collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world  (Read 514028 times)

Offline Simon Page

Re: Emiliano Martinez - signed
« Reply #1515 on: December 24, 2021, 12:39:55 PM »
Funny how some players can be increasingly mythologised over time while the undoubted ability of others are diminished. I'm now certain Little, Shaw and McGrath never dipped below perfection. Meanwhile Bosnich (probably owing to his immense ability to be a tit) has become a series of misplaced kicks and antisemitism. He was truly world class for us and consistently so. One of the best keepers in the world at the time. As is Martinez, even if some of his antics would have you spitting blood if he performed them against us.

Long may football continue to do this to us.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1516 on: December 24, 2021, 02:07:00 PM »
Do you not think though it’s about time we had someone like Martinez acting up the way he does.  We’ve been way too accommodating and nice for years.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1517 on: December 24, 2021, 02:34:16 PM »
I don't think any of us as slagging Bozzie off Simon.  Just recalling things we remember.  He was a great keeper of his time and played his part in a cracking team. 

It does raise the point though that keeping has had to change because of the rules being altered.  I remember thinking Pep was crazy for dropping Joe Hart because he wasn't a good enough player.  He was right.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1518 on: December 24, 2021, 02:41:13 PM »
I don't think any of us as slagging Bozzie off Simon.  Just recalling things we remember.  He was a great keeper of his time and played his part in a cracking team. 

It does raise the point though that keeping has had to change because of the rules being altered.  I remember thinking Pep was crazy for dropping Joe Hart because he wasn't a good enough player.  He was right.

Given the amount of teams that use a high press I reckon a keeper with the vision and ability to shift the ball forward quickly is now more important than centre backs who are decent on the ball, it's the one position where you can always be guaranteed the time to look up and pick a man out in 'open' play.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1519 on: December 24, 2021, 02:49:50 PM »
My one and only reason for liking Pep was he was absolutely right about Jo chocolate wrists Hart. The guy was an absolute liability and how he ever got England caps is still a mystery to this day. Absolute garbage.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1520 on: December 24, 2021, 03:24:29 PM »
Joe was unbelievable at the turn of the last decade. He's a decent lad too. No need to put the boot in.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1521 on: December 24, 2021, 03:49:07 PM »
Do you not think though it’s about time we had someone like Martinez acting up the way he does.  We’ve been way too accommodating and nice for years.
every decent team needs a bit of shit-house in them. Ashley Young has been doing it in recent matches.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1522 on: December 24, 2021, 05:57:45 PM »
Funny how some players can be increasingly mythologised over time while the undoubted ability of others are diminished. I'm now certain Little, Shaw and McGrath never dipped below perfection. Meanwhile Bosnich (probably owing to his immense ability to be a tit) has become a series of misplaced kicks and antisemitism. He was truly world class for us and consistently so. One of the best keepers in the world at the time. As is Martinez, even if some of his antics would have you spitting blood if he performed them against us.

Long may football continue to do this to us.

I don’t think anyone has said he was rubbish and slagged him off, Simon.
He was very good for us during his time with us, but ‘consistently world class’ , for me anyhow, is certainly stretching it a bit.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #1523 on: December 24, 2021, 06:01:56 PM »

In as much as it concerns me, I don't really like it but accept I'm probably in the minority and it isn't going to change any time soon. It many ways the hypocrisy (great when one of ours, otherwise crime against humanity) and the players gesticulating while wearing a respect armband is quite funny.

I wasn't suggesting people were claiming Bozzie was shite (the antisemitism barb was an exaggeration). It's just prior to Martinez you'd struggle to find anyone not just marvelling at his golden age. A similar rewrite is happening with another bloke who used to play for us. And I've done it loads and will absolutely do it again repeatedly. It's one of the joys of football.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1524 on: December 24, 2021, 06:03:22 PM »

I actually think best position to have that type of player who winds up opponents is keeper.

Of course we could have Diego Costa type upfront but reality is playing for us those types would get sent 2-3 times a season and miss 5-10 games.

As keeper Emi rarely gets booked, don't think he did for taunting Fernandes before the penalty miss so can get away with loads more psyching out of opposition than outfield players.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1525 on: December 25, 2021, 01:45:50 AM »

In as much as it concerns me, I don't really like it but accept I'm probably in the minority and it isn't going to change any time soon. It many ways the hypocrisy (great when one of ours, otherwise crime against humanity) and the players gesticulating while wearing a respect armband is quite funny.

I wasn't suggesting people were claiming Bozzie was shite (the antisemitism barb was an exaggeration). It's just prior to Martinez you'd struggle to find anyone not just marvelling at his golden age. A similar rewrite is happening with another bloke who used to play for us. And I've done it loads and will absolutely do it again repeatedly. It's one of the joys of football.

The same is happening, now that Gerrard has made a good start, concerning Dean Smith. It's ok for both of them to be good.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1526 on: December 25, 2021, 07:41:16 AM »
I would love us to get him tied down to a new deal. He is truly world class.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1527 on: December 27, 2021, 05:47:43 PM »
The ref couldn’t wait to get his card out when he was ‘chatting’ to Jorgino before their first penalty

Offline Alex77

• GM : 19.11.2023
« Reply #1528 on: December 27, 2021, 06:06:08 PM »
What did he actually get booked for? I presumed it was for his usual shit housery but someone told me it was for roughing up the penalty spot.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1529 on: December 27, 2021, 06:34:32 PM »
What did he actually get booked for? I presumed it was for his usual shit housery but someone told me it was for roughing up the penalty spot.

I saw him do that to the spot, I assumed that was what it was for.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal