collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Women 2020-21  (Read 48132 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Aston Villa Women 2020-21
« Reply #210 on: January 17, 2021, 07:50:42 PM »
Fair play Bully Wee for encouraging the women's game, hopefully the standard will improve as more funding is put into it and young girls are encouraged to take it up and given similar help to boys when it comes to resources and coaching.  Will likely take at least a decade for that to show through at senior/pro level I guess.

I suppose the Beeb need to be seen to cover the sport not just in a lip service way (have seen comments from bloke football fans moaning about the football page being mixed with stories of both male and female football - "Why can't they have their own fcuking page so I can skip that content?" etc. ) Without giving increased content and coverage, traditional attitudes will never change. Just means there is somewhat of a painpoint now when in a high % of game highlights, you see a comedy blooper bit of defending.

Interesting to hear about the US Female National Team and their continued fight for pay parity with their male counterparts. Serious question, as I don't watch it, but do the US women's team play at a noticeably higher level compared to other countries?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #211 on: January 17, 2021, 07:53:44 PM »
Not sure why certain people feel the need to keep posting here to tell us how much they don't like it. I don't post on the cycling or jazz threads.

We can virtually never have a chat about how Villa Women are getting on without one or two posters banging on about how bad women's football is. It's tedious as fuck.

Indeed, we wouldn't want to go off the topic of women's football on here so someone can repeat how dreadful they think something is. That would be tedious.

Woeful. Defending with all the intensity of an American police officer "trying" to stop a bunch of Nazis entering Congress.

Poor taste that considering one died trying to do it, one black officer heroically lead protestors after him on his own and away from a door where many Congressmen were hiding and all the footage clearly shows officers out numbered and having 7 bells knocked out of them.

LOL.

It's Mr Jizzinhispants at the merest mention of conflict here to tell us that the Far Right racist police who did fuck all to stop a Far Right racist protest, causing some of their colleagues to die, should be above mockery.

Still, if you want to take offence at an offhand remark, you might want to stop with your "Drink The Kool-Aid" references, Boris Boy.

Does that come in English, because I'm lost.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #212 on: January 17, 2021, 07:55:32 PM »
I think they do. The college system doesn't compete financially with what, say, Manchester City or Barcelona spend on their men's academies. But it is streets ahead of the spending anyone else commits to women's football so, unsurprisingly, they are generally much better than anyone else.

A curiosity of their team is that, until quite recently, they hardly seem to play any club football. There are players with 200 caps who have played fewer than fifty league games.

So, as well as being the best funded, they are the best coached and most used to playing with each other. Basically a glorified club side.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #213 on: January 17, 2021, 07:59:01 PM »
It’s rubbish though.  I’ve no interest whatsoever.  What was the score?!

Developments in the game were not necessarily to our advantage, just put it that way.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #214 on: January 17, 2021, 08:16:15 PM »
There are certain aspects of the Women's game that tells it apart.  Poor heading, goalkeepers seems to be like Nyland  good shot stoppers but unable to move from their line and the general physicality of defences.

When watching womens International football the stand out thing for me is the poor quality of the goalkeeping.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #215 on: January 17, 2021, 08:43:25 PM »
I've given up an awful lot of my free time over the last few years to facilitate girls football because I believe that team sports helps develop young kids in many ways. That said I do beleive that the pro game needs a lot of thought, the top few sides are miles ahead of everyone else, its iike shooting fish.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2021, 08:56:01 PM »
There are certain aspects of the Women's game that tells it apart.  Poor heading, goalkeepers seems to be like Nyland  good shot stoppers but unable to move from their line and the general physicality of defences.

When watching womens International football the stand out thing for me is the poor quality of the goalkeeping.

I think that might be because when you’re a boy & not very good at football, you play in goal and maybe gradually get better at it, but when you’re a girl and not very good at football, you just don’t play.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2021, 08:59:34 PM »
I think that might be because when you’re a boy & not very good at football, you play in goal and maybe gradually get better at it, but when you’re a girl and not very good at football, you just don’t play.

I think we might need to send Emi round to your house to have a quiet word with you. ;)

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2021, 09:03:04 PM »

There are many, many opportunites for girls to play whatever their age or talent. The funding from the FA for girls grassroots football has been decent.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2021, 09:08:47 PM »
So the funding is there but it will take some time, no one should compare it with the mens game. its miles away.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2021, 10:31:12 PM »
I very rarely watch women's football but I had a quick look at the highlights from today's game earlier.

The thing that struck me was not that they were technically less gifted, or that they were apparently lacking in physicality, but more the way that the defence just looked like they couldn't be arsed!

I don't think I saw a single defender throw themselves at the ball when it was clear that the striker was about to shoot and the goal we conceded where our defender gave up running whilst appealing for offside was pathetic.

There's zero difference in the sexes when it comes to commitment so I'm not sure why our ladies looked so "meh" to what was going on around them.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2021, 11:08:41 PM »
I watch the highlights usually after MOTD 2.

There is huge gulf in woman's game, far bigger chasm between top and bottom than what we have in mens game and that is pretty vast nowadays.

At least only one team goes down otherwise we'd really struggle to stay in WSL. It's similar to last season, just scrape survival and try to build from there as teams like West Ham have been in the league for a few years and they're still struggling near the bottom, same for Spurs.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2021, 11:11:24 PM »
Womens football is better being compared to rugby or cricket than the mens game. There is some quality but only enough to fill a handful of teams. Man City are one of those teams an when you add to that how early we are in our development results like today are going to happen.

Adding that breadth of quality isn't a quick process, left to happen naturally it could be 20-30 years. By over-exposing it they're trying to speed that up and improve the standards much faster. If 'you' aren't interested until it's further along then just ignore it and move on.

For me what really sets the womens game back is the weight of passing. In the mens game most teams in the top leagues are happy pinging passes around where the recipient has to be able to control it, in womens games the ball is often almost still by the time it gets to them, which makes it very slow by comparison. The top teams are already starting to change this though so it's clearly something that will phase out over the next few years.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2021, 11:23:29 PM »
Without wishing to appear sexist, why don't they make the pitches and goals a bit smaller? The goalies are made to look even worse by the fact that most of them seem to be about 5'6".  Most male keepers are a foot taller than that, and 6'1" would be considered too small for a bloke in today's game. Women play fewer sets in tennis and they use mostly use shorter, lighter clubs in golf, as examples of sports making changes to suit the fact that women on average are smaller than men.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2021, 11:28:13 PM »
A good point, kids football has moved to smaller pitches and goals based on the kids growing age amd physical development. I guess that its a brave administrator who suggests that fully developed women shouldnt have equality on the field in terms of pitch size etc?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal