based on defensive solidity. Difference I suppose is expectation, whereas post lockdown we looked like relegation certs so it was more of a pleasant surprise that we’d learnt how to defend. Whereas pre season with new signings there is the hope of free flowing attacking football.
On the whole I like the look of the defense, even Targett, despite reservations. Cash looks good, Smith obviously doesn’t fancy Guilbert for whatever reason. Martinez fantastic debut.
I think we do need to have a bit more creativity up the field and hopefully Traore will help with this. Watkins has a tough night but looks to me like he knows how to run the line, something Wesley was only starting to slowly pick up by Xmas.
I’ve said on another thread pre season I think we need another centre midfielder. Not because I suddenly think McGinn is championship, as I just don’t buy that at all, just out of form after a really bad injury, I also really like connors character and commitment. But we need the option of not playing one of them.
Despite a dogged performance, heavily influenced by the oppositions tactics after the sending off, I’m optimistic.

I get what your saying but it shouldn’t be difficult to be defensively solid against a team down to 10 men playing for a 0-0 with no attacking intentions whatsoever until later on in the game

I reckon I could have defended against that
honestly think we are getting a bit carried away thinking we have sorted our defensive frailties out

bigger tests ahead and i hope I’m totally wrong but I’m not convinced yet
Sorry to be a bed wetter

Not bed wetting at all. Watched some of the Man City wolves game after and different level of attacking intent from both sides to be fair. We’ve got Liverpool in 2 weeks, so we’ll see how the defense is shaping up.
I guess given where we finished last season, we’ll be one of Fulham’s target games for a result, so may be tough game. If we can progress in the cup and put Fulham away, it will be a very decent start to the season.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #223 on: September 22, 2020, 08:53:10 AM »
We seem to either play well and lose or play badly and win. Obviously prefer the latter.
We'll have less of that playing well nonsense this season.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #224 on: September 22, 2020, 08:55:38 AM »
I agree with Dave Shelley.
I also agree with Dave as he knows what he is talking about.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal