collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world  (Read 502934 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Emiliano Martinez - signed
« Reply #570 on: January 24, 2021, 10:43:23 AM »
He's the most complete keeper I've seen.

Friedel couldn't dominate his area and Bozzie had poor distribution. Martinez comes and claims everything, he is quick off his line, he can pass (funny Carragher going here is Beckenbauer when in possession), he has great reactions and he is also an excellent shot stopper.

He's easily one of the top 3 keepers in the league.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #571 on: January 24, 2021, 11:00:59 AM »
I agree with that assessment, Ads.

We've had some really good goalkeepers down the years, but Martinez looks the most complete. 

Of the last three that won us trophies, Rimmer was exceptionally brave and marshalled (for which read, bollocked) his defence continuously. Spink was an excellent shot stopper considering his large frame but never really commanded the whole area and as such didn't inspire those in front of him with the confidence that they had in his immediate predecessor.  Bosnich arguably the best shot stopper, certainly from close range, we've had, but with the advent of the no pass-back rule his distribution with his feet was a liability: even his drop kicks far too often ended up going for opposition throws.

No one would ever deny that Schmeichel, Friedel and, most recently, Reina were great keepers, but they came to us past their peak.  The "has been" names that were for too long the Villa way in the transfer market. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 11:02:57 AM by TopDeck113 »

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #572 on: January 24, 2021, 11:03:29 AM »
His distribution is unreal. That sideways leg swing technique thing he does for long passes is so accurate.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #573 on: January 24, 2021, 11:13:36 AM »
I didn't think David James was too bad for us either to be honest. He seemed a bit more focused when he came to us. Martinez has been very very good though. You just know that he is going to come and claim the ball nine times out of ten.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #574 on: January 24, 2021, 12:24:12 PM »
I didn't think David James was too bad for us either to be honest. He seemed a bit more focused when he came to us. Martinez has been very very good though. You just know that he is going to come and claim the ball nine times out of ten.

In my mind, David James's Villa career will always be tainted be the goal in the Cup Final.  In fact, his entire career is tainted by the two goals he conceded in two of three Cup Finals he played in: two set piece crosses, two mistakes, two goals that settled the outcome.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #575 on: January 24, 2021, 12:34:46 PM »
One thing I love about Martinez is when a ball is crossed into our box, and one then hears the booming sound of 'KEEPER', and it's safe to relax.

Offline chrisf

« Reply #576 on: January 24, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »
In my mind, David James's Villa career will always be tainted be the goal in the Cup Final.
I didn't know that. Couldn't see clearly on the day and have spent the last twenty years trying to erase the memory. Just watched it for the first time on youtube. Pretty shit keeping.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #577 on: January 24, 2021, 12:39:37 PM »

In my mind, David James's Villa career will always be tainted be the goal in the Cup Final.  In fact, his entire career is tainted by the two goals he conceded in two of three Cup Finals he played in: two set piece crosses, two mistakes, two goals that settled the outcome.

Forgot about that to be honest. Mind you, that whole 90 minutes was forgettable.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #578 on: January 24, 2021, 12:50:09 PM »
His distribution is unreal. That sideways leg swing technique thing he does for long passes is so accurate.

It’s like David Beckham quality only in goalie form

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #579 on: January 24, 2021, 12:58:57 PM »

That's all I ever think of when somebody mentions David James. Whatever positive things he did, I can only ever think, "you dropped the FA Cup".

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #580 on: January 24, 2021, 01:58:29 PM »
Another clean sheet he's a top top keeper.

Offline trinityoap

« Reply #581 on: January 24, 2021, 02:23:57 PM »
1.Exudes confidence
2.inspires confidence
3.Dominates his area
4.Actually catches the bloody ball
5.Knows how and when to distribute the ball
6.Can probably take penalties.
7.Can become Villa's best goalkeeper in living memory.
8.Enough said.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #582 on: January 24, 2021, 02:27:28 PM »
1.Exudes confidence
2.inspires confidence
3.Dominates his area
4.Actually catches the bloody ball
5.Knows how and when to distribute the ball
6.Can probably take penalties.
7.Can become Villa's best goalkeeper in living memory.
8.Enough said.

Apart from Heaton for a short time numbers 3 + 4 we have lacked for some time

Offline nigel

« Reply #583 on: January 24, 2021, 02:44:40 PM »
He's the most complete keeper I've seen.

Friedel couldn't dominate his area and Bozzie had poor distribution. Martinez comes and claims everything, he is quick off his line, he can pass (funny Carragher going here is Beckenbauer when in possession), he has great reactions and he is also an excellent shot stopper.

He's easily one of the top 3 keepers in the league.

For Emi to be mentioned alongside Rimmer and Spink (my two best keepers) as Villa’s best keeper is testament to how good he is.
It’s actually difficult to see how he can improve!

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #584 on: January 24, 2021, 06:24:58 PM »
It is a joy to watch Emi. Commands the box and takes everything in the air. I have been very impressed with his distribution and range of pass. No doubt his confidence is rubbing off on the defence who are doing really well this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal