collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431139 times)

Online N'ZMAV

Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #855 on: February 08, 2021, 06:38:39 PM »
I love the bloke - best all round striker we've had since Yorke.

Better than Benteke? I think he will be in time, not the 'now'  Benteke of course, our version.
Yeah, I think Benteke lacked in some areas Ollie doesn't - like movement and pace. I'm not saying Benteke was poor - he was class for us.

Agreed, although Benteke was better in the air and his all round finishing was stronger too, he usually had a lot less of the ball to work with.
sadly for Benteke - he never played in a good Villa side. He'd have been even better with some decent players around him.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #856 on: February 08, 2021, 06:55:58 PM »
From F365's Winners & Losers section

Ollie Watkins

Boy is he loving life in the Premier League; there aren’t many better sights in the top flight than Watkins’ broad grin that marks another league goal. He’s now on 10 for the season, as many as he managed in his entire debut Championship campaign in 2018/19. It’s easy to forget that Watkins had never played higher than League Two level at the age of 21. Having turned 25 in December, he’s knocking politely on Gareth Southgate’s door.

But Watkins’ impact is only partly demonstrated by the goals he scores. Some lone central strikers wait for service, preferring to conserve energy and drift under the radar of centre-backs before springing into action. He is the opposite, constantly running the channels and harrying defenders into knocking the ball long. He lies second for chances created at Aston Villa and second only to Harry Kane of all centre-forwards in the Premier League.

That workload inevitably saps your energy, and so to Watkins’ greatest asset of all: his consistency of form and fitness. Since the beginning of last season (when still at Brentford), Watkins has played 6,320 of a possible 6,330 league minutes. Being lauded for being on the pitch might feel a little like damning with faint praise, but it shouldn’t. Dean Smith is able to build an attack around Watkins because he’s always there, always giving his all and nearly always making it work.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #857 on: February 09, 2021, 06:01:25 AM »
From F365's Winners & Losers section

Ollie Watkins

Boy is he loving life in the Premier League; there aren’t many better sights in the top flight than Watkins’ broad grin that marks another league goal. He’s now on 10 for the season, as many as he managed in his entire debut Championship campaign in 2018/19. It’s easy to forget that Watkins had never played higher than League Two level at the age of 21. Having turned 25 in December, he’s knocking politely on Gareth Southgate’s door.

But Watkins’ impact is only partly demonstrated by the goals he scores. Some lone central strikers wait for service, preferring to conserve energy and drift under the radar of centre-backs before springing into action. He is the opposite, constantly running the channels and harrying defenders into knocking the ball long. He lies second for chances created at Aston Villa and second only to Harry Kane of all centre-forwards in the Premier League.

That workload inevitably saps your energy, and so to Watkins’ greatest asset of all: his consistency of form and fitness. Since the beginning of last season (when still at Brentford), Watkins has played 6,320 of a possible 6,330 league minutes. Being lauded for being on the pitch might feel a little like damning with faint praise, but it shouldn’t. Dean Smith is able to build an attack around Watkins because he’s always there, always giving his all and nearly always making it work.

What a great write up. Ollie is certainly getting noticed.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #858 on: February 09, 2021, 11:06:30 AM »
He's played 6,320 of the last 6,330 minutes of league football. Great stat.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #859 on: February 09, 2021, 03:14:56 PM »
And I live this

And Watkins said of his new surroundings: "The facilities at Bodymoor Heath are huge. The pool, sauna and everything. They're making an even bigger complex as well. The family came around and we got a tour of Villa Park. I got my mum taking her shoes off saying, 'I want to feel the pitch with my shoes off'. I had my older brother pretending to score and celebrating. Fans would have loved it!

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #860 on: February 11, 2021, 01:02:11 PM »
And I live this

And Watkins said of his new surroundings: "The facilities at Bodymoor Heath are huge. The pool, sauna and everything. They're making an even bigger complex as well. The family came around and we got a tour of Villa Park. I got my mum taking her shoes off saying, 'I want to feel the pitch with my shoes off'. I had my older brother pretending to score and celebrating. Fans would have loved it!
That's fantastic.  Struggling to think of any players in the current Villa squad that I don't like, but Ollie's just great.  Brilliant player, and comes across as a really nice, grounded chap.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #861 on: February 11, 2021, 01:10:01 PM »
And I live this

That's fantastic.  Struggling to think of any players in the current Villa squad that I don't like, but Ollie's just great.  Brilliant player, and comes across as a really nice, grounded chap.

Go back a few years and that statement was the complete opposite - what a fantastic turnaround

Offline Jimsta

• GM : 13.05.2020
« Reply #862 on: March 06, 2021, 07:36:28 PM »
Can someone please tell Watkins that his number 11 on his back doesn't mean you have to hit the woodwork 11 times this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #863 on: March 06, 2021, 07:48:53 PM »
New Dean Saunders.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #864 on: March 06, 2021, 08:43:28 PM »
So unlucky tonight, as mentioned seems to have the “Dean Saunders” woodwork syndrome.

A real lack of quality around him tonight though.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #865 on: March 06, 2021, 09:43:12 PM »
Love his attitude but is a long way from a top level centre forward. Not helped by a lack of support but still makes too many poor decisions on the ball.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #866 on: March 06, 2021, 10:20:18 PM »
Doing pretty bloody well for his first season in the top flight.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #867 on: March 06, 2021, 10:24:30 PM »
That shot would have been a goal of the season contender. Beautiful pace and dip to it, of all the players at the club I thought only El Ghazi had that type of technique. Ironically, the one time he should have shot and didn't, he failed to find Bert.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #868 on: March 06, 2021, 10:54:32 PM »
Really really like him, but he's not clinical enough. I think I'd have him as one of the wider forwards next season in place of Traore who is so hit and miss it's unbelievable.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #869 on: March 06, 2021, 11:00:25 PM »
That decision to pass to Bert was inexplicable, even to Bert, who was as surprised as the rest of us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal