collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ollie Watkins  (Read 431127 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England)
« Reply #675 on: December 28, 2020, 02:08:37 PM »
I also wonder how we will keep it up as the season goes along. The work rate, the pressing, from the whole team, is phenomenal to watch. But Deano also seems not to want to fix what ain’t broken by using subs, and the lack of squad rotation  so far - surely must take it’s toll at some point?

The only time I've thought we looked a bit leggy was the Brighton game after the last international break, as though being away from their regular routine had taken its toll. If anything, we've looked like we're getting fitter and our stamina levels have been increasing ever since then. They're fit young lads, they'll cope.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #676 on: December 28, 2020, 02:13:24 PM »
I also wonder how we will keep it up as the season goes along. The work rate, the pressing, from the whole team, is phenomenal to watch. But Deano also seems not to want to fix what ain’t broken by using subs, and the lack of squad rotation  so far - surely must take it’s toll at some point?

Once we get past January it's really only one game a week for the most part.  Not like we have any European or League Cup games to worry about.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #677 on: December 30, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
Happy birthday Ollie 25 today, let's hope he has a belated present with the winner on Friday.

Offline Clive W

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #679 on: December 31, 2020, 06:01:01 PM »
It's behind a pay wall. Can you copy and paste it?

Offline Clive W

« Reply #680 on: December 31, 2020, 06:05:01 PM »
It's behind a pay wall. Can you copy and paste it?
I’ll try but not very good at this sort of thing

Offline Clive W

« Reply #681 on: December 31, 2020, 06:07:32 PM »
When a £28 million record signing is a forward and has gone seven games without a goal there could be some scrutiny and even concern, but Ollie Watkins’ impact at Aston Villa cannot be overestimated.

Watkins is Dean Smith’s running man, the relentless chaser of lost causes who defends from the front and never gives Premier League centre-backs a peaceful moment.

His heat maps after games are likely to be radioactive with the amount of charging around the final third he produces, eating up the kilometres as the central figure in an attacking front three.

Since that record move from Brentford, where he scored 26 goals last season, Watkins has set the tone for one of this season’s surprise packages.

“Ollie has a hunger to score goals, which is what I love about him. He also has a hunger to improve and keep getting better and what you see on a match-day is what you see on the training ground,” said Smith, the Villa head coach.

Advertisement

“He has an infectious attitude that rubs off on others. I think it’s the all-round athleticism as well. Some of the numbers he produces with his running stats are incredible.”

Watkins may have experienced frustration in recent weeks, most notably in the 3-0 win over Crystal Palace on Boxing Day, but does have eight goals already this season.

Watkins introduced himself to the Premier League with a first-half hat-trick against Liverpool in October
Watkins introduced himself to the Premier League with a first-half hat-trick against Liverpool in October CREDIT: RICHARD PELHAM
Three of them came in that remarkable 7-2 demolition of champions Liverpool, while he will also remember with fondness the two goals against Arsenal, the team he supported as a kid.

Watkins still has the time to challenge European Cup-winner Peter Withe as the last Villa forward to score 20 in a top-flight campaign.

But the 25 year old has clearly shown he has more to offer than just goals. He regularly studies video clips of opposing defenders to work out potential weaknesses or areas of their game he can capitalise on.

Before the win over Liverpool he watched videos of Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez, with assistant coach Richard O'Kelly, and that dedication is being rewarded. Pace remains one of the biggest fears for defenders.

Against Palace, Watkins also provided assists for all the three goals and has established a fine understanding with captain Jack Grealish.

With Palace’s defenders tiring towards the end, and Watkins in pursuit of a goal, he produced a clever run behind the centre-halves and was found by Grealish: only to strike the post.

Smith points to those moments, when Watkins is still getting himself into the danger areas, as evidence that the goals will return soon.

Manchester United will be the latest team to experience the lung-bursting approach of Watkins on Friday night, yet these energetic performances are nothing new.

At Brentford, Watkins’ running statistics were also through the roof and defender Pontus Jansson delivered an excellent assessment after the play-off semi-final against Swansea.

"It was one of the best defensive performances from a striker I have ever seen. I know how much he ran, it was just unbelievable,” he said.

“To see his numbers on the GPS afterwards, there was almost fire on it. When Ollie has a good game defensively we always defend well as a team as well."

Last season’s Championship Player of the Year, Watkins has made the step up appear easy. Many other clubs were interested over the summer, including Tottenham, Palace, Sheffield United and West Brom, but the transfer fee demanded by Brentford - which will eventually rise to £33 million - scared them off.

It was also perhaps inevitable that Watkins would join Villa, after signing for Brentford when Smith was in charge. Smith tells an amusing story about how he once bought Watkins a fish-tank as a “moving in present”, and they have always had a close relationship.

During this period without a goal, Smith has moved quickly after matches to offer his support and underline his importance to the team.

Villa, and Watkins, face United on New Year’s Day fifth in the table and on a tidal wave of momentum after an unbeaten December, with Smith’s squad winning admirers with their attack-minded approach.

This season they have won at Arsenal, Leicester and Wolves, while drawing at Chelsea on Monday, so a trip to Old Trafford will not represent the daunting prospect it might have done last season.

Villa drew 2-2 at United last December, with Grealish adding another spectacular goal to his collection, and Smith insists his team will approach the game full of confidence.

“We were more fearful of these fixtures last season because of the newness of actually getting into the Premier League,” he said. “This season we know where we're at.

“We can go and compete with the best in this league. We're excited about the opportunities and we'll be ready for them. These are the games they want to play in and look forward to.

“We had a good result there last season and we feel we're in a better place now.”