collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world  (Read 496226 times)

Offline JuanMartinez

Re: Emiliano Martinez - signed
« Reply #765 on: March 22, 2021, 08:01:04 AM »
Thought his kicking was fine tonight.
The one that set up the first goal was brilliant

The team still had plenty of time to “defend” In the chain of events.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #766 on: March 22, 2021, 10:35:33 AM »
Thought his kicking was fine tonight.
The one that set up the first goal was brilliant

The team still had plenty of time to “defend” In the chain of events.
They would not have needed to if he had cleared the ball.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #767 on: March 22, 2021, 10:47:54 AM »
And we would have lost a lot more games had he not been in goal. He made a mistake, but we still had chance to deal with it.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #768 on: March 22, 2021, 10:53:10 AM »
Sadly when keepers make those sorts of mistakes it usually ends up in the back of the net.
It cost us the game. Same as Engels last season.
He is a very good keeper but his kicking is sometimes a bit dodgy.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #769 on: March 22, 2021, 11:16:58 AM »
Completely disagree. His distribution as a whole is usually bang on it. Only saw the 2nd half and haven’t yet seen the first goal. But whatever happened, it’s very harsh to do Martinez out after what he’s done for us this season. Everyone is allowed a fk up or 2.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #770 on: March 22, 2021, 11:35:24 AM »
One mistake doesn't undo all the good things he's done for us this season but he should have cleared it properly. I'm sure he will have taken responsibility for it. His a class act but let's not see a repeat of that again. Individual errors aside and we dealt with their threat and given how ropey Spurs looked, we might have got something out of it.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #771 on: March 22, 2021, 03:39:04 PM »
When Emi had a mare against West Ham, he worked on his errors in training the next day.

He’s a class act, and I don’t think he’ll need telling when his standards drop. Normally his distribution is arguably as good as some of our outfield players.

I think Ezri Konsa will be my POTY, but Emi would be a mighty close second.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 03:52:24 PM by CT »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #772 on: March 22, 2021, 04:01:18 PM »
If ever Martinez does anything as bad as Alisson then I will get worries. It was an error  but it only placed us under pressure not give them a direct shot at an empty net and we had time  and space to do something about it.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #773 on: May 03, 2021, 05:11:40 PM »
Along side and par with Ollie as best summer signing.
Wonderful. Solid , reliable , consistent and won and and saved us matches and points.

What hoping to see now is a development of his distribution. Something I have small concerns on but every faith his kicking and passing out will improve. It's clearly a method Dean wants along with Cutler coaching this to be playing out from the back and the goalie to be able to kick out accurately.
Generally he's comfortable recieving but has a some struggles to pass out accurately for a longer ball by foot.

I do like he's looking for quick transition with his throw outs regularly as he's a master at catching the ball. Though he's as frustrated as us all watching as generally no one around to receive or space to throw out
I think next season we'll see Emi build up attacks and transitions with his throw outs as players make them available as well as being neater at passing the ball out to build up play rather than the occasions of a wayward ball in to touch Martinez will only develop greater this kicking side of the game.

Fantastic goalie and so pleased he's our Number 1.
Best goalkeeper in the league this season for me.
Well done Emi

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #774 on: May 03, 2021, 05:55:03 PM »
If ever Martinez does anything as bad as Alisson then I will get worries. It was an error  but it only placed us under pressure not give them a direct shot at an empty net and we had time  and space to do something about it.

The very close in reaction save from DCL on Saturday hasn’t been spoken of enough but it’s precisely the stuff he does routinely. And that’s not undervaluing how immense he is with crosses or dealing with short range distribution with opposing players in front of him. He’s not even come remotely close to any of the massive howlers from supposedly better keepers or those with greater reputations. He’s been absolutely superb in almost every department for pretty much all of the season.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #775 on: May 03, 2021, 06:44:34 PM »

The very close in reaction save from DCL on Saturday hasn’t been spoken of enough but it’s precisely the stuff he does routinely. And that’s not undervaluing how immense he is with crosses or dealing with short range distribution with opposing players in front of him. He’s not even come remotely close to any of the massive howlers from supposedly better keepers or those with greater reputations. He’s been absolutely superb in almost every department for pretty much all of the season.

We need to remember the way we felt for maybe four or five years in a row every time the opposition got a corner or put balls in the box. This was exacerbated with Nyland , where I for one felt the opposition would score every time they swung the ball in. It’s easy now to become blasé about what Martinez does, but the amount of difficult crosses he just catches routinely, is huge for us. World class keeper.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #776 on: May 03, 2021, 07:37:24 PM »
Indeed.

Fulham had done a bit of work on deadball delivery from corners and freekicks and continually found good areas in the first half a few weeks back.

Yet Martinez dealt with everything: not afraid to go through their players (or ours) if required.

I remember thinking then, if it had been Nyland flapping about, we'd probably be 2-0 down. Despite bossing the game in that first period.

You can look back on a season and remember the saves in games like Wolves away that clearly led to points. But it's the confidence he gives those in front of him that shows his true worth.  They make less mistakes because they can act with surety; they know they have a solid presence behind them. Not someone who will act in an unpredictable/ rash way that needs to be factored in any time the ball goes above the centre half pairing.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 07:40:04 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #777 on: May 03, 2021, 08:05:03 PM »
I really hope he breaks the clean sheet record for us.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #778 on: May 17, 2021, 06:19:44 PM »
Called up for Argentina's WC qualifiers.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #779 on: May 17, 2021, 07:37:40 PM »
Congratulations to Emi. Delighted for him. Bet he's dreamt of this all his life and probably at one point thought it'd never happen.

Vamos Emi 😎

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal