collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we got our club back now?  (Read 3631 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: Have we got our club back now?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 11:13:51 AM »
I would say we were rudderless to an extent from the day Randy gave up on us until our current owners took over. We actually got off lightly in the end regarding the Dr Tony reign. It could have set us back years or even finished us.

I'm loathe to curse it, but we may have decent owners for the first time since forever. Going back you've got Mr Shitty Shoes, Randy who just gave up, had money but couldn't tie his own shoelaces, Corner Shop Doug, the dodgy Bendalls, Doug again although slightly better on and then you're into revolutions and Town Halls, because the club had been run into the ground for decades.
lot of history squeezed into a well-written paragraph. I do think things are on the up again. Last season, not too many of us would have been surprised if we’d gone down. But it feels like, to me anyway, that a corner had been turned now. Just interested to see what everyone else thinks

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 11:16:29 AM »
It'll never be 'our' club again; it will always be run according to the whims and ideas of unaccountable, rich men. The best we can hope is that their ideas coincidence with ours.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 11:26:05 AM »
I would say we were rudderless to an extent from the day Randy gave up on us until our current owners took over. We actually got off lightly in the end regarding the Dr Tony reign. It could have set us back years or even finished us.

I'm loathe to curse it, but we may have decent owners for the first time since forever. Going back you've got Mr Shitty Shoes, Randy who just gave up, had money but couldn't tie his own shoelaces, Corner Shop Doug, the dodgy Bendalls, Doug again although slightly better on and then you're into revolutions and Town Halls, because the club had been run into the ground for decades.

'Mr Shitty Shoes' made me laugh  ;D It is a shame Roger Hargreaves adult versions of the Mr Men books didn't catch on  ;)

Offline Damo70

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »
It'll never be 'our' club again; it will always be run according to the whims and ideas of unaccountable, rich men. The best we can hope is that their ideas coincidence with ours.

For me it felt like 'our club' when Dean Smith and Jack Grealish were holding up the play off trophy.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 11:32:04 AM »
I think it’s part of my natural Brummie / Villa fan inbuilt pessimism that I feel that due to us having several weeks of consistent good news (exciting signings, great pre season results, Jack’s new contract), something bad must surely be around the corner!

My other half is a pessimist (understandably since she's wound up with me) and it does my head in. You're no better off if, when the shit hits the fan, you thought it might in advance.

I’m working on it. I actually think we’re going to win 3-1 tonight!

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2020, 11:46:47 AM »
Villa's potential has always been huge but we've only seen glimpses of it due to a succession of owners who were incompetent (Normansell, Lerner) dodgy (Tone, Bendall), or overly parsimonious egotistical control freaks (Ellis).    We now seem to be in the hands of proper, competent businessman and executives who have a plan and know how to execute it.  It does feel like there's a massive opportunity for that potential to be realised on a long term basis.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 11:55:29 AM »
I think it’s part of my natural Brummie / Villa fan inbuilt pessimism that I feel that due to us having several weeks of consistent good news (exciting signings, great pre season results, Jack’s new contract), something bad must surely be around the corner!

My other half is a pessimist (understandably since she's wound up with me) and it does my head in. You're no better off if, when the shit hits the fan, you thought it might in advance.

I’m working on it. I actually think we’re going to win 3-1 tonight!

I think it's the thing that leads to 99% of the arguments on here. Just different, irreconcilable, ways of looking at the world.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 12:00:56 PM »
OK, so the last ten years didn’t happen and people weren’t singing We want our Villa back?

I wasn’t tying to be confrontational. I genuinely never understood it when people would say that. The club like any close relationship is ours unless we wish to end it. No owner or ownership group or manager or player(s) will ever change or deny us that. These owners (and of course this manager and this team captain) appear to get it and understand what we want and that feels great. But no different to how I imagine Wolves fans feel about  their owners or Leeds fans do about their current situation. But in truth the club never left us.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 12:03:58 PM »
OK, so the last ten years didn’t happen and people weren’t singing We want our Villa back?

I wasn’t tying to be confrontational. I genuinely never understood it when people would say that. The club like any close relationship is ours unless we wish to end it. No owner or ownership group or manager or player(s) will ever change or deny us that. These owners (and of course this manager and this team captain) appear to get it and understand what we want and that feels great. But no different to how I imagine Wolves fans feel about  their owners or Leeds fans do about their current situation. But in truth the club never left us.

I think when we were almost going out of business after a steady decline in quality and competence, you could well argue that the Villa we all know and love was ebbing away.

Now it feels like there's a plan to get us back to where we were at the top table in football.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 12:40:51 PM »
Some of the owners had nicknames. 

Benders, Ellers, Stony Broke, Slow Lerner, Nas, Eddie.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 12:46:37 PM »
All this stuff about "our club" seems to equate to whether we're relatively successful or not. If it truly was "our club",  owned and run by fan representatives, we wouldn't have a hope in hell of competing in the Prem.

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2020, 08:38:54 PM »
There's always a struggle between optimism and pessimism. How many times have any of us thought "all is lost" following a bad run, only to become wildly optimistic "we could be in Europe" when we win a game or two unexpectedly. It's part of the human condition. I'm generally optimistic and so, like last season I'm thinking "top half, top half" in a sort of nervous way.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2020, 08:55:31 PM »
a struggle between optimism and pessimism
That should be the motto on H&V's badge / crest.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:12:03 PM by hilts_coolerking »

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2020, 09:02:56 PM »

Maybe you were. Like TV said, it was always here.

Easy to forget how completely toxic the relationship between fans and the players/club became during the season when we finally fell out of the league. Fans cheering Arsenal goals in our last game summed up the massive chasm between us and the club at the time.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 09:06:22 PM by Chico Hamilton III »

Offline TonyD

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2020, 09:08:03 PM »

For me it felt like 'our club' when Dean Smith and Jack Grealish were holding up the play off trophy.
And a crop of local young players coming through the ranks.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal