collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by The Man With A Stick
[Today at 03:11:39 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 03:10:11 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Nev
[Today at 03:07:25 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 03:07:11 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 03:03:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 03:02:31 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Gareth
[Today at 03:02:20 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 03:02:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread  (Read 21249 times)

Offline RamboandBruno

Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2020, 08:58:17 PM »
Come on peeps, let's have some perspective.

Sheff Utd only conceded 39 goals last season the 4th best in the division. So scoring was always going to be tricky. After going down to 10 men they parked the bus and defended in depth.

We only got a point against them last year, so 3pts is a clear improvement.

The 3 debutants did well and we've Traore and possibly others to come in.

Onwards and upwards.

This for me.

Sheffield may or may not have 2nd season syndrome but they are no mugs and although we were too square and rigid, they were absolutely solid at the back.
We wouldn’t of won that last season and I think lots of us on here were crying out for pragmatic or even scrappy 1-0 wins.
The defence largely carried on where they left off at the end of last season, looking far more assured than before lockdown. Really liked the look of Cash. Freddie’s gone if he wasn’t in squad.
Midfield, Luiz class, McGinn off pace but don’t think he should be written off as championship quality only, he was one our better performers last year before ankle break. Hourihane was ok, grealish had one of his poorer games by his standards. Watkins was up against it and a bit isolated, but had good movement and unlucky with that curler in 2nd half. I think he’ll do well. I actually think smith did well bringing Davis on and we actually created far more chances and opened them up more. Major problem was no outlet on the right as Trez is Trez, vital goals last season, but squad player for me, hopefully Traore will be big improvement.

On the whole, scrappy, bit of a tough watch at times, but I’ll take that all day. First top ten side of last season beaten.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2020, 08:58:25 PM »
We need two quality signings at least before the window slams shut. Certainly another striker needed. But, it's very early days and 3 points against a very dogged team is fine with me.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2020, 08:59:53 PM »
One thing that gave me encouragement on Watkins. The technique for that beautiful curler that just missed the top corner with their goalie stranded. If we get him in the right positions he'll be good.

yeah I think he did well with what we created for him. The problem was that was mainly F. all

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2020, 09:00:10 PM »
It wasn't a classic, but we've got three points, and a few teams have played twice and lost both, and it's hard to bounce back from that.  Beat Fulham and it's a superb start to the season.

Online Baldy

« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »
We already have enough points to end the season above WBA and Fulham  :)

Well done lads, a great start.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2020, 09:02:10 PM »
Lots of positives to take from that. All three debutants look a certain upgrade to what we have. Very impressed with Martinez and Cash. Ollie done ok for his first game against one of the better defences last season, unlucky with his dipping curled effort.
Konsa and Mings were again very good together. Jack was good except he forgot his shooting boots. Trez as always worked hard, but little end product. Doug was solid and did the unspectacular easily. I thought we was extremely comfortable but lacked a bit of zip.

The only downside was we seemed a little rusty on the offensive and tried to walk it in too much, which was similar against Burton.

Pretty much agree with this summation.  Thought the acquisitions looked to be upgrades on their predecessors and thought we looked a more solid outfit overall.

Thought Konsa and Mings looked solid, thought McGinn did a lot better when he dropped a bit deeper alongside Luiz and Watkins looks like he has got something about him.

Targett, Hourihane and Trezeguet need to come out of that starting XI and replaced with better.  Targett's lack of awareness for their penalty was really poor. 

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2020, 09:03:59 PM »
The new players all gave a good account of themselves, although fair to say we need a couple more.  Trezeguet and Hourihane, if they don't score goals, offer very little to the game, leaving others to make up for their work.  Konsa is turning out to be aa very decent player.  Still need creativity alongside Jack and hope that we bring in Rashica, alongside Traore.  A win is a win, although it was a bit turgid.  I hope McGinn improves like many of the others have.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2020, 09:04:48 PM »
Had to be patient. Sheffield United are one of the best defensive sides in the league and the loss of a man removed near enough any adventure in their play.

They condensed the space when they'd reorganised and sat incredibly deep. It was always going to be hard.

We kept at it mind. Felt the full backs pushed on a lot better second half, but the transition wide to them was a little slow. Hard game for McGinn to get on top of when there was no space to drive it on.

Couple of players short, one out wide and one in midfield. Tricky to really read a great deal into the game, as the structure and manner of it will be quite unique.

Martinez looked assured. Great stop, came and collected/punch well. Comfortable on the ball.

Dougie is a class act and Grealish really started to get into it later on in the game.

I'd have probably gone 442 sooner, but all in all a mistake free, very comfortable win. Not a lot to moan at.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2020, 09:05:46 PM »
Three points clean sheet job done I'm happy.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2020, 09:05:52 PM »
Give me another fifteen poor wins and I'll get a round in.
steady on.

Don't get excited. He didn't say wins.  He said "Poor wins", which is very subjective. And no doubt Dave will say there's no such thing as a "Poor Win"

Offline steamer

« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2020, 09:06:03 PM »
Did what was needed, great to start with a win.
They are very disciplined and not easy to break down with 10 in the box.
Small things that impressed me, GK taking the ball down and hanging onto it on the floor to kill a few seconds.
taking the ball to the corner for same effect.
Little things that pissed me off, still fucking about at the back creating unneccesary pressure, no making subs to kill of some time at the end.
We are still short of pace, maybe a midfield enforcer and someone else upfront.
But lets see still time, clearer picture in a months time.
Again, great to start with a win.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2020, 09:06:31 PM »
Thought we looked good in possession but failed to find the final ball with any regularity.

Having said that, last season we started by playing well and getting nothing, so I think i prefer it this way around.

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2020, 09:13:26 PM »
Solid professional win against a niggly side. We would have lost that last year.

This for me. Plenty to work on, but happy with that for now.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2020, 09:18:15 PM »
Fucking hell Wilder is a whinging ******. I have lost all respect for him. Apparently Egan  was no way red and Targett should have been sent off.

Offline Jaffa

« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »
My two-Penneth FWIW..

3 points is 3 points, 37 to go.

I just want to see some pace, urgency when attacking, our football always seems so lethargic & very predictable for other Teams, which is why we are always hanging on so much at the end of games.

In my eyes we still need another :-
Winger
Striker
No. 8

SJM needs some competition, Cantwell/ Dele Alli (with the right attitude) - loans

Onwards & Upwards

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal