collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:34 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431321 times)

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1470 on: October 29, 2021, 06:11:17 AM »
When Danny Ings was brought I couldn’t understand why, yes we needed an understudy to Watkins but what we brought was a replacement IMO I’m still non the wiser.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #1471 on: October 29, 2021, 10:27:38 AM »
The muddled thinking was summed up in last week's match where he took two of our most expensive signings off (Buendia/Ings) and we looked much more effective.

Watkins wasn't one of the problems last season - how we use him this season has created a new problem.

Agreed.  The only time we looked right was with 3 in midfield and Watkins playing centrally and pulling the centre halves out of shape.

I know ings has scored a couple of goals but he hasn’t impressed in terms of overall performance.

FWIW I’d go with Bailey, Watkins and (based on the opinions of others as I remain totally unconvinced) Buendia up front.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1472 on: October 29, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »
It should be Bailey-Watkins-Buendia, but the compromise would be Watkins-Ings-Bailey with the opportunity to change it if it's all going wrong.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1473 on: January 17, 2022, 12:07:08 PM »
Watkins got 15 goals last season his 1st in the pl, a great return playing as the lone striker. He's a proper team player with a great work ethic.
I felt sorry for him in the 1st half vs man ure playing on the right flank acting almost like cover for Sanson and Cash. He isn't going to get many goals playing 15-20 metres inside his own half and he certainly didn't become an international patrolling the right touchline. He is still doing a job for the team and his effort is still there, but we're in danger of a confidence player losing his confidence because of him making wrong decisions in areas of the pitch he is unaccustomed to. This will affect him making right decisions in his normal striking role. If it was up to me he'd be playing as the main striker with Buendia and Coutinho (or even Bailey?). As Bailey is injured and Coutinho working towards match fitness get Carney or McGinn into that supportive role behind Ollie. It's just plain common sense if the most of Ollie's talents are going to be utilised rather than wasted.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #1474 on: January 18, 2022, 07:56:31 PM »
If we could I’d cut our losses on Danny in this window, and yes it means having no experienced cover etc

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1475 on: January 18, 2022, 09:35:17 PM »
It should be Bailey-Watkins-Buendia, but the compromise would be Watkins-Ings-Bailey with the opportunity to change it if it's all going wrong.

Watkins offers very little out wide, even as a tactical change late in games. I guess in the second tier, being strong and fast was enough to dominate a lot of right backs like Alan Hutton one day at Villa Park. But in the prem you need to have a bit more guile about you.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1476 on: January 19, 2022, 11:23:43 AM »
If we could I’d cut our losses on Danny in this window, and yes it means having no experienced cover etc

Don't agree. Ings is still a quality player. And having no cover for Watkins makes no sense.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1477 on: January 19, 2022, 05:51:09 PM »
Ings is a far better finisher and proven than Watkins
OW has been a mixture this season and been getting up to speed he's job shunted out wide for 60/70 mins then plays central.
What's going to happen when Suarez signs and when Bailey is back

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1478 on: January 19, 2022, 06:28:15 PM »
Ings is a far better finisher and proven than Watkins
OW has been a mixture this season and been getting up to speed he's job shunted out wide for 60/70 mins then plays central.
What's going to happen when Suarez signs and when Bailey is back

Who knows, but isn't it nice to have options? Young and hungry on one hand and older and wiser on the other. We've a great blend.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1479 on: January 24, 2022, 05:58:27 AM »
I like Watkins, love his work rate but he's really not kicked on this season like I hoped he would.  Maybe Ings coming in and the subsequent change in formation has thrown him along with becoming a new dad but he really needs to step up in the 2nd half of the season.  If he can't i'm happy to see us try and rinse Arsenal come the Summer and look to upgrade.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1480 on: January 24, 2022, 07:50:39 AM »
He's like Smith in that he's missing Grealish. Of his 14 goals last season 11 were with Greasy in the team, 3 without. He's a willing runner and works hard, he's just rubbish in front of goal a lot of the time.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #1481 on: January 24, 2022, 08:06:20 AM »
Like most strikers I think he thrives on confidence. Unfortunately this season he's spent most of the time being played out of position and that's dented his confidence.

Give him a run of games with a fit Coutinho and Buendia creating the chances and I reckon he'll get back to his best.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

« Reply #1482 on: January 24, 2022, 08:09:41 AM »
I like Watkins, love his work rate but he's really not kicked on this season like I hoped he would.  Maybe Ings coming in and the subsequent change in formation has thrown him along with becoming a new dad but he really needs to step up in the 2nd half of the season.  If he can't i'm happy to see us try and rinse Arsenal come the Summer and look to upgrade.

I'd agree with most of this and would add that I've loved his goals since he joined and maybe the change of manager has also "thrown him"
I'd be interested to know names (discounting the aging Suarez) who would be considered an upgrade on Watkins who is a young international with his best years ahead of him and is a proper team player?
Also why would we even consider selling him to a rival in Arsenal and leave ourselves open to the same ridicule that they are subjected to having sold Martinez to us prematurely?
I'm excited to see what Ollie can do for the rest of the season with Buendia and Coutinho playing just behind him.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1483 on: January 24, 2022, 08:41:36 AM »
I think Tammy would have been a good one - IMO we should have signed him rather than Ings

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

« Reply #1484 on: January 24, 2022, 08:46:13 AM »
Tammy would have been a good signing yet he's the one that got away. I'd be interested  to know Lange's and Purslow's thinking on that one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal