collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Premier League season 21/22. What the media are saying on Villa  (Read 28863 times)

Offline WilliamStanding

Re: Premier League 20/21 What the pundits are saying on Villa
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2020, 07:47:51 AM »
He will go down a bottler with Lescott.

what did he actually bottle? He had an injury he couldn't recover from. Is that bottling? And we gave him a stupidly long and lucrative contract. Is that his fault too?

Take a trip down memory lane and have a butchers at the Micah thread.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:55:11 AM by WilliamStanding »

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2020, 08:53:35 AM »
He comes across well, I just find he's a bit over-exposed by his regular presence both on BBC and Sky.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2020, 08:58:23 AM »
He will go down a bottler with Lescott.

what did he actually bottle? He had an injury he couldn't recover from. Is that bottling? And we gave him a stupidly long and lucrative contract. Is that his fault too?

Take a trip down memory lane and have a butchers at the Micah thread.
I’d rather not. I was uncomfortable with the poisonous hatred he got from some at the time , and still am.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2020, 10:09:11 AM »
I think a lot of it stems from that episode where he had a go back at the fans who were rightly having a pop at Guzan for pissing about spitting gum.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2020, 10:19:49 AM »
I think a lot of it stems from that episode where he had a go back at the fans who were rightly having a pop at Guzan for pissing about spitting gum.
We can file that away with the rest of the ten years of purgatory since microphone head threw his toys out of the pram. We are finally in a far far better place as a club. Onwards and upwards. UTV.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2020, 10:29:16 AM »
On the one hand he was given a contract and sat it out bleeding the club dry but you couldn’t blame him.  On the other hand he and his fellow so called professionals showed a total disregard for the club for their lack of professionalism towards Garde in particular.  The nadir being the FA cup game at Wycombe referred to above. 

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2020, 10:43:47 AM »
He comes across well, I just find he's a bit over-exposed by his regular presence both on BBC and Sky.

Yeah agree on both counts

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2020, 10:50:09 AM »
I generally don't listen to pundits, I don't watch MOTD, Sky build-up or after game chat. Just the game with the commentators is enough - and if I don't like those on air I tend to find a different channel to watch the game on until I find ones I like.
The DAZN and NBCSN ones are usually better than Sky BT.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2020, 12:00:29 PM »
On the one hand he was given a contract and sat it out bleeding the club dry but you couldn’t blame him.  On the other hand he and his fellow so called professionals showed a total disregard for the club for their lack of professionalism towards Garde in particular.  The nadir being the FA cup game at Wycombe referred to above.

MON's flounce out (and I was a big MON fan), Houlliers delayed arrival, Houlliers leaving, TSM 1 coming and going in the blink of an eye, Lambert coming and staying too long for my liking, Sherwood going from hero to zero very quickly, Garde and Di Matteo not staying long enough to have their passports stamped, all the comings and goings behind the scenes. The Wycombe game somehow managed to sum up Aston Villa 2010 - 2016. I think the longer time goes on the more I respect Bruce's part in stopping the slide and turning us around. We were an absolute basket case of a club for a while.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2020, 12:04:02 PM »
I agree on Bruce I understand the football wasn’t always great but he certainly made us a club to be taken seriously again.  Never quite understand the level of vitriol towards him.  The timing of his sacking was correct though.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2020, 02:27:29 PM »
I agree on Bruce I understand the football wasn’t always great but he certainly made us a club to be taken seriously again.  Never quite understand the level of vitriol towards him.  The timing of his sacking was correct though.

I didn't hate Bruce. I just didn't think he was very good and in the end he was talking utter bollocks. But it's not personal. He went through immense personal challenges towards the end. He did stabilize the club, but if we stuck by him we may still be playing Bristol City or Cardiff this season and sitting in the top 6 of the Championship vs the PL.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »

I didn't hate Bruce. I just didn't think he was very good and in the end he was talking utter bollocks. But it's not personal. He went through immense personal challenges towards the end. He did stabilize the club, but if we stuck by him we may still be playing Bristol City or Cardiff this season and sitting in the top 6 of the Championship vs the PL.

Agree, ideally if Bruce had left after the play-off final, he would have been given far more respect.
     As I said “ideally” financial circumstances dictated otherwise

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2020, 12:42:32 PM »
Cheers VillzSkillz. Nice to see Maniche has got new employment after being stuck on the graveyard slot of the Beeb's football league coverage - in studio presenting from a Juliet balcony while Steve 'Romeo' Claridge sat below offering his punditry expertise.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2020, 01:14:20 PM »
Alan Curbishley and Andy Townsend post match analysis

What went wrong for Alan Curbishley? He went from the shortlist for the England job to obscurity pretty quickly.
I wonder if he has learnt how to pronounce 'Birmingham' yet.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2020, 02:30:38 AM »
I can't help but like Sherwood. Always positive about us. I liked his attitude as manager.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal