collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The first time I saw Brentford  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: The first time I saw Brentford
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 06:26:51 PM »
As a Fulham fan I probably know more brentford than you boys, about 30 years ago our local derbies were brentford, Barnet and Leyton orient, before al fayed came into rescue us, I thing if brentford had won last night they would have probably been the new Bournemouth, they probably do now what they do best, sell one or two of there big guns recruit again from lower leagues and unknown foreign players that are probably the next season’s Watkins and Benrahma, I do think think that they probably they’ve blown there best chance ever,

A Fulham fan I know down here says you can tell how well Fulham are doing by the team he dislikes the most. At various points in the last 20 years it has been Chelsea, QPR and Brentford. Deep down, he admits it is always Chelsea. Bizarrely he also hates Gillingham.

As an aside, re a comment in the original article in this thread, I was told that Brentford are not called the Bees because of their old yellow and black kit but instead it was related to some fans or journalists calling them B or the B's. I'll ask him next time I see him.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 06:51:48 PM »
"The club's nickname, "The Bees" was coined around 1893 by students from the Borough Road College who started attending matches and whose rallying cry, "Buck up Bs" was taken by spectators as "Buck up Bees." This was taken up by the local press and within a short time, the name had stuck."

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Brentford/Brentford.htm

They certainly don't ever seem to have played in any apian colours.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 07:20:41 PM »
I wonder if there was ever any awareness of the Brentford nickname when the Birmingham Speedway Team became established at Perry Barr.  Colours red and yellow.  The Birmingham Bs.  Great times watching Dougie Warren.  Straight from Villa Park to the Saturday Speedway.

Offline Londonfranky

• GM : 27.12.2021
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 07:22:35 PM »
As a Fulham fan I probably know more brentford than you boys, about 30 years ago our local derbies were brentford, Barnet and Leyton orient, before al fayed came into rescue us, I thing if brentford had won last night they would have probably been the new Bournemouth, they probably do now what they do best, sell one or two of there big guns recruit again from lower leagues and unknown foreign players that are probably the next season’s Watkins and Benrahma, I do think think that they probably they’ve blown there best chance ever,

A Fulham fan I know down here says you can tell how well Fulham are doing by the team he dislikes the most. At various points in the last 20 years it has been Chelsea, QPR and Brentford. Deep down, he admits it is always Chelsea. Bizarrely he also hates Gillingham.

As an aside, re a comment in the original article in this thread, I was told that Brentford are not called the Bees because of their old yellow and black kit but instead it was related to some fans or journalists calling them B or the B's. I'll ask him next time I see him.
i think the reason your mate hates Gillingham because about 25 years ago a Fulham fan was murdered in Gillingham at a game

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 09:57:48 PM »
"The club's nickname, "The Bees" was coined around 1893 by students from the Borough Road College who started attending matches and whose rallying cry, "Buck up Bs" was taken by spectators as "Buck up Bees." This was taken up by the local press and within a short time, the name had stuck."

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Brentford/Brentford.htm

They certainly don't ever seem to have played in any apian colours.

Cheers cd.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »

i think the reason your mate hates Gillingham because about 25 years ago a Fulham fan was murdered in Gillingham at a game

Cheers Franky. That rings a very vague bell.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 10:00:27 PM »
Fair to say you know more about Brentfird than me Franky. I have never met one in my life (although I did like 'People Just Nothing).

Thought your defence kept them pretty quiet until the last few minutes. In particular, it is the worst I've seen Benrahma play.

Onomah seems to have turned into a much improved player with you lot.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 10:05:19 PM »
"murdered" is a bit strong imo.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 05:18:28 AM »
I wonder if there was ever any awareness of the Brentford nickname when the Birmingham Speedway Team became established at Perry Barr.  Colours red and yellow.  The Birmingham Bs.  Great times watching Dougie Warren.  Straight from Villa Park to the Saturday Speedway.
wasnt it Cov Bees in the speedway Brian? Went to see them a few times when they had Ole Olsen. Stock car racing at half time too. Ace!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2020, 09:59:07 PM »
You are quite right robbo.  My bad.  Birmingham speedway at Perry Barr morphed into Birmingham Brummies.  The team at Hall Green dog track was the Birmingham Bulldogs.  Lots of letter Bs.  Coventry were the Bees and it was Graham Warren not Dougie.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 11:07:10 PM »
funny looking back, my best mate’s dad used to take us to Villa  and the speedway. Top fella, big Steve.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal