collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431612 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #1125 on: May 09, 2021, 05:32:00 PM »
Has any one got a link to the incident?
Just seen it, Henderson is not in control  his foot is up and Watkins is traveling at speed and has every right to avoid contact.
The contact is slight but that is irrelevant, there is no way is it a booking for Ollie and should be a foul based on the height of Henderson’s foot.

The hand ball based on current interpretation is a penalty.

Luiz on Pogba is a penalty.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 05:43:23 PM by ChicagoLion »

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1126 on: May 09, 2021, 05:47:25 PM »
Has any one got a link to the incident?
Just seen it, Henderson is not in control  his foot is up and Watkins is traveling at speed and has every right to avoid contact.
The contact is slight but that is irrelevant, there is no way is it a booking for Ollie and should be a foul based on the height of Henderson’s foot.

The hand ball based on current interpretation is a penalty.

Luiz on Pogba is a penalty.

It was reckless, knee high challenge. I said it before and I'll say it again.. Ollie had a decision to make, rupture a knee ligament or jump out of the way. It's a no-brainer for me.

Unfortunately, by nature it is not in Ollie to get up raging mad and have a go at the referee for a ludicrous decision. Bruno Penandes, Harry Maguire and Cavani would've been inches from the referees face if it were the other way around and VAR would've given it more than 5 seconds.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #1127 on: May 09, 2021, 05:47:57 PM »
Greenwood would be a useful option for England.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1128 on: May 09, 2021, 06:15:50 PM »
I think the issue being had Watkins not been so reckless going after Maguire he would never had a caution to his name that was the issue . That bit of ill discipline on an England colleague. Ollie having had little of ball and wanted to show his worth made a stupid foul. Not hus usual move but I think Southgate being there he wanted to show agai. What he did like robbing holgate other week.

On sending off incident
For the record I thought penalty the minute he had the ball and went past. Certainly I don't think he should have been cautioned and maybe if Douglas haven't given one away Vila would have had one today

Instead Watkins suffers as does our team denied a goal scoring chance.
Probably should have been subbed anyway as his yellow would be an issue and gives him chance to recover and rest but unfair for him today as he pressed well and was fouled for a pen
Just think he should never have done that foul for his 1st yellow . Totally pointless.
But the man's no disgrace. Very unlucky in many respects

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1129 on: May 09, 2021, 06:48:39 PM »
I think the issue being had Watkins not been so reckless going after Maguire he would never had a caution to his name that was the issue . That bit of ill discipline on an England colleague. Ollie having had little of ball and wanted to show his worth made a stupid foul. Not hus usual move but I think Southgate being there he wanted to show agai. What he did like robbing holgate other week.

On sending off incident
For the record I thought penalty the minute he had the ball and went past. Certainly I don't think he should have been cautioned and maybe if Douglas haven't given one away Vila would have had one today

Instead Watkins suffers as does our team denied a goal scoring chance.
Probably should have been subbed anyway as his yellow would be an issue and gives him chance to recover and rest but unfair for him today as he pressed well and was fouled for a pen
Just think he should never have done that foul for his 1st yellow . Totally pointless.
But the man's no disgrace. Very unlucky in many respects

I disagree with you on the first yellow, I don't think it was ill-discipline or reckless, I think he was trying to to stop a clearance and made some contact but not enough for slabhead to go down like he did. Compare it (in terms of the contact between the players) to the 2nd Watkins yellow and see how different the 2 really are, to give one as a yellow and book the other for a dive means either the ref is a fucking cheat or, as seems to happen far too often, the amount of screaming made up the refs mind. Man U have been doing this for years, almost everyone who plays for them goes down with a scream of agony under every challenge and the weak-minded officials encourage it by regularly just giving them the foul without a thought.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1130 on: May 09, 2021, 06:50:29 PM »
It was a total travesty he got sent off.  The first yellow was fair I think, he looked a bit out of control.  The second...

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1131 on: May 09, 2021, 06:52:15 PM »
Unless by some miracle the second yellow is overturned, Ollie now misses the game vs Everton on Thursday. Which is fucking big deal and a major victory for Everton given how he dominated their CB’s the last time out. It’s a massive blow for us.

It can't be overturned and neither should it be.  It was blatant simulation.  He's let the club down badly today

That's the spirit, get behind your team.

FFS.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1132 on: May 09, 2021, 06:55:27 PM »
Unless by some miracle the second yellow is overturned, Ollie now misses the game vs Everton on Thursday. Which is fucking big deal and a major victory for Everton given how he dominated their CB’s the last time out. It’s a massive blow for us.

It can't be overturned and neither should it be.  It was blatant simulation.  He's let the club down badly today

With all due respect that is complete bollocks

It isn't.  It was sheer simulation/cheating.  You can't just "look the other way" because he's got a claret and blue shirt on.  The fact that Watkins barely contested the decision should tell you the story.  He knew what he'd done and got caught out.

BC you are completely out of order today. Go take a nap.

If Ollie plants his foot and Henderson goes through him at that height then we've got a Pickford/VVD situation on our hands and we're without our only performing striker for who knows how long.

Fact is, there was contact and Cristiano Ronaldo himself set the precedent in this league that contact isn't necessary to impede a players forward progress. That was a knee high challenge by a goalkeeper who has no idea how to properly defend. Again, there was obviously contact and different strikers on different clubs get that call 10 out of 10 times.

You're a disgrace for slagging off the hardest working player we've had in a decade.

Totally agree.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1133 on: May 09, 2021, 06:58:17 PM »
Probably the worst decision of the season to book him for the "dive". He took it too easily though, so did the rest of the team.
If it was them they'd have proper kicked off, it would've forced VAR to look at it.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1134 on: May 09, 2021, 06:58:58 PM »

Let the team down? We were 3-1 down at the time anyway.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1135 on: May 09, 2021, 07:02:47 PM »
I think the issue being had Watkins not been so reckless going after Maguire ... Very unlucky in many respects
Last week, he harried a defender and got a goal from it.
I don't think the challenge today was reckless.
But the key issue was the second card. Watkins did what all attackers have been doing all season: avoiding a lungeing goalkeeper. There was no penalty appeal from him; he was just in self-preservation mode.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1136 on: May 09, 2021, 07:02:50 PM »
Probably the worst decision of the season to book him for the "dive". He took it too easily though, so did the rest of the team.
If it was them they'd have proper kicked off, it would've forced VAR to look at it.

I agree, I rather have seen him get an extra game or 2 on his ban by calling the ref a fucking cheat than for him to walk away looking angry.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1137 on: May 09, 2021, 07:11:55 PM »
Think he felt there was a certain sense of inevitability about it, based on what the ref had done up to that point.

He should have been shocked. But when you see the ref letting them away with persistent niggling fouls all game and not even double checking a blatant handball, you can't say it's totally unexpected.

I hope Kavanagh gets a warm Villa Park welcome next season. Absolute shithouse. 

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1138 on: May 09, 2021, 07:48:23 PM »
A wonderful example of how difficult it is for teams to keep hold of players. If Ollie was wearing a different shirt it would've been a penalty. This, is what we are up against.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #1139 on: May 09, 2021, 08:12:48 PM »

With all due respect that is complete bollocks

It isn't.  It was sheer simulation/cheating.  You can't just "look the other way" because he's got a claret and blue shirt on.  The fact that Watkins barely contested the decision should tell you the story.  He knew what he'd done and got caught out.

BC you are completely out of order today. Go take a nap.

If Ollie plants his foot and Henderson goes through him at that height then we've got a Pickford/VVD situation on our hands and we're without our only performing striker for who knows how long.

Fact is, there was contact and Cristiano Ronaldo himself set the precedent in this league that contact isn't necessary to impede a players forward progress. That was a knee high challenge by a goalkeeper who has no idea how to properly defend. Again, there was obviously contact and different strikers on different clubs get that call 10 out of 10 times.

You're a disgrace for slagging off the hardest working player we've had in a decade.

Look at the video again.  He is going down before Henderson gets to him, and Watkins did not challenge the decision.  We're now left with our main striker missing for Thursday for a winnable game.

I'll happily defend our players till the cows come home, but I'm not defending the indefensible, regardless of how much of a shift they put in (which by the way should be a given like in any walk of life).

I called Jack out for the dive at West Ham and against Palace last season.  It saddens me that its become part of the game and I don't like it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal