collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2020/21 by Drummond
[Today at 08:15:27 PM]

Welcome to our new moderator by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:10:49 PM]

Henri Lansbury - SIGNED by Fingers
[Today at 07:54:19 PM]

January Transfer Window by Risso
[Today at 07:51:31 PM]

Games Moved for TV by andyh
[Today at 07:21:37 PM]

Aston Villa vs Southampton pre match thread - Sunday Nov 1 - 12pm by Newby
[Today at 05:33:36 PM]

Don't pay for PPV by Newby
[Today at 05:32:35 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by ez
[Today at 05:25:34 PM]

October 28, 2020, 02:06:34 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 562 | Comments: 7

[url=https://ibb.c...
October 25, 2020, 05:38:44 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 632 | Comments: 3

Since they bought the club jus...
October 20, 2020, 12:29:57 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1164 | Comments: 16

[url=https://ibb.co/Wxcn...
October 14, 2020, 03:30:23 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 592 | Comments: 3

In December 1950 the directors...
October 05, 2020, 12:24:02 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1445 | Comments: 7

[url=https://ibb.c...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bertrand Traore - Signed  (Read 25919 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Bertrand Traore - Signed
« Reply #360 on: September 20, 2020, 12:00:51 PM »
Probably. I just hope we're not overloading the wage bill, we've been there before so many times. We over-spend on a player, he turns out shit and we're stuck with him for the duration of his contract.

Online SheffieldVillain

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #361 on: September 20, 2020, 12:07:01 PM »
Probably. I just hope we're not overloading the wage bill, we've been there before so many times. We over-spend on a player, he turns out shit and we're stuck with him for the duration of his contract.

Yep.

The key is getting rid of those who aren't contributing to balance out the 'new' wages - the kind of players you're talking about who are just a drain on the wage budget.

From last year's budget:
Drinkwater's £60k - paid for Jack's wage increase.
Reina / Hogan's wages - probably equates to Watkins's wages
Bomb Lansbury, Jota, Nyland and Kalinic out to some poor unsuspecting fool and you're probably talking the sharp end of £150k per week off the wage bill without losing anyone who is going to be missed. That's probably Martinez, Cash and Traore's wages accounted for right there.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2021
« Reply #362 on: September 20, 2020, 12:20:06 PM »
Ormondroyd certainly wasn't the worst player I ever saw down the Villa playing for us.  I liked him, a lot of skill for a big man.
i liked ‘Sticks’ and thought as the cliche goes, he had a good touch for a big man. He did look comically awkward until You got used to seeing him, seemed at times to be playing in slow motion, like when you see giraffes running in nature programmes. I did wonder whether Taylor signing Peter Crouch was due to him having previously signed Ormondroyd. Always remember that bonfire night classic against Everton at VP. Think he got a couple in the 5-2 win.

6-2 I think. Ormondroyd was decent for a while on the left wing and then faded once GT left
6-2 you’re right - I realised the error when I saw the post go up, but couldn’t be arsed to change it. Did used to feel a bit sorry for him when even Villa supporters would be laughing at him! Cruel game
It was Ian Olney that got a couple in that game, not Ormondroyd. I think he got a couple of assists though.
Ahhh. Good old Olney the lonely.
Dum dum dum dubuyuwah

Sorry CL you've definitely left a doo out of  dubuyuwah.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #363 on: September 20, 2020, 12:25:57 PM »
Ormondroyd certainly wasn't the worst player I ever saw down the Villa playing for us.  I liked him, a lot of skill for a big man.
i liked ‘Sticks’ and thought as the cliche goes, he had a good touch for a big man. He did look comically awkward until You got used to seeing him, seemed at times to be playing in slow motion, like when you see giraffes running in nature programmes. I did wonder whether Taylor signing Peter Crouch was due to him having previously signed Ormondroyd. Always remember that bonfire night classic against Everton at VP. Think he got a couple in the 5-2 win.

6-2 I think. Ormondroyd was decent for a while on the left wing and then faded once GT left
6-2 you’re right - I realised the error when I saw the post go up, but couldn’t be arsed to change it. Did used to feel a bit sorry for him when even Villa supporters would be laughing at him! Cruel game

I bought every newspaper from the newsagent’s the following morning. One memorably said Ormondroyd played like “a modern day Puskás”.

I saw him getting into a mini metro in Brighouse a few years later. It was like watching someone work out how to get their flat pack kitchen back from ikea.

Pretty sure one of the characters in the film Brassed Off is named Ormondroyd after him.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #364 on: September 20, 2020, 12:38:02 PM »
Please stop long quoting.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #365 on: September 20, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »
Point of order - Withe was bought to replace Geddis.

Technically correct but I always kind of saw Geddis, like Terry Donovan,  as a bit of a stopgap - very useful backup during the championship campaign though.

As for the above, when you look at the rough diamonds he sourced, perhaps we should have made Sir Graham our chief scout.  You could probably add Crouchy to that list, not so great for us but a very successful England,  PL and CL player ultimately. 

Anyone with any sense could see that Crouch was going to be a good player, but he was around at one of those times when any player signed by the manager had to be wrong, because everything the manager did was wrong, because everything at the club was wrong. 

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #366 on: September 20, 2020, 12:44:18 PM »
Agree Crouch could and should have been a very good player for us.
O’Leary wasn’t it who binned him?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #367 on: September 20, 2020, 12:48:18 PM »
Point of order - Withe was bought to replace Geddis.

Technically correct but I always kind of saw Geddis, like Terry Donovan,  as a bit of a stopgap - very useful backup during the championship campaign though.

As for the above, when you look at the rough diamonds he sourced, perhaps we should have made Sir Graham our chief scout.  You could probably add Crouchy to that list, not so great for us but a very successful England,  PL and CL player ultimately. 

Anyone with any sense could see that Crouch was going to be a good player, but he was around at one of those times when any player signed by the manager had to be wrong, because everything the manager did was wrong, because everything at the club was wrong. 

That's true, Newcastle at at the very same point right now.

He was also unfortunate in that his return from Norwich, with his confidence restored, coincided with JPA's best form for us. I don't think he'd have been at the front of players to get shot of, but O'Leary had pennies to work with and an offer on the table for a player who wasn't first choice. Typically though, JPA wasn't anywhere near as good again, and Crouch's career then takes off at Southampton and 12 months down the line he's off to Liverpool for 4 times what they paid us.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #368 on: September 20, 2020, 12:58:31 PM »
All in all it was a horrible time, and I don't think Sir Graham would have gone anywhere near the job if he'd known half of what was going on. There were splits all over the place, half a dozen players virtually on strike, revolting supporters and as history shows, we never take kindly to anyone who replaces a populist figure - which John Gregory certainly was. Crouch was poster boy for the new manager and as such never really had a chance. 

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 13.09.2021
« Reply #369 on: September 20, 2020, 01:14:50 PM »

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #370 on: September 20, 2020, 01:25:50 PM »
All in all it was a horrible time, and I don't think Sir Graham would have gone anywhere near the job if he'd known half of what was going on. There were splits all over the place, half a dozen players virtually on strike, revolting supporters and as history shows, we never take kindly to anyone who replaces a populist figure - which John Gregory certainly was. Crouch was poster boy for the new manager and as such never really had a chance. 

This is true.  There was also the impression that Taylor had replaced the "fans' signing" Angel with Crouch, as a harbinger of route one football instead of passing football, which also upset a lot of supporters.  I think the supporter base back then was as split as the dressing room you make out.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #371 on: September 20, 2020, 01:28:23 PM »
In 02/03 Crouch didn't score a goal for us, so was loaned out to continue his development.  He then couldn't force his way into a regular spot ahead of JPA and Vassell who got 16 goals and 9 goals respectively.  I guess he probably wanted to leave at that point. 

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #372 on: September 20, 2020, 01:34:46 PM »
Bomb Lansbury, Jota, Nyland and Kalinic out to some poor unsuspecting fool and you're probably talking the sharp end of £150k per week off the wage bill without losing anyone who is going to be missed.

Name one club that's going to pay Lansbury over £2m in wages this season?

Offline Percy McCarthy

« Reply #373 on: September 20, 2020, 01:49:14 PM »
David Platt,pound for pound, was possibly our best ever signing.

Pound for pound?

Dwight Yorke.

Online SheffieldVillain

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #374 on: September 20, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »
Bomb Lansbury, Jota, Nyland and Kalinic out to some poor unsuspecting fool and you're probably talking the sharp end of £150k per week off the wage bill without losing anyone who is going to be missed.

Name one club that's going to pay Lansbury over £2m in wages this season?

How on earth would I know who is or isn't interested in our players?

I wouldn't have thought any sensible human being would have considered spending actual money on ridding us of Scott Hogan either, but there we go.

The point still remains that the extra wages we are paying out this summer to new signings so far would be theoretically be balanced out by losing those four players. I didn't say it was going to happen. If anything it shows just how ridiculous our recruitment and contracting has been in the past.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 02:00:43 PM by SheffieldVillain »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal