collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431729 times)

Offline LukeJames

Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1140 on: May 09, 2021, 08:20:30 PM »
Unless by some miracle the second yellow is overturned, Ollie now misses the game vs Everton on Thursday. Which is fucking big deal and a major victory for Everton given how he dominated their CB’s the last time out. It’s a massive blow for us.

It can't be overturned and neither should it be.  It was blatant simulation.  He's let the club down badly today

With all due respect that is complete bollocks

It isn't.  It was sheer simulation/cheating.  You can't just "look the other way" because he's got a claret and blue shirt on.  The fact that Watkins barely contested the decision should tell you the story.  He knew what he'd done and got caught out.

BC you are completely out of order today. Go take a nap.

If Ollie plants his foot and Henderson goes through him at that height then we've got a Pickford/VVD situation on our hands and we're without our only performing striker for who knows how long.

Fact is, there was contact and Cristiano Ronaldo himself set the precedent in this league that contact isn't necessary to impede a players forward progress. That was a knee high challenge by a goalkeeper who has no idea how to properly defend. Again, there was obviously contact and different strikers on different clubs get that call 10 out of 10 times.

You're a disgrace for slagging off the hardest working player we've had in a decade.

Look at the video again.  He is going down before Henderson gets to him, and Watkins did not challenge the decision.  We're now left with our main striker missing for Thursday for a winnable game.

I'll happily defend our players till the cows come home, but I'm not defending the indefensible, regardless of how much of a shift they put in (which by the way should be a given like in any walk of life).

I called Jack out for the dive at West Ham and against Palace last season.

I was about to start calling you out for chatting utter shit about the Ollie decision today but then you openly admit to calling Grealish out for the Palace decision. Fucking hell.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1141 on: May 09, 2021, 08:25:16 PM »
Did you call out Cahill for diving as well?

Fuck me, some shit being chatted.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1142 on: May 09, 2021, 08:29:27 PM »
Look at the video again.  He is going down before Henderson gets to him, and Watkins did not challenge the decision.  We're now left with our main striker missing for Thursday for a winnable game.

I'll happily defend our players till the cows come home, but I'm not defending the indefensible, regardless of how much of a shift they put in (which by the way should be a given like in any walk of life).

I called Jack out for the dive at West Ham and against Palace last season.  It saddens me that its become part of the game and I don't like it.

No one is saying he wasn't already going down, Smith specifically mentioned it in his interviews by saying "does he need to get injured to get a penalty?". Watkins was going down because he tried to avoid being clattered by a knee high boot.

Only someone who has never played competitive sport would struggle to see that what Watkins did was evasive action rather than simulation.

It's also interesting that you don't seem bothered by Pogba going down very easily for their penalty where there was probably less contact.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #1143 on: May 09, 2021, 08:31:05 PM »
Unless by some miracle the second yellow is overturned, Ollie now misses the game vs Everton on Thursday. Which is fucking big deal and a major victory for Everton given how he dominated their CB’s the last time out. It’s a massive blow for us.

It can't be overturned and neither should it be.  It was blatant simulation.  He's let the club down badly today

With all due respect that is complete bollocks

It isn't.  It was sheer simulation/cheating.  You can't just "look the other way" because he's got a claret and blue shirt on.  The fact that Watkins barely contested the decision should tell you the story.  He knew what he'd done and got caught out.

BC you are completely out of order today. Go take a nap.

If Ollie plants his foot and Henderson goes through him at that height then we've got a Pickford/VVD situation on our hands and we're without our only performing striker for who knows how long.

Fact is, there was contact and Cristiano Ronaldo himself set the precedent in this league that contact isn't necessary to impede a players forward progress. That was a knee high challenge by a goalkeeper who has no idea how to properly defend. Again, there was obviously contact and different strikers on different clubs get that call 10 out of 10 times.

You're a disgrace for slagging off the hardest working player we've had in a decade.

I called Jack out for the dive at West Ham and against Palace last season.

I was about to start calling you out for chatting utter shit about the Ollie decision today but then you openly admit to calling Grealish out for the Palace decision. Fucking hell.

Just to get it straight,  I meant in the home game.  The one down there was a shite decision

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1144 on: May 09, 2021, 08:37:16 PM »
Utterly bizarre victim blaming going on here.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1145 on: May 09, 2021, 08:41:52 PM »
People can't handle a defeat very well - you'd think we'd be used to it by now...

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1146 on: May 09, 2021, 08:42:17 PM »
It’s not a dive, no chance. The whole thing of a player avoiding trying to get clattered has been understood for a long time.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1147 on: May 09, 2021, 09:45:45 PM »
All the diving Manure do, all the fouls they committed throughout the game and Watkins is the easy target for a sending off. Clown ref. Joke club Manure, wish they'd fuck off and play Real Madrid every month instead and have Timothy from Oxford wank himself senseless watching the skillz on BT sports.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1148 on: May 09, 2021, 11:49:54 PM »
Jenas on MOT2 saying he’s pleased Ollie got sent off, and hopes its a turning point in tiny contact always automatically leading to penalties.  Well, I think we all know we’ll be seeing plenty more soft penalties and Ollie will likely be the only player to receive contact AND be booked for simulation from now to the end of the season.  I wonder if that’s something you can put money on?

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1149 on: May 09, 2021, 11:53:53 PM »
What Jenas's opinion on the Kane/Cash pen? boring ******.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1150 on: May 10, 2021, 12:10:06 AM »
Strange nobody mentioned how Ollie managed somehow to stay on his feet despite the obvious penalty that would have been awarded when he scored last week against Everton.

Offline NorthYvillan

« Reply #1151 on: May 10, 2021, 11:52:03 AM »
Watching Match of the Day 2 last night I found myself conflicted when listening to Jermain Jenas applaud the referee for “standing up to “cheating by diving in attempts to get penalties” when he gave Ollie a second yellow following his clash with Henderson.
There is no doubt a major problem at the moment with players going to ground at the slightest contact, or indeed no contact at all, in attempts to deceive the officials into incorrectly awarding a penalty and that far too many of them get away with it – either by being awarded a penalty kick or just being signalled to get up/or be totally ignored by the referee. There is a fairly easily assembled list of players who are the major culprits and it includes several “big six” (I use the phrase advisedly) and international players. Harry Kane would certainly feature in the top 3 or 4.
However, what really pissed me off about yesterday, is that Ollie Watkins is one of the least likely forwards in the Premier League to “take a dive” so why was it suitable to “show the cheats that they can’t get away with it” by punishing him. You only have to look at the times he has stayed on his feet when being seriously fouled with:
1.    West Ham away - being virtually strangled but staying on his feet to score (only for his arm – stretched out as part of his struggle to free himself – to be ruled by VAR to be offside)
2.   Everton away last week, when the centre-half tried to scythe him down from behind as he robbed him and stayed on his feet to score. Had he be of the diving kind, he could have gone to ground and the centre-half would most likely have been sent off for preventing a goal scoring opportunity
being 2 that immediately come to mind.
My second point is that I don’t actually think you can be certain that he dived anyway.
Jenas himself said that “Watkins clearly thought he was going to be clattered” so he went down only to find the keeper had backed out – so it was a dive. I disagree completely. Although the keeper backed out Ollie wasn’t to know he would. As Virgil van Dijk or Wesley will testify, being clattered from the side when your weight is on one of your legs can lead to a major knee injury and a long time on the side-lines. So Ollie took his feet off the ground to avoid potential serious injury and CONTACT WAS MADE albeit without the momentum that initially looked likely.
There  is a big problem with players cheating by going to ground too easily. But picking this Ollie Watkins incident as the time to start making a stand was wrong player and the wrong incident. At least we can hope that this is indeed a sign that the officials are going to start booking the cheats rather than ignoring them or, worse, being conned by them.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #1152 on: May 10, 2021, 12:13:52 PM »
Jenas is an absolute turd. Red card my arse.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1153 on: May 10, 2021, 12:15:19 PM »
Jenas is an absolute turd. Red card my arse.

The baby-faced assclown.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1154 on: May 10, 2021, 12:19:19 PM »
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/744631/Jermaine-Jenas-diving-football-tactic

And here he is defending Dele Ali for diving, the bloke is a gigantic throbbing bellend.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:23:36 PM by LukeJames »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal