collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world  (Read 478320 times)

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
Re: Emiliano Martinez - signed
« Reply #330 on: September 16, 2020, 04:42:22 PM »
I’m in Little Venice in London , obs in my new top, and a manager of a bar just said “ congratulations on our goalie. You have a legend in the making “

Happy with that

Jimmy Rimmer mk2

Championship goalie

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #331 on: September 16, 2020, 05:06:24 PM »
Anyone else thinking "£17m for a 28 year old reserve with 15 appearances over six years, WTF?" or is it just me? This is more a comment on the madness of the market than the player who seems extremely solid in terms of ability and personality.

For an outfield player I would agree. Not a GK. Especially one with very few miles on the clock.

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #332 on: September 16, 2020, 05:47:48 PM »
how many argentines have played for us before?

I don't think any have ever played a first team game for us, but we have had perhaps one Argetine on the books in Bartlet.

How could you forget Oscar Arce? Or the legendary and apocryphal back four of Aitken-Brown-Arce-Hole?

Aitken was back four (Left back)  Brown Arce and Hole were midfielders (Hole was a very good player and Jimmy Brown was just 15 years and 349 days old when he made his debut). Oscar had a brother Hector who was also at the Villa so we had 2 Arce's. They played around same time as we had Zimbabweans Mwile and Kapengwi? We used to be at the forefront of foreign player signings!

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #333 on: September 16, 2020, 05:48:38 PM »
I’m in Little Venice in London , obs in my new top, and a manager of a bar just said “ congratulations on our goalie. You have a legend in the making “

Happy with that

Jimmy Rimmer mk2

Championship goalie

Luckily we didn’t get relegated to find out whether he was championship standard.

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #334 on: September 16, 2020, 05:55:28 PM »
how many argentines have played for us before?

I don't think any have ever played a first team game for us, but we have had perhaps one Argetine on the books in Bartlet.

How could you forget Oscar Arce? Or the legendary and apocryphal back four of Aitken-Brown-Arce-Hole?

Aitken was back four (Left back)  Brown Arce and Hole were midfielders (Hole was a very good player and Jimmy Brown was just 15 years and 349 days old when he made his debut). Oscar had a brother Hector who was also at the Villa so we had 2 Arce's. They played around same time as we had Zimbabweans Mwile and Kapengwi? We used to be at the forefront of foreign player signings!

Freddie Mwila and Emment Kapengwe seemed such exciting, exotic signings at the time and achieved nothing. Actually they were from Zambia. We've only had one Zimbabwean player and he's been marvelous (sic).

Meanwhile welcome Emiliano. Looks like an excellent signing.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #335 on: September 16, 2020, 06:03:35 PM »
happy with this signing - he's big, imposing, and not afraid to take charge - we've had a few quiet goalkeepers recently... we need one to give the back four confidence.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #336 on: September 16, 2020, 06:13:07 PM »
Jury seems divided. It’s a weird transfer in a lot of ways. I can’t think of many examples of a keeper moving downwards from a more successful team unless they’ve become rubbish or are old. Neither of those things is true of this guy.

Keeper market is weird anyway, low turnover, not very efficiently priced. Cheap ones, very expensive ones, not many in the middle where Martinez is.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #337 on: September 16, 2020, 06:18:07 PM »
Arsenal fans I know think he’s great.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #338 on: September 16, 2020, 06:19:08 PM »
The transfer says a lot about his and our ambition and that can't be bad.

Welcome Emi, if you can kick it when it needs to be kicked, catch it when it needs to be caught and stop it when it needs to be stopped, then you'll do for me.

Seriously, you are welcome to the greatest club in the world.  I hope you have a long and successful career with us.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #339 on: September 16, 2020, 06:41:10 PM »
Was it the most excellent South American Football expert that is Tim Vickery? Or do Sky have one of own that's escaped me. Vickery is independent and brodcasts across all the platforms sky BBC Talksport always knowing on all things South American have had the pleasure of speaking to him on the excellent 5 live world football phone in!
I quite enjoy to hear his thoughts and knowledge.

Has to be him !

I was a regular listener to Dotun and Tim for years pre-lockdown, when were you on the show? I like the way Vickery often mixes cultural or historical events with football.

Not 100% sure but I think I played football against him in Rio about 20 years ago.

Oh round Christmas bout 4/5 years ago now when Oscar was transferring to China. Discussing the league and transfer window and his move as well as players moving /playing in Ukraine and Russia.

The other time was on an one of the  world cup special couple years ago! I'm quite shy so don't say much but it was quite fun.

That's amazing you played against him . I believe he's a spurs fan which he jokes about and use to be married to a Brazilian!

I'd like to hear what he thinks about Thiago Silva at Chelsea.
Perhaps the best looking player now in the Prem ahead of James Rodriguez! I prefer the Sofia Vergara type!
She's quite the woman !

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #340 on: September 16, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »
No. Tyrone Mings is the league’s most handsome devil.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #341 on: September 16, 2020, 08:43:20 PM »
He sounds like Kermit the frog, which for me is a massive positive.

I've not listened, but I have just discovered a new Muppets series on Disney+. I assume you're referring to 'classic' Kermit, because the new one is not Kermit. Nosiree, not Kermit at all.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2020, 09:28:13 PM »
We have signed a disproportionate number of keepers since relegation in 2016.

However, Martínez looked very good after he got his chance post-lockdown, so long may it continue, even if his price tag most probably more than doubled in a matter of weeks.

It's weird to think that we have seen him play in a league match more recently than the Arsenal fans; the turgid goalless draw at Reading where we barely tested him.

In fact, Arsenal fans haven't seen him play a league game in the flesh for nearly 6 years,  and he's had a long stint warming the bench, or playing in some cup games along with a selection of lower league loans.

However, as others have alluded to, Rimmer mk 2 would do nicely.

Online Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #343 on: September 16, 2020, 11:20:00 PM »
Was it the most excellent South American Football expert that is Tim Vickery? Or do Sky have one of own that's escaped me. Vickery is independent and brodcasts across all the platforms sky BBC Talksport always knowing on all things South American have had the pleasure of speaking to him on the excellent 5 live world football phone in!
I quite enjoy to hear his thoughts and knowledge.

Has to be him !

I was a regular listener to Dotun and Tim for years pre-lockdown, when were you on the show? I like the way Vickery often mixes cultural or historical events with football.

Not 100% sure but I think I played football against him in Rio about 20 years ago.

Oh round Christmas bout 4/5 years ago now when Oscar was transferring to China. Discussing the league and transfer window and his move as well as players moving /playing in Ukraine and Russia.

The other time was on an one of the  world cup special couple years ago! I'm quite shy so don't say much but it was quite fun.

That's amazing you played against him . I believe he's a spurs fan which he jokes about and use to be married to a Brazilian!

I'd like to hear what he thinks about Thiago Silva at Chelsea.
Perhaps the best looking player now in the Prem ahead of James Rodriguez! I prefer the Sofia Vergara type!
She's quite the woman !

Good stuff, WFPI is one of the many podcasts I listen to when at work. The chats normally pretty good and does give a good insight into non football stuff when they go off on a tangent.
Tim Vickery talk on all things South American certainly whets my appetite as it’s a continent I’d love to visit. All the guests are pretty good, the only one that grinds with me sometimes is Mina Rizouki.

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #344 on: September 17, 2020, 12:39:39 PM »
So which keepers are we keeping then?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal