collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matty Cash - signed  (Read 83811 times)

richtheholtender

Re: Matty Cash - signed
« Reply #540 on: April 13, 2021, 08:07:03 AM »
I seem to remember in that Liverpool game their international full back and world class centre half being turned over on average every 3 minutes. I wonder if Rich is a little confused on the full back in question.

There’s a reason you describe them as “international” and “world class” because they’re consistently very good with the odd bad game and not the other way round that we see so regularly with Matty “Penalty” Cash

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #541 on: April 13, 2021, 08:59:00 AM »
Cash? - first season in.
Like Traore, Ramsey and Sanson, I'm sure that he will be a better, more accomplished player next season. If Freddie and / or Hayden are there too, so much the better.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:11:35 AM by Mister E »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #542 on: April 13, 2021, 09:07:09 AM »
He's given away two penalties, one a very harsh handball at Man City and the other straight back from injury where it was very suspect from England's honest captain. Hardly a walking disaster.

I rate Freddie and I rate Cash. Cash is better defensively and he has much better defensive stats as the right back in the 3rd best defence in the league, compared to the right back in the best defence in the league. We clearly get called on to defend more than Man City, but that extra and prolonged pressure only adds weight to how well Cash has done in his 2nd season as a right back and first in the Premier League.

Cash is a good player. Your comments about rather giving up 10 chances to 2 are bizarre. Those 2 chances lead to 2 goals. Why would you want to gift the opposition 8 more chances to score? Freddie was frequently prone to some odd decision making himself. Away at Southampton being a prime example.

Targett has been excellent this season, but has more bookings than Cash, less cleances, successful tackles, fewer shots and assists, despite playing on Jack's side of the park.

We have a pair of good full backs.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #543 on: April 13, 2021, 09:31:30 AM »
This thread has taken an odd turn.  I'd agree some of the praise for Cash was a bit much, I thought he was more solid than spectacular but for me it's been a really good first season in the PL.  I was maybe hoping for more going forward given he used to play wing / mid, but even so he played a big part in our great form pre Christmas.

I quite like Freddie and felt we were maybe spending money on the wrong position with Cash, but in hindsight I think it was a great deal and expect him to be a good player for us for a few years to come.

This latest batch of critisism seems really strange to me.  There's a few reasons why we've been very poor since Christmas, but I don't think Cash is one of them.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #544 on: April 13, 2021, 09:32:16 AM »
I dont understand how anybody can say we got turned over at full back against Liverpool at home and expect to be taken seriously. They had 4 attempts of note, 2 they scored from. Both goals came from the left hand side of defence and Jota had a decent ish attempt that was well saved by Martinez in the first half that came from the right.

Cash has given away less free kicks than Guilbert and is part of a much better defence. I like the fact he enjoys to lay a glove on opposition.

Polemicsts on the march is the only explanation. Cash has been a good signing and is part of a very good defensive unit.

I’d rather have Guilbert giving away 10 free kicks a game than Matty Cash giving away 1 a game..... that is consistently in our own box!!! There’s the palace one as well which was a blatant penalty which if given at the time might have been a game changer.

How many games have we played and how many penalties has Cash conceded?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #545 on: April 13, 2021, 09:34:48 AM »
Unpopular opinion as I genuinly like him, but I dont think he's any better than Guilbert.

Agreed. I’ve expressed my opinions on him before. I am not accepting from anyone that he unseeded to leave that ball today because he knew he was offside. Personally, I think he continues to be a liability in defence. Another unpopular opinion.

He's absolutely not a liability.

It's crazy talk, he's an outstanding player.

The hand ball that he should have been sent off for against Southampton at home. Destroyed by Liverpool at home, Leeds at home, the penalty v man united away, the penalty that should have been v Southampton away got away with v Liverpool the other day to name but a few. There’s six games without even having time to think. When you factor in that he’s missed a few games few injury, he’s probably only played a 26 game season. Even without our incidents being taken in to consideration that’s 1 in 4 cock ups or bad games. He is absolutely a defensively liability. When you factor in as well that he hasn’t scored goals where Guilbert scored at least twice last season, so he offers nothing going forward, I really don’t see what all the fuss is about. I’d rather us have signed a striker to be honest.

Are you sure we’re talking about the same ‘Cash’? I could see your point if it was Brexit twat MP Bill Cash, or the Ghostrider in the Sky himself, Johnny Cash.

Offline Daley’s dreads

« Reply #546 on: April 13, 2021, 09:44:29 AM »
Yeah I thought he was given bit too much praise at times. He’s been solid and seems a great lad with super energy. However, was also expecting a bit more going forward. Good signing though and hopefully will continue to improve. Targett been the better full back for me though.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #547 on: April 13, 2021, 09:45:55 AM »
Guilbert is an awful fullback, he has no idea what position to be in and pays no attention to runners. I can't believe some people are negatively comparing Cash to Guilbert. It's nearly as mad as the Grealish Agbonlahor comparison.

He looks much better than Targett did last season. A full season under his belt, which has been very solid defensively indeed and we could have a really really good player on our hands.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #548 on: April 13, 2021, 10:00:11 AM »
About this talk of him not getting forward enough, I suspect he'd been told not to venture too far forward, hence our stronger defensive performances. And probably why it can appear that whoever is playing on the wing isn't doing enough too.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #549 on: April 13, 2021, 12:25:53 PM »
About this talk of him not getting forward enough, I suspect he'd been told not to venture too far forward, hence our stronger defensive performances. And probably why it can appear that whoever is playing on the wing isn't doing enough too.

When Jack was fit, there was no better left side in the Premier league than Grealish and Targett in tandem. Exactly the right blend of ability, work rate and defensive graft. The problem with the right side is that Targett is newer to the league, and while he's been very good, he doesn't have a consistent performer in front of him, either defemsively or in attacking sense. Sort a proper right sided player and Cash will look even better. It's why I'd like to see Ollie given a go there with Davis up front.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #550 on: April 13, 2021, 03:29:53 PM »

When Jack was fit, there was no better left side in the Premier league than Grealish and Targett in tandem. Exactly the right blend of ability, work rate and defensive graft. The problem with the right side is that Targett is newer to the league, and while he's been very good, he doesn't have a consistent performer in front of him, either defemsively or in attacking sense. Sort a proper right sided player and Cash will look even better. It's why I'd like to see Ollie given a go there with Davis up front.

I think this post should be framed. Risso calling for Davis up front.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #551 on: April 13, 2021, 03:43:03 PM »

I think this post should be framed. Risso calling for Davis up front.

He's saying what I've been saying for weeks. I wouldn't advocate for Davis if we needed a goal. But given we have become very predictable he allows us to play another way. Either two up front or what I prefer Watkins outside him on the left where he knows how to play that role. If we bought say Tammy in the summer I would play that same system with Grealish behind. Watkins doesn't have to be wide left but left of the central striker where he can cut in and score (see Liverpool and Arsenal away goals)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #552 on: April 13, 2021, 03:52:40 PM »
I rate Davis, but it's worth a go anyway as there's a couple of spots each game taken by someone not performing, and this is made worse by Trez getting nobbled, as at least he was one that could cover the ground and help you keep some shape.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #553 on: April 13, 2021, 04:07:13 PM »
I’m up for this idea too. It’s worth a go while with Jack, Trez being injured.  It may not last long as Davis will be bound to be joining them on the treatment table before too long.

richtheholtender

« Reply #554 on: April 13, 2021, 04:38:21 PM »
He's given away two penalties, one a very harsh handball at Man City and the other straight back from injury where it was very suspect from England's honest captain. Hardly a walking disaster.

I rate Freddie and I rate Cash. Cash is better defensively and he has much better defensive stats as the right back in the 3rd best defence in the league, compared to the right back in the best defence in the league. We clearly get called on to defend more than Man City, but that extra and prolonged pressure only adds weight to how well Cash has done in his 2nd season as a right back and first in the Premier League.

Cash is a good player. Your comments about rather giving up 10 chances to 2 are bizarre. Those 2 chances lead to 2 goals. Why would you want to gift the opposition 8 more chances to score? Freddie was frequently prone to some odd decision making himself. Away at Southampton being a prime example.

Targett has been excellent this season, but has more bookings than Cash, less cleances, successful tackles, fewer shots and assists, despite playing on Jack's side of the park.

We have a pair of good full backs.

I hadn’t even thought about the Man City one. Another to add to his glowing collection.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal