collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League season 21/22. What the media are saying on Villa  (Read 29110 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Premier League 20/21 What the pundits are saying on Villa
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2021, 03:10:51 PM »
Just listened to today’s Guardian Football Weekly. A bigger bunch of condescending ****** you will not hear especially some no name Arsenal fan called Jordan. Dean Smith is only doing an ok job. One of the questions asked of him was along the lines of if your house was on fire and inside was Dean Smith and a stick of butter what would you save. That while we have some good players basically Villa are lucky to be in the PL and should have gone down but for a scandalous decision (assume Sheff Utd). But it was more the stuff about Dean Smith that made my blood boil. And this wanker Jordan made out that Villa fans are needy because he’s being challenged on his hate of Villa.

That prick has had it in for him from the off, when we beat them the others on there were ripping him about it. It's 100% percieved bias against Brummies, and the idea that we could be intelligent enough to compete with others.

The Sheffield United bugs me as well. Yes it was clearly the wrong decision, but from memory it was before half time. Who says that goal going in doesn’t trigger us to change approach in the second half. Also there were 9 fucking games left after that. It’s hardly like it was injury time of the final game of the season.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2021, 03:23:26 PM »
Just listened to today’s Guardian Football Weekly. A bigger bunch of condescending ****** you will not hear especially some no name Arsenal fan called Jordan. Dean Smith is only doing an ok job. One of the questions asked of him was along the lines of if your house was on fire and inside was Dean Smith and a stick of butter what would you save. That while we have some good players basically Villa are lucky to be in the PL and should have gone down but for a scandalous decision (assume Sheff Utd). But it was more the stuff about Dean Smith that made my blood boil. And this wanker Jordan made out that Villa fans are needy because he’s being challenged on his hate of Villa.

That prick has had it in for him from the off, when we beat them the others on there were ripping him about it. It's 100% percieved bias against Brummies, and the idea that we could be intelligent enough to compete with others.

The Sheffield United bugs me as well. Yes it was clearly the wrong decision, but from memory it was before half time. Who says that goal going in doesn’t trigger us to change approach in the second half. Also there were 9 fucking games left after that. It’s hardly like it was injury time of the final game of the season.

No. It was at the end of the game in the 93rd minute and there would have no way for us to come back had it been given. Everybody knows that. In fact, that decision shaped the course of everything that happened subsequently. Not just for us in the season, but life and the cosmos itself. And for Sheff Utd it has had such an impact that they never mentally recovered and can’t even win anymore in the PL. It is all our fault. Everything is.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2021, 03:27:36 PM »

Totally agree, it's irrelevant, nobody can predict what would have happened in the rest of the game. None of these people recall the goal we had disallowed at Palace, which would have got us a point, as it was at the end.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2021, 03:50:21 PM »
Jose Murinho being complementary about us today. After stuffing Leeds he said how Villa are his favourite team to watch at the moment.

The fact we play them next probably doesn’t factor 😉

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2021, 05:55:16 PM »

To be fair I think both Max and Barry are generally fair about Villa. Jordan is the only one who is utterly unprofessional about it.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2021, 11:34:53 AM »
https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/4IRy0SoY2kC16Z5XzsS3zQ/Show/El-Ghazi-the-star-as-Aston-Villa-dominate-Premier-League-Team-of-the-Month

I'll put this here.

Great December by three villa players consistent and high performance in prem recognised in December team of the month.
El Ghazi in particular has been pretty spectacular

Martinez to me is best GK in the league

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2021, 03:17:58 PM »
https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/4IRy0SoY2kC16Z5XzsS3zQ/Show/El-Ghazi-the-star-as-Aston-Villa-dominate-Premier-League-Team-of-the-Month

I'll put this here.

Great December by three villa players consistent and high performance in prem recognised in December team of the month.
El Ghazi in particular has been pretty spectacular

Martinez to me is best GK in the league

Great to see those three get in when we all already know how well Cash, Targett, Konsa, Luiz, SJM, Jack & Watkins have done.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2021, 10:22:34 PM »
Telegraph:

Good business: The signings that have transformed Aston Villa from relegation fodder to European contenders
Emiliano Martinez, Bertrand Traore, Matty Cash, Ollie Watkins and Ross Barkley have all played a key role in Villa's revival this season

By Jon Culley
24 January 2021 • 10:30pm

As pressure mounted on Steve Bruce and Newcastle slid to another tame defeat on Saturday night, it was easy to forget that it is only a matter of six months or so ago that the vultures were circling around Villa Park as a run of 10 Premier League matches without a win left Dean Smith’s side four points from safety with just four fixtures remaining.

Villa survived by taking eight points from those four games to be transformed this season into candidates for the top six. How? Through many conspiring factors, Smith would argue. Yet clearly the business he did last September is a major one. 

Smith signed goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez from Arsenal, forward Bertrand Traore from Lyon, defender Matty Cash from Nottingham Forest and striker Ollie Watkins from Brentford, at a combined outlay of almost £80 million, to which he added Ross Barkley on a season-long loan from Chelsea. 

If Martinez was rarely engaged, the match was a showcase for the influence of the other four.

Watkins, scorer of the opening goal after a mistake by defender Fabian Schar, and Cash, both promoted from the Championship, gave Smith particular gratification. Bertrand, who scored an exquisite second after a nicely-crafted link with Jack Grealish, caught his eye too as he looked on from the stands, banished from the touchline after his angry exchange with referee Jon Moss in the contentious defeat at Manchester City.

"If you look at Ollie and Matt, the thing that stands out is their attitude,” he said. “They’ve come from the Championship and they want to play football and improve. That’s a joy for any coach.

“And Bertrand is making a really good contribution. He's settled in really quickly. I always knew he had quality but it's his work rate without the ball that's really impressed me.

“It's great to have Ross back. He wasn't happy coming off but he's done 65 minutes and now 75 minutes after eight weeks out. The quality we've got going forward is improving.”

The result ended a mini blip of three without a win for Villa either side of a Covid shutdown, lifting them to eighth, and with the signing of Marseille midfielder Morgan Sanson about to strengthen Smith’s hand further, fans are eyeing up European qualification.

Smith rejected an invitation to encourage them. “It was important we got the win today but as for the table we are just looking at the next game,” he said.

Offline Footy-Vill

Re: Premier League season 21/22. What the media are saying on Villa
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2021, 11:48:04 PM »
2021/22  Final Position Predictions

The I news paper writers combined Predict Villa finish 8th place.

Daily Mail :
Predict Villa to finish 9th
One to watch: Jaden Philogene-Bidace - Villa have made some exciting signings but the youngster has impressed when given his chances in pre-season and could get more opportunities in the first team."

Four Four Two:
Verdict: 10th
Villa’s recruitment makes the Grealish sale less of an issue. Could be an outside bet for Europe.

BBC Phil McNulty
Aston Villa to finish  8th
"Interesting times at Villa Park with the £100m departure of club talisman Grealish, but the club worked in smart fashion to ensure squad strengthening before signing off on the Manchester City deal.
I think Villa could be an intriguing prospect this season and, if he can stay fit, England striker Danny Ings, brought in to join Ollie Watkins in attack, could be a masterstroke signing.
Leon Bailey will add pace and threat out wide while Emiliano Buendia, signed from Norwich City, brings creativity even though he must prove he is Premier League quality. The returning Ashley Young adds vast experience.
Last season saw an improvement under manager Dean Smith. I expect the same again this season. Outside bet for a cup maybe?"

Ashley Preece Birmingham  Live
Prediction: It's been 17th and then 11th for Smith in his first two seasons as a Premier League boss. He must kick on again with top-half the bare minimum here.

Europe's the aim so in and around those Europa League spots would be ace. Smith's got more than enough credit in the bank, however, the big question is can he do it as Villa's gaffer without a certain Mr Grealish to rely on? This season could well be his most-difficult to date. The floor's yours, Dean.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 11:59:16 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2021, 11:48:52 PM »
The I NewsPaper writers
From all the Premier League overall:

Signing of the season? Leon Bailey
Vithushan Ehantharajah (sports feature writer)

Signing of the season? Emi Buendia
Lawrence Ostlere (assistant sports editor)
His underlying statistics have been through the roof for a few seasons and now he has the perfect scenario to rack up Premier League assists, with an almost certain starting berth at Aston Villa after Jack Grealish’s departure and high-quality strikers to supply in Ollie Watkins and Danny Ings. Patson Daka could also shine at Leicester and help take the strain off Jamie Vardy in what will be a long season with the Europa League thrown in.

Biggest Flop.
Danny Ings
Mark Critchley (northern football correspondent):
It’s harder to say every year as clubs become savvier in the market. Danny Ings’ price felt high given his age and injury history but he’s still an excellent player.

Jack Rathborn (assistant sports editor): Danny Ings
Around £30m is a lot from Villa’s perspective when Ollie Watkins could conceivably kick on and hold down the No 9 role. Both could play, of course, but Dean Smith will surely want to bring out the best in Leon Bailey as the present and future and with other exciting wide options it might eventually be tricky to include Ings week in, week out, which would be disappointing for the price and his age at 29.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2021, 11:49:43 PM »
Four Four Two magazine:
Who's your one to watch?
Joe Brewin: Leon Bailey
Aston Villa have made some really exciting signings as they plan for life after Jack Grealish. I enjoyed watching them more than most sides last year (largely because of him, mind), but Emi Buendia, Danny Ings and Bailey look like they could be great fun. I'm not convinced we'll get much consistency from Bailey in his first season – but when things go well, he could be a joy to watch.

Who will be the flop of the season?
Ed McCambridge: Aston Villa
I have to say I'm impressed with the acquisitions of Emi Buendia, Danny Ings and Leon Bailey, but I have a feeling Villa are about to find out how important Grealish was to the whole system. Everything went through him and - savvy business though they've made - none of those three get close to Grealish for sheer ability or leadership. It's a tough break-up - and you just don't get over those very quickly.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 12:00:17 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2021, 11:53:12 PM »
In BT Sports 6 Predictions for the season 2021/22

Emiliano Buendia to make the PFA Team of the Year
With seven assists in a Norwich side that finished bottom of the league, Emi Buendia demonstrated enough in his one season in the top flight to convince Aston Villa to splash out £34.5million on his services after backing up those performances during the Canaries' Championship winning campaign last year.
Now talisman Jack Grealish has departed for Manchester City, most of the responsibility in replacing the club captain will fall on the summer signing.
It’s a considerable burden to bear but in Buendia, Villa possess a tenacious, creative attacking midfielder who probes opposition defences and creates opportunities for his team-mates.
Similarly to Grealish, Buendia thrives coming on from the wide attacking midfield birth and creating centrally....
With more options at Smith’s disposal - and even without Grealish - Villa fans will be hopeful of sustaining a challenge for the European places.

Buendia will be key to that push

Source https://www.bt.com/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-predictions

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 11:55:08 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2021, 12:00:51 AM »

To be fair I think both Max and Barry are generally fair about Villa. Jordan is the only one who is utterly unprofessional about it.

Strangely though Jordan has us to finish 6th along with Max this season. Really dislike the bloke but that surprised me.

Edit: Oh and he still says we are the worst fans in the country.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 12:05:32 AM by edgysatsuma89 »

Offline Footy-Vill

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2021, 12:46:20 AM »

Strangely though Jordan has us to finish 6th along with Max this season. Really dislike the bloke but that surprised me.

Edit: Oh and he still says we are the worst fans in the country.

Not sure why Jordan has it in for us but it’s become a comedy thing on the pod now so he plays up to it - the rest of the panel are very reasonable on the whole.

I do laugh at a self-proclaimed ‘Gunner’ complaining about other fans being deluded. Someone call the irony police, I need to make an arrest…

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal