collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:18:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 422356 times)

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #780 on: January 24, 2021, 09:13:34 PM »
He's much more physical than I thought he'd be.

Unless he feels a slight touch in the box, of course.

Yep, actually got annoyed with him yesterday for going down way too easily.  Gave up good potential scoring opportunities trying to cheat.

It looked a soft one

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #781 on: January 24, 2021, 09:16:40 PM »
It works for manure

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #782 on: January 24, 2021, 09:22:15 PM »
Let’s face it he’s becoming the player that we all wished for.

Yeah I love him.

Agreed Percy. Everything just feels 'right'.

Why don't we live together?

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #783 on: January 24, 2021, 09:26:19 PM »
Bit strong.

Possibly.  I love every part of his game other than that.....needs to stay on his feet.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #784 on: January 25, 2021, 04:07:03 AM »
He may need to work on his timing a little. He's on the shoulder so much that he seems to be borderline offside all the time.

Might have got away with it a bit more in the championship perhaps with no VAR. Really shouldn't have been caught offside for the second one yesterday, looking across the line. Same v West Brom. But he is getting in the right positions anyway, something we didn't have at all last season.

I'm a huge fan of his but he does need to work on staying onside.

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #785 on: January 25, 2021, 05:54:02 AM »
I want to see him take his man on a bit more in dribbling situations. It may not be his forte and he can lay it off to someone but on a couple occasions I wanted to see him take his opponent on into the box, doesn’t take much contact these days to ask the question for a pen even if he’s not in a manure shirt.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that I reckon he’s way too hard on himself. All players get frustrated and it’s good to have high expectations, he comes across as the consummate professional but I feel part of his drought may have been to do with dwelling on missed opportunities rather than resetting, being composed to focusing on seizing the next opportunity.

We really have a player though, seriously, Ollie’s been worth every penny and he’s only going to get better in this setup.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #786 on: January 25, 2021, 08:31:19 AM »
Bit strong.

Possibly.  I love every part of his game other than that.....needs to stay on his feet.

Staying on your feet doesn't work. Diving is a direct consequence of fouls only being given if you fall over so falling over with any contact in the box is the right thing to do. It's shit but it works.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #787 on: January 25, 2021, 10:00:00 AM »
His body language after something doesn't come off is like a grumpy schoolkid, either pissed off at those around him or lacking confidence in himself.

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #788 on: January 25, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »
His body language after something doesn't come off is like a grumpy schoolkid, either pissed off at those around him or lacking confidence in himself.

I think it's the latter. After Liverpool, he's scalding himself for not getting a hattrick or four after a 7-2 win. Fine line between being professional and being too hard on oneself. Can't say it's something I'm too worried about, just part of his evolution. He's making others shine with his workrate but there's a cracking finisher in there in time.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #789 on: January 25, 2021, 02:30:14 PM »
He may need to work on his timing a little. He's on the shoulder so much that he seems to be borderline offside all the time.

Might have got away with it a bit more in the championship perhaps with no VAR. Really shouldn't have been caught offside for the second one yesterday, looking across the line. Same v West Brom. But he is getting in the right positions anyway, something we didn't have at all last season.

I'm a huge fan of his but he does need to work on staying onside.

But also I think the others, especially Grealish need to release the ball that little bit quicker.  Ollie sees they have the ball, sees the gap and goes past the defender before the defender has time to adjust his body position to chase him.  Unfortunately if the ball isn't released until a second or two later, he finds that he is offside.  If he waits until he sees the ball is being released then the defender also has time to adjust himself and make the tackle.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #790 on: January 25, 2021, 04:53:45 PM »
But also I think the others, especially Grealish need to release the ball that little bit quicker.  Ollie sees they have the ball, sees the gap and goes past the defender before the defender has time to adjust his body position to chase him.  Unfortunately if the ball isn't released until a second or two later, he finds that he is offside.  If he waits until he sees the ball is being released then the defender also has time to adjust himself and make the tackle.
There's some truth in this, Fred.
I think he may struggle against the physicality of Tarkowski and Mee on Wednesday: a good test for him (hope he survives!). Perhaps it's time to put Davis up front (to draw the 2 Burnley CB) and play Watkins in a wide role? - just a thought. Won't happen!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #791 on: January 26, 2021, 09:43:34 AM »
I think he may struggle against the physicality of Tarkowski and Mee on Wednesday: a good test for him (hope he survives!). Perhaps it's time to put Davis up front (to draw the 2 Burnley CB) and play Watkins in a wide role? - just a thought. Won't happen!

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #792 on: January 26, 2021, 09:57:22 AM »

I concur. Why on earth would we want Davis starting?!

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #793 on: January 26, 2021, 11:48:20 AM »
I concur. Why on earth would we want Davis starting?!
Yeah, I know.

Just thinking about the physicality of the Burnley CB and giving Watkins a more fluid role. I don't want him getting 'done' as Wesley was.
It was a crazy idea ...
... I'll have to review my medication.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #794 on: January 26, 2021, 11:57:00 AM »
I'd say Davis is far more likely to end up injured than Ollie is, given that he seems to pull a muscle just lacing up his boots.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal