collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by MalcolmP
[Today at 11:29:40 PM]

Villa Dreams and Superstitions by Deano's Mullet
[Today at 11:18:42 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:09:02 PM]

NSWE Investment by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:57:51 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:55:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:57 PM]

Claret membership by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:08 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by trinityoap
[Today at 10:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world  (Read 518967 times)

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
Basically a nightmare, a genius and a legend all rolled into one.

Offline rob_bridge

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Emi knew about that slightly ridiculous rule that yellow cards don't carry over into penalty shootouts?

I'd love that to be the case!

You would hope so because not one of the people praising his antics now would have been happy to see Olsen coming on for the rest of that shoot out. Or to have to start him in the SF.

I asked in jest really. I don't believe for a second that Emi knew the rule as you could see how panicked he was when the ref went over to him with the card.

I Love Emi and the edge he can give you in situations like that, but to be honest I think referees put up with far too much from him at times.

Literally every week forwards score goals and shhhh the crowd. A goalie does it when he makes an important save and it’s somehow becomes bookable.
Stats have shown he is only half way up the league of time wasting goalies, but top of the league of goalies booked for time wasting.
He gets booked on reputation but actually his ‘behaviour’ is no worse than loads of other players.

Fans give opposing players stick. Sometimes incessantly. I know I have.

You can't moan if they give it back!

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
We must tie him down with another extended contract,
the most watertight in the club's history!

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
He's a winner and exactly what we need. I love him.

Too right

The guy is a mental giant. In both senses of term.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Suspended for first leg of the semi apparently cos of 3 yellows across the 2 legs

https://twitter.com/villareport/status/1781063558005940246?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

At least he'll be there for shootout in second leg

I thought they were wiped out for the semifinals?

Not if he picks up the ban from the Quarters, although I will wait until UEFA say something first.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
I'm a married hetrosexual man, outside of my immediate family I don't usual love men. But things can change.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
F365 doing all the best writing again.

A penalty shootout is always a Gladiatorial event, but we can’t recall seeing one so thoroughly dominated by one man. The fact it came against French opposition is quite simply very, very funny. The fact it came against French opposition who spent 120 minutes and the entire shootout booing him funnier still. It was all absolutely delicious.

Martinez was warned for housery even before picking up his second yellow card (but not a red one) for what he magnificently would later try to describe as simply asking for his ball back. “Please, mister…”

It’s easy – nay irresistible – to get entirely lost in the Martinez shootout persona because it’s so magnificent. But it’s worth at least acknowledging that he is also a perfect keeper physically and technically for this. He has a huge, goal-filling frame even before the smell of a shootout gets that chest puffed out further. He’s deceptively agile too. We all know what a brilliant shot-stopper he is.

If you were building the perfect keeper for a shootout, you’d just pick Martinez. Loves the one-on-one nature of it. Loves the pressure. Loves the gamesmanship. But has absolutely all the basic keeping attributes to go with all the other stuff. It never felt like this shootout could possibly end in any way other than Martinez dancing away in triumph – albeit at first uncertainly as he glanced at the referee, and even that was magnificent – having made the decisive save.

His first stop in the shootout was a genuinely brilliant one to deny a perfectly respectable penalty from Bentaleb struck low to the keeper’s left but just not quite far enough into the corner. The final penalty was a bit rubbish – not Bernardo bad, but still bad – and once Martinez guessed right this one was a formality for our hero.

We’ve covered games that have gone to penalties plenty of times before. We don’t think we’ve ever written the entire match piece about the penalties before. That is the power of Martinez. ‘He’s got balls of steel’ was the admiring commentary line of the night. He has, you know. And you have to admire those balls

Offline DrGonzo

He’s incredible. No doubt . He definitely knows he can’t be sent off for a second yellow it happened at the World Cup. It didn’t do anything for the club’s image though.

Online AV84

To be fair to him, having watched the shootout a few times now, I do think he was actually looking for a ball so Watkins could take the penalty.

Offline RamboandBruno

F365 doing all the best writing again.

A penalty shootout is always a Gladiatorial event, but we can’t recall seeing one so thoroughly dominated by one man. The fact it came against French opposition is quite simply very, very funny. The fact it came against French opposition who spent 120 minutes and the entire shootout booing him funnier still. It was all absolutely delicious.

Martinez was warned for housery even before picking up his second yellow card (but not a red one) for what he magnificently would later try to describe as simply asking for his ball back. “Please, mister…”

It’s easy – nay irresistible – to get entirely lost in the Martinez shootout persona because it’s so magnificent. But it’s worth at least acknowledging that he is also a perfect keeper physically and technically for this. He has a huge, goal-filling frame even before the smell of a shootout gets that chest puffed out further. He’s deceptively agile too. We all know what a brilliant shot-stopper he is.

If you were building the perfect keeper for a shootout, you’d just pick Martinez. Loves the one-on-one nature of it. Loves the pressure. Loves the gamesmanship. But has absolutely all the basic keeping attributes to go with all the other stuff. It never felt like this shootout could possibly end in any way other than Martinez dancing away in triumph – albeit at first uncertainly as he glanced at the referee, and even that was magnificent – having made the decisive save.

His first stop in the shootout was a genuinely brilliant one to deny a perfectly respectable penalty from Bentaleb struck low to the keeper’s left but just not quite far enough into the corner. The final penalty was a bit rubbish – not Bernardo bad, but still bad – and once Martinez guessed right this one was a formality for our hero.

We’ve covered games that have gone to penalties plenty of times before. We don’t think we’ve ever written the entire match piece about the penalties before. That is the power of Martinez. ‘He’s got balls of steel’ was the admiring commentary line of the night. He has, you know. And you have to admire those balls
One of our greatest ever players

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Had a nose mate message me, apparently Emi manipulated the rules to suit 😂

It's what the big clubs do.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
Christ, can you imagine being his mate on a night out and trying to keep him out of trouble after a few drinks?  :o

Lovable nightmare!

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
He’s incredible. No doubt . He definitely knows he can’t be sent off for a second yellow it happened at the World Cup. It didn’t do anything for the club’s image though.

Winning a quarter final did nothing for the club’s image?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
  It didn’t do anything for the club’s image though.

With all due respect, cobblers.

He did magnificently, the clubs image will be hoisted juist fine by advancing another round.

Online AV84

I think that article someone posted sums it up, he's a messer but he backs it up by also being brilliant. Which I think winds people up even more.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal