collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431219 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #885 on: March 07, 2021, 03:11:56 PM »
I love Watkins but Yorke was special.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #886 on: March 07, 2021, 03:13:02 PM »
Just to add though what a change to be comparing players to some of our past greats instead of Penrice and Hodge.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #887 on: March 07, 2021, 03:32:07 PM »
That decision to pass to Bert was inexplicable, even to Bert, who was as surprised as the rest of us.

Yeah that was disappointing.

Got one v one against Coady, shifted it onto his right foot and was in the area.....and then just passed to Traore when a defender was right next to him so was always likely to cut it out.

Guess he hadn't scored that type of curling shot for a while so wasn't confident but hints to me at lack of ruthlessness as no way a Kane, Vardy or Salah would pass in that situaiton even if they hadn't scored for a few goals.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #888 on: March 07, 2021, 03:36:16 PM »
He's hit the woodwork 7 times this season, twice in the last 2 games that could have given us 4 points. Really unlucky.

Is it bad luck or is it that his finishing is poor?  10 goals looks impressive and his workrate is phenomenal.   However, the number of big chances he's missed is 11.  A more clinical and ruthless striker would have put more of those chances away.

Most of the woodwork strikes have been from shots outside the box as last night so not like he's missing them in six yard box.

I agree with the wide forward shout. Not full time but can certainly be a plan B option for games v top 6 next season as long as we sign a decent forward in the summer.

I do think he struggles against physical CBs sometimes. Was really tough for him to get into it second half but then we moved him wider for last 10 minutes and he won a couple of corners with his movement and we should've scored the winner from one so something to look at for next season rather than mindset of CF must play centrally for every minute of every game. Spurs have been playing Kane as number 10 hybrid for most of this season for example.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #889 on: March 07, 2021, 03:38:43 PM »
would have 20 goals if it wasn't for the woodwork and dodgy decisions. A very good first top flight first season for Watkins. I really hope when we improve again this summer he's not pushed out wide - he's proved this season he has what it takes to be a top flight striker.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #890 on: March 07, 2021, 04:50:48 PM »
would have 20 goals if it wasn't for the woodwork and dodgy decisions. A very good first top flight first season for Watkins. I really hope when we improve again this summer he's not pushed out wide - he's proved this season he has what it takes to be a top flight striker.

He has had a good season, but I just wonder whether he would be just as effective as a wide forward if we do bring in a real quality striker in the summer.  He does do a lot of good work cutting in from the left, so do wonder if that would be an option.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #891 on: March 07, 2021, 06:06:27 PM »
All his goals have been when Barkley has been playing. That stat is still a little concerning. We need to strengthen in that number 10 position. It would be good to have a centre forward who drops off in addition to an attacking midfielder who can be pushed forward. That would allow us to play a variation of 4-4-2 when teams come to our place and park the bus.

Offline nigel

« Reply #892 on: March 07, 2021, 06:57:57 PM »
I love Watkins but Yorke was special.

Yes, Yorke was special, but not a patch on Gary Shaw.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #893 on: March 07, 2021, 07:00:45 PM »
All his goals have been when Barkley has been playing. That stat is still a little concerning. We need to strengthen in that number 10 position. It would be good to have a centre forward who drops off in addition to an attacking midfielder who can be pushed forward. That would allow us to play a variation of 4-4-2 when teams come to our place and park the bus.
wonder if we need to get someone closer to Watkins when Barkey isn't playing. A central midfielder might be the way to keep getting the best out of Watkins.

Offline nigel

« Reply #894 on: March 07, 2021, 07:02:28 PM »

This is what a couple of guys don’t seem to get. It’s his first season at anywhere near this level.
Scored 10 but could easily have been 15+

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #895 on: March 08, 2021, 02:59:00 PM »
Just saw a stat that out of Europes top 5 Leagues, 65 out of 98 teams as a whole have hit the wordwork 6 or less times over the season.

Watkins on his own has hit it 7 times.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #896 on: March 08, 2021, 03:52:34 PM »
I'd love to see Wesley come good & support Ollie, failing that Tammy back at Villa would do, just pay Abramovich what he wants.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #897 on: March 08, 2021, 04:06:22 PM »
I don’t get the fascination with woodwork struck stats, don’t get me wrong, if it hits the inside and goes adjacent to the goal line you could feel hard done by, but hitting the face of the frame doesn’t mean a great deal.

Like another poster alluded to, sometimes a player can still hit the frame with “poor” finishing.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #898 on: March 08, 2021, 04:21:59 PM »
Really really like him, but he's not clinical enough. I think I'd have him as one of the wider forwards next season in place of Traore who is so hit and miss it's unbelievable.

I agree with that, I think it'd suit his game, and he's a much better all round player than any of our wide players with the obvious exception of Jack. I don't think playing wider would unduly hit his goal return either.

He’s been an inch away from 7 extra goals this season.
When guys say he’s not clinical enough just add that 7 to his tally and see where he is.
I’d go with unlucky rather than not clinical enough

It's poor finishing. It's not some weird twist of fate that on another day would somehow have gone in.

You're right that shot that hit the bar on Saturday was poor. I mean, really, how couldn't he have hit it from that distance and managed to get it to dip by 2 inches. Needs to work on it.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #899 on: March 08, 2021, 04:26:50 PM »
Like another poster alluded to, sometimes a player can still hit the frame with “poor” finishing.

Apart from Ronny Rosenthal I cant think of many other occasions. Was his header against Sheff Utd or his shot against Wolves poor finishing?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal