collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands  (Read 19427 times)

Offline Deano's Mullet

Re: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2020, 12:09:08 PM »
It would be fascinating to read a similar thread on a Blues forum - and I am sure they must do this every so often as well - to see if they agree with the sentiments and how honest they would be, would you get people saying that places like Erdington or Kingstanding were actually Blue. Some of them must believe it if they think there are no Villa in the city. To the guy on that twitter who said no Villa in the city you wonder if it’s a case of sheer bloody minded ignorance that he actually believes or whether he’s ever actually ventured to areas of Brum (particularly north of the centre) other than his own Blues “hot bed”. I would definitely agree most of Castle Bromwich is Villa. Most Villa fans I meet on my travels down here usually seem to come from there.

Here is what they would say

There are 20000 Villa fans who live in Brum and the rest don't.
There are a million Blues fans who live in Brum which is why the city is named after us.

We hate the Vile
The Meaning Evil doing it's favourite shit stirring best printed a headline a few years ago which ranted "It's official! Survey shows that Birmingham is 70% Blue  30% Claret & Blue" I think it was in the lead up to their cup final v Arsenal. Anyone who knows the City and has at last 2 brain cells to knock together would know what utter bollocks that is but the rabid vile hating element (about 99% of them)* quoted it as a fact for a long time afterwards and I'm still having to educate some the more mentally challenged among them to this day.

*fact checked by asking a few mates down the pub

What did they base that on?

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2020, 12:25:53 PM »
It would be fascinating to read a similar thread on a Blues forum - and I am sure they must do this every so often as well - to see if they agree with the sentiments and how honest they would be, would you get people saying that places like Erdington or Kingstanding were actually Blue. Some of them must believe it if they think there are no Villa in the city. To the guy on that twitter who said no Villa in the city you wonder if it’s a case of sheer bloody minded ignorance that he actually believes or whether he’s ever actually ventured to areas of Brum (particularly north of the centre) other than his own Blues “hot bed”. I would definitely agree most of Castle Bromwich is Villa. Most Villa fans I meet on my travels down here usually seem to come from there.

There are a million Blues fans who live in Brum which is why the city is named after us.

We hate the Vile
The Meaning Evil doing it's favourite shit stirring best printed a headline a few years ago which ranted "It's official! Survey shows that Birmingham is 70% Blue  30% Claret & Blue" I think it was in the lead up to their cup final v Arsenal. Anyone who knows the City and has at last 2 brain cells to knock together would know what utter bollocks that is but the rabid vile hating element (about 99% of them)* quoted it as a fact for a long time afterwards and I'm still having to educate some the more mentally challenged among them to this day.

Nothing.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2020, 12:28:33 PM »

We hate the Vile

It was the result of a survey of the ten staff in their club shop.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2020, 12:51:07 PM »
I actually think that's part of the problem, is that explosion means the Stripey Filth are sharing perceived strongholds "wiv them Seals".

They've always hated us, and they can't handle the fact that we're over there but they hardly register here. 

True enough. I remember reading that back in the 1890s they planned a train journey back after an FA Cup final to avoid going via Brum, so the trophy wouldn't go there, but ended up losing anyway. Bitterness appears to have always been in their DNA.

But I think this is a more modern reason they hate us, our tanks being well and truly parked on their lawn. I went to 6th Form in Stourbridge and found as many Villa as Albion, quite a few out Kingswinford way. Tae fair.
The thing about the train and the FA Cup was their plan after the 1887 final when they planned to take it back via Worcester to avoid going through Birmingham. The flaw for them was their superiors rendered their plan completely unnecessary. Mr Woodhall will be able to explain more fully.

Offline luke95

« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2020, 12:52:13 PM »
Lived in Edgbaston from 0-11. Northfield from 11-21 and for the last 30 years Rubery. Went to Shenley Court Comprehensive 80-85 and probably due to our League and European Cup successes it was full of Villa. Worked at the Austin 1990-2005 had a good mix of fans from all the Midlands clubs with mainly good banter. Plenty of Villa fans in Rubery whatever the noses might think.

I too was also at Shenley 80-85

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2020, 12:55:41 PM »
I actually think that's part of the problem, is that explosion means the Stripey Filth are sharing perceived strongholds "wiv them Seals".

They've always hated us, and they can't handle the fact that we're over there but they hardly register here. 

True enough. I remember reading that back in the 1890s they planned a train journey back after an FA Cup final to avoid going via Brum, so the trophy wouldn't go there, but ended up losing anyway. Bitterness appears to have always been in their DNA.

But I think this is a more modern reason they hate us, our tanks being well and truly parked on their lawn. I went to 6th Form in Stourbridge and found as many Villa as Albion, quite a few out Kingswinford way. Tae fair.
The thing about the train and the FA Cup was their plan after the 1887 final when they planned to take it back via Worcester to avoid going through Birmingham. The flaw for them was their superiors rendered their plan completely unnecessary. Mr Woodhall will be able to explain more fully.

Was he there?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2020, 12:58:04 PM »

That's about right. From then until the sixties they were it big rivals, then due to a lot of factors they began to disappear off our radar.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »
I was at school in Castle Brom and it was a pretty even split between us, even the Chemlsley teams I played for were 50/50.

Since moving to Sutton Villa dominate but there are a lot more Albion fans here than SHA, most of whom seem to originate from Great Barr and Hampstead, hardly any Blues.

Offline mike

« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2020, 01:40:37 PM »
I think what this thread shows is that if you go back thirty years the demarcation between support in various areas of Brum was much clearer but increased social mobility has eroded that to a large extent. I also think the long running and ongoing mismanagement at Blues has seen a decline in their fan base overall.

That's my view as well.

Offline mike

« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2020, 01:46:13 PM »

We hate the Vile

It was the result of a survey of the ten staff in their club shop.

I remember they did a 'best midfield enforcer' and best various other votes when there were several midlands clubs in the PL. Since, fans were always going to vote for their own player even if the opposition had Messi, Ronaldo and Stanley Matthews in the team, the fact that Villa won them all by a crushing majority was as indicative of the relative levels of support for the teams as that Gavin McCann was a midfield legend.

Offline Sister of Top Cat

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2020, 01:59:09 PM »
Mom was born in Aston and moved to Great Barr when she was 6. Dad was born in Nottinghamshire but moved to Great Barr as a baby.  I've lived in Great Barr (Pheasey) for most of my life, apart from 6 months in New Zealand and 7 years in Kingstanding.
My Grandma lived on Aldridge Rd right opposite Pheasey. Think it was the 33 bus when I was little. And the 997.
Yes both still run to or through Pheasey

Online Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2020, 02:02:50 PM »
Grew up in Kingstanding and Erdington in the 80s.

Nearly everyone was a Villa fan or a gloryhunter.  There was the odd (very odd) Albion fan, but never knew an admitted Bluenose during my entire schoolage years.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2020, 02:39:26 PM »
Belfast born & bred. Uncle & Aunt lived in Erdington, visits at Christmas, Villa park over the festive season; the rest is history.

Offline p_ad

« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2020, 03:05:22 PM »
Born in small heath pretty much all blues as you would expect, moved to bordesley green when I was twelve,a lot more Villa there than you would imagine.
 Now in West of Scotland and have met a fair few Villa and one baggie, some fans of the local team Greenock Morton , run a coach to Villa Park on occasion

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »
Having live in Knowle and Solihull I would state that the large proportion of Birmingham 'supporters' there have little to no interest in their own club or even football but just hate the Villa with every fibre of their pathetic being. Villa is the first result they look for, the first story they read in the paper, the only reason why they participate in radio phone ins, why they hang on for the last game on Match of the Day like its a cup final; Villa is the first club they teach their kids to sing about, a Villa loss is their Christmas, birthday and New Years Eve wrapped into one - their encyclopedic knowledge of our football club knows no bounds. They obsess and fret and worry and seethe about our existence but could not live if we weren't there.
Simple as that; without us, they are nothing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal