collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
November 23, 2020, 04:23:08 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 193 | Comments: 1

These days a ten year old is l...
November 20, 2020, 12:28:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 417 | Comments: 3

In the euphoria of the resumpt...
November 18, 2020, 11:57:57 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 390 | Comments: 2

By Christmas 1936 those who ex...
November 05, 2020, 12:10:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1140 | Comments: 8

This weekend sees the thirtiet...
October 28, 2020, 02:06:34 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1017 | Comments: 8

[url=https://ibb.c...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sky Sports  (Read 5562 times)

Online Daley’s dreads

Re: Sky Sports
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2020, 11:27:34 AM »
Yeah, I thought Sherwood was decent.

Regarding Sky presenters, I quite like Morrison I have to say. Thought Higginbotham was very knowledgeable last night and whoever it was alongside him was good as well.

Martin Tyler seems past it now. Annoyed me with his Leeds love in against Liverpool as well.
But no one beats the number one Villa fan - Gary Neville!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »
Yeah, I thought Sherwood was decent.

Regarding Sky presenters, I quite like Morrison I have to say. Thought Higginbotham was very knowledgeable last night and whoever it was alongside him was good as well.

Martin Tyler seems past it now. Annoyed me with his Leeds love in against Liverpool as well.
But no one beats the number one Villa fan - Gary Neville!

Whether or not you rate Sherwood as a manager he can certainly talk a good game.

Online Gary Penrice

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2020, 08:54:16 PM »
If I was Jeff Stelling I'd knock it on the head & just leave Sky to it! It was the go to show for years if Villa weren't playing but its just going to be so predictable & boring now!

No great loss to be fair!

Online Nev

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2020, 09:55:49 PM »
We were talking about this in the pub and were pretty much in agreement that you watch the programme to find out the scores, the pundits are relatively inconsequential.

A big fuss about nothing.

Online Rory Christopher

• GM : PCM
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2020, 10:07:20 PM »
We were talking about this in the pub and were pretty much in agreement that you watch the programme to find out the scores, the pundits are relatively inconsequential.

True, but I guess we all have our favourites. I like Lawrenson, Crooks, Keown - all the bad ones that nobody else seems to like. I find them much more entertaining.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2020, 10:12:53 PM »

True, but I guess we all have our favourites. I like Lawrenson, Crooks, Keown - all the bad ones that nobody else seems to like. I find them much more entertaining.

Garth Crooks doesn't half bang on. He was interviewing someone once and I reckon he should have contacted the Guinness Book Of Records because I am convinced he asked the longest question ever asked.

Online Rory Christopher

• GM : PCM
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2020, 10:22:47 PM »

Garth Crooks doesn't half bang on. He was interviewing someone once and I reckon he should have contacted the Guinness Book Of Records because I am convinced he asked the longest question ever asked.

Yep, I love stuff like that. I'm also a big fan of him interrupting and shouting over people.

Online Somniloquism

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2020, 08:46:23 AM »

Taking this on from the other thread about Richard Keys and him digging at Jeff, I find out it a whole lot better watching it when he is presenting it. Yes, the stats men make him seem really knowledgeable but you also need a naturalness and the silly jokes and banter is all him. No one else comes close.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 06.11.2020
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2020, 08:51:54 AM »
One of my biggest regrets is that many years ago I was on holiday in a row of 3 houses on a remote property in Normandy. Jeff, his wife and eldest son
arrived next door. Instead of spending my evenings drinking wine & chatting to him I was in bed with pneumonia.

Online Nev

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2020, 12:51:47 PM »

Taking this on from the other thread about Richard Keys and him digging at Jeff, I find out it a whole lot better watching it when he is presenting it. Yes, the stats men make him seem really knowledgeable but you also need a naturalness and the silly jokes and banter is all him. No one else comes close.

He's brilliant but as good as he is I still watch when the "Happy Shopper Stelling" is on midweek if I want to find out how Villa are doing.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2020, 01:08:35 PM »
They're wheeling out Gabby again to talk about us/ Grealish.

Fair play, he can't be as daft as he looks and sounds, getting all these high paying gigs.

Wonder what the thought process at Sky is in getting him on.

"Ex Villa. He'll do."     

Offline danno

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2020, 01:12:36 PM »
Deary me, they're grasping for content aren't they?

Are they going to go back to offering John McGinn/James Maddison/Harry Kane to Man United instead?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »

I read a couple of great interviews with him.  Believe it or not but he does most of his stats research himself on a Wednesday and Thursday at a services in Winchester close to where he lives!

I loved these two excerpts from the recent interview.

“But I always have an eye for little curiosities. Swindon have just signed three players called Smith: Tyler Smith, Jonny Smith, somebody else Smith. They’ve already got Sam Smith on their books. Stirling Albion once had four players called Smith. Chris Smith, Gordon Smith, Darren Smith and Darren L Smith. When they were relegated, I said: ‘Heaven knows they’re miserable now.’”

But you have to do it. Think of Jelleyman [in one of Stelling’s most memorable moments on Soccer Saturday he said, ‘Gareth Jelleyman has been sent off. Let’s hope he hasn’t thrown a wobbly!’] My research told that me Jelleyman had never been sent off. That kind of stat excites me. Then, on the day he finally got a red card I delivered the line.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 06.07.2021
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 03:09:33 PM »
he does most of his stats research himself on a Wednesday and Thursday at a services in Winchester close to where he lives!

That reads like it has come straight from an Alan Partridge script.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 02.03.2021
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2020, 03:11:46 PM »
I like Lawrenson, Crooks, Keown - all the bad ones that nobody else seems to like. I find them much more entertaining.

About that dinner party.....I've just checked my diary and it appears I've another social engagement that night. Sorry!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal