collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread  (Read 20964 times)

Offline WilliamStanding

Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread
« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2020, 11:43:01 PM »
I just don't get why Targett is preferred over Guilbert.

One is a left back, the other right.

I’m no Cloughy I may add.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2020, 11:48:00 PM »
Davis and Watkins partnership could work well, Watkins speed bought about the sending off but it was always going to be difficult for him once they went narrow and packed the centre of the pitch, Davis is the best hold up player we've got.
Thought Jack had a poor decision day, quick passing was needed but he held on to it for too long, SJM i suspect has found the pace of the premiership too hot for him, goalkeeper look immense but loke most posters worry about Targett and lack of pace wide out.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2020, 11:52:05 PM »

One is a left back, the other right.

I’m no Cloughy I may add.

My bad.

Online FatSam

« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2020, 11:52:41 PM »
The main thing is to start with a win. The Everton game aside, the start of last season was a real blow to the confidence, as we kept surrendering leads. It took us 7 games to get to 5 points, whereas we can exceed that if we beat Fulham in our next game. Regardless of the circumstances of today’s game, at least we seem to be getting better at manufacturing results.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2020, 11:58:35 PM »
Fucking hell Wilder is a whinging ******. I have lost all respect for him. Apparently Egan  was no way red and Targett should have been sent off.

Hate to say it but he's got a point about Targett and that double jeopardy sending off rule. Hard to make a case that he was making a genuine challenge for the ball when the ball was nowhere near him

Targett stayed on as it was in the box although I do recall Chester getting sent off in that mad 3-3 with Preston (cabbage game) and he got sent off after conceding a penalty but you rarely get a red card now for last minute fouls in the box.

Thought the Egan one was interesting. I thought it was similar to the Chelsea CB red when he pulled back Mane even though the ball had run through to Kepa, most agreed it was a red. Yes Watkins was a bit more away from the ball but he was being tugged back a fair bit. Defenders get away with that a fair bit on strikers so Egan rode his luck too much.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 12:00:20 AM by SoccerHQ »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #200 on: September 22, 2020, 12:01:54 AM »
I agree with Dave Shelley.

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2020, 12:05:24 AM »
They changed the rules a couple of seasons back to stop you being penalised twice with a pen and a red.

Looking at the tug on Watkins, on the highlights you can see him being pulled unnaturally to the side, away from the run of the ball as they are running. Ref in a good position to spot it.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2020, 02:00:47 AM »

He's not, though

Not positionally, but we've splashed out big for a replacement for Guilbert, when Targett in my opinion is a weaker player.

Isn't it a case of a good right back was available for the right price, to build for the future?  I agree, left back was absolutely a priority and I'm a fan of Freddy. But taking a view to build for the long term, you just have to pull the trigger when the right players become available.

That's not to say we aren't looking for a LB too, though we may not end up with a new one because of budget/ffp constraints. But we will eventually upgrade LB, and have a better squad over a few windows. It's a more sustainable approach to long term success, which we have the luxury of adpoting after years of scrambling and coming up with stop gap solutions.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2020, 02:57:52 AM »
It’s trite to say, but this time last season there’s no way we’re winning that. We should have scored more but we found a way to win. Konsa, Martinez and Luiz all excellent, the other new additions all did well too.

We all know we need more quality - the bench didn’t look too inspiring and creativity wise we’re overly reliant on Jack but there’s still time. So far it’s been an excellent window - we’ve done everything we had to do; striker, add pace, sort goalkeeper position & resolve Jack situation. Now we need to add the finishing touches - I suspect they’ll be the different between bottom five/six and mid table.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2020, 06:56:26 AM »
Having looked at Wilder's 9 minute post match whinge I've lost a bit of respect for the man.  He sees Egans "tussle" with Oli as 50/50.  Yes Oli has hands on but only because Egan is clearly pulling him back - what else is he supposed to do.  Was it certain Oli would have got to the ball before the keeper - not sure but as soon as pulls him back the answers no so its a foul. 

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2020, 07:14:03 AM »
Thought about the game in the cold light of this morning, and I think it was very similar to the last 4 or 5 games of last season. In terms of the result largely being based on defensive solidity. Difference I suppose is expectation, whereas post lockdown we looked like relegation certs so it was more of a pleasant surprise that we’d learnt how to defend. Whereas pre season with new signings there is the hope of free flowing attacking football.
On the whole I like the look of the defense, even Targett, despite reservations. Cash looks good, Smith obviously doesn’t fancy Guilbert for whatever reason. Martinez fantastic debut.
I think we do need to have a bit more creativity up the field and hopefully Traore will help with this. Watkins has a tough night but looks to me like he knows how to run the line, something Wesley was only starting to slowly pick up by Xmas.
I’ve said on another thread pre season I think we need another centre midfielder. Not because I suddenly think McGinn is championship, as I just don’t buy that at all, just out of form after a really bad injury, I also really like connors character and commitment. But we need the option of not playing one of them.
Despite a dogged performance, heavily influenced by the oppositions tactics after the sending off, I’m optimistic.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2020, 07:14:36 AM »
I thought it was a good result. Our midfield looked rusty, whilst i still worry that a Sheffield United attack cut us open quite so easily for the penalty. Konsa was out of position and the cover just didn't stop the attack, which came from our corner.

Also thought the timing of the switch between Davis and Conor helped create our goal. For the first [only?] time in the match the Sheff United players didnt pick up properly allowing the Konsa at the back post to take advantage. The extra man in the box caused the problems and the overload, Grealish or Hourine usually holds the 18 yard line at corners whilst Davis was in and around the penalty spot.

A game we probably wouldn't have seen out last year, with a well timed tactical switch. I hope it bodes well for the season...       

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2020, 07:17:51 AM »
Having looked at Wilder's 9 minute post match whinge I've lost a bit of respect for the man.  He sees Egans "tussle" with Oli as 50/50.  Yes Oli has hands on but only because Egan is clearly pulling him back - what else is he supposed to do.  Was it certain Oli would have got to the ball before the keeper - not sure but as soon as pulls him back the answers no so its a foul. 

They've lost 6 league games on the bounce. 7 games in all competitions. He's feeling pressure for the first time.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2020, 07:42:49 AM »
Poor game - glad of the win, but we need to improve greatly.

Cash was my MOTM

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #209 on: September 22, 2020, 07:49:05 AM »
Thought about the game in the cold light of this morning, and I think it was very similar to the last 4 or 5 games of last season. In terms of the result largely being based on defensive solidity. Difference I suppose is expectation, whereas post lockdown we looked like relegation certs so it was more of a pleasant surprise that we’d learnt how to defend. Whereas pre season with new signings there is the hope of free flowing attacking football.
On the whole I like the look of the defense, even Targett, despite reservations. Cash looks good, Smith obviously doesn’t fancy Guilbert for whatever reason. Martinez fantastic debut.
I think we do need to have a bit more creativity up the field and hopefully Traore will help with this. Watkins has a tough night but looks to me like he knows how to run the line, something Wesley was only starting to slowly pick up by Xmas.
I’ve said on another thread pre season I think we need another centre midfielder. Not because I suddenly think McGinn is championship, as I just don’t buy that at all, just out of form after a really bad injury, I also really like connors character and commitment. But we need the option of not playing one of them.
Despite a dogged performance, heavily influenced by the oppositions tactics after the sending off, I’m optimistic.

I get what your saying but it shouldn’t be difficult to be defensively solid against a team down to 10 men playing for a 0-0 with no attacking intentions whatsoever until later on in the game

I reckon I could have defended against that
honestly think we are getting a bit carried away thinking we have sorted our defensive frailties out

bigger tests ahead and i hope I’m totally wrong but I’m not convinced yet
Sorry to be a bed wetter

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal