collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Martin O'Neill: Ten years on  (Read 15383 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Martin O'Neill: Ten years on
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 11:39:22 AM »
Sure its been posted here before, but this says so much about O'Neill and his dislike for those who dare to challenge him

https://youtu.be/p9kjjOAqg0w

My God! I've never seen that but what a twat he made himself look.

Twats have a habit of doing that.

I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 12:09:37 PM »
Its the wild look in his eyes.  First he tries to fob off the interviewer with a humorous quip, and then the realisation hits that this man is actually daring to challenge Saint Martin.  You wonder if he was like this when Kendrick penned that seven deadly sins article after the Chelsea 7-1 debacle.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2020, 12:23:07 PM »
He did have a habit of being argumentative and belittling in interviews and also when he was doing TV punditry.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2020, 12:36:23 PM »
I will continue to hold favourable memories of MON and liked his personality quirks. The team he built was the best seen at Villa Park over the past 20 odd years and while we may say that he should have done better with the money, many managers have done worse in similar circumstances. It was strange that he left after our best season, but it was a failure not to get top 4 or win a trophy that year. His failing was not to know how to use a squad and he was reliant on keeping with a core of players that would fight for him, but as the season went on run out of steam. Also although he left in a poor way, this should really have resulted only in a difficult season or two, as we still had a good squad and players like Milner and Young that could be sold for significant funds to rebuild. The subsequent decline and relegation is down to Lerner.  Whilst we are quoting Dave W I remember during the euphoria of MON being appointed he questionned whether this motivational manager was the right person considering we had just landed a rich owner with a large transfer fund.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2020, 12:38:57 PM »
He did have a habit of being argumentative and belittling in interviews and also when he was doing TV punditry.

He does always give off the air of someone who thinks they're the smartest person in the room. Which is one thing when he is in fact the smartest person in the room, quite another when he's not, as BC's linked video perfectly illustrates. In both scenarios, he's still a reprehensible prick.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »
Without adding the big quote above, I did at the time he was appointed say that he was top six but wouldn't be top four. There was a lot of euphoria around then, though, and for three years we were all caught up in it.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2020, 01:33:03 PM »

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2020, 07:18:49 PM »
Without adding the big quote above, I did at the time he was appointed say that he was top six but wouldn't be top four. There was a lot of euphoria around then, though, and for three years we were all caught up in it.

The receipts are here somewhere on this website.  I would say I was caught up in it for 12-18 months, but I soon saw through him.   The reporter in the clip above had it spot on when he talked about negative tactics and waiting for the other team to make a mistake.  We won so many games by pace and counter-attack especially away from home, made for some dull times during home games.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2020, 09:43:52 PM »

The receipts are here somewhere on this website.  I would say I was caught up in it for 12-18 months, but I soon saw through him.   The reporter in the clip above had it spot on when he talked about negative tactics and waiting for the other team to make a mistake.  We won so many games by pace and counter-attack especially away from home, made for some dull times during home games.

I think MON's counter attack philosophy came from his days at Forest under Clough & Taylor when they won the title, two League cups and two European cups playing that way even at home.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2020, 11:51:29 PM »

Ripping the piss out of Robbie Williams was a highlight, to be fair.

Not sure why there's a laugh track over it.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 01:39:39 PM »
Should we have not taken our time a bit longer in 10/11?

Seems the club were going to give McDonald the job full time until the freak 6-0 at Newcastle happened then they backtracked. He could've still stayed as caretaker for a few more weeks as usually by October/November decent managers become available for several reasons.

I just never got the Houllier appointment. Too old, not involved in football management since 2007 and not the type I was expecting to follow someone who'd just finished 6th three seasons running. Add in a dodgy ticker and it was the first warning sign to me Lerner and co didn't really have much clue. Six months later and we're appointing McLeish and practically giving up on being a top level team.

MON walking out when he did was horrible but we should've held our nerve. Put out a big statement saying McDonald would be in charge until a world class manager become available during the season and fans should temper their expectations for the season a bit as there was a bizarre demand still to try to get a top 4 finish that season IIRC.

Ride out the following six months and I can't believe it would've gone as south as it did for the next five years. We still had plenty of good players in the squad.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2020, 02:04:50 PM »

I think this is actually fair enough, the question was more than a bit twattish itself so he was entitled to defend himself with a touch of steel.

In the broad sweep I was very supportive at first, the happiest of clappers, and desperate to believe that he was going to change style to suit our increasing ambitions, but did a 180 later as that was never going to happen. DW's remark about him being top 6 but not top 4 was scarily exact in the end, and his and Lerner's time in charge has to be regarded as a massive blown opportunity, and one which had repercussions for us a bit like the Ridsdale-DOL era did for Leeds.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2020, 02:14:47 PM »

I think this is actually fair enough, the question was more than a bit twattish itself so he was entitled to defend himself with a touch of steel.

In the broad sweep I was very supportive at first, the happiest of clappers, and desperate to believe that he was going to change style to suit our increasing ambitions, but did a 180 later as that was never going to happen. DW's remark about him being top 6 but not top 4 was scarily exact in the end, and his and Lerner's time in charge has to be regarded as a massive blown opportunity, and one which had repercussions for us a bit like the Ridsdale-DOL era did for Leeds.

Well, no. He was being asked in the context of his tactics as an Ireland manager, which were widely criticised during his time in the job.

Whatever you may think about the tone of the journalist's question, O'Neill wasn't being asked about his career as a player and wasn't invited to talk about all his past glories and trophies (is he talking about Scottish competitions and English League Cups?) as a manager.

"I was involved in a UEFA final" - eh, okay. In 2003 - and not victorious. A strange thing to bring up, particularly as the killing blow of his rebuttal.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2020, 02:17:12 PM »
Sure, but he could have asked 'do you think your tactics are working' or some such thing, rather than the obviously needling emphasis on luck.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2020, 02:31:00 PM »
Sure, but he could have asked 'do you think your tactics are working' or some such thing, rather than the obviously needling emphasis on luck.

He'd already been asked that about a thousand times already by various journalists over his 5 year tenure as Ireland manager, that's the problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal