collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands  (Read 19434 times)

Offline Exeter 77

Re: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2020, 10:41:31 AM »
My Grandad was born in Lozells and my Dad is from Sutton Coldfield so I was never destined to support anyone else although it helped that my Dad worked for a club supplier from the late 60s to the early 80s. I grew up in Hollywood where Villa appeared to be the best supported single club with a spread of various glory hunters, as it was the eighties most notably Liverpool. Lots of these became dyed-in-wool Noses whenever they were getting promoted though. They were also the times when Blues fans were more noticeable although there never seemed to be that many of them.

After a few years in the Cheshire badlands where there were more Villa fans than I ever thought possible. I ended up in Olton which I expected to be bluenose central but the road I live on is 8-1 Villa. I only really noticed this on New Years Day a couple of years ago when we all left to go to the game accidentally simultaneously. When I lived about a mile away though a Barry Lose clone rented the house across the road.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2020, 10:54:02 AM »
I think what this thread shows is that if you go back thirty years the demarcation between support in various areas of Brum was much clearer but increased social mobility has eroded that to a large extent. I also think the long running and ongoing mismanagement at Blues has seen a decline in their fan base overall.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2020, 10:54:06 AM »
West Bromwich in the seventies/eighties was as you'd imagine, a hotbed of Stripey injustice, and growing up there could have given any right-thinking and fully-functioning human deep psychological scars. Luckily I was left with no feelings of bitterness or resentment.

There were no Wolves or Small Heath around and I got to know a handful of Villa in Tipton - no more than half a dozen of us would be waiting for the 74 after the match. Then by about 1994 we suddenly had a claret & blue explosion and you'd see as many Villa as that lot. It didn't last long but apparently there's still a few of us there now.

That 'explosion' in our Black Country support in about 1994 is exactly what I recall - I vividly remember travelling up to my parents' house from Bristol one day around that time (I think it was the day of a game v Sheffield Wednesday), seeing the number of Villa shirts being worn on the streets, and thinking 'blimey, what's been going on around here?'
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:04:56 AM by Flamingo Lane »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2020, 10:58:53 AM »
I actually think that's part of the problem, is that explosion means the Stripey Filth are sharing perceived strongholds "wiv them Seals".

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2020, 11:17:12 AM »
I actually think that's part of the problem, is that explosion means the Stripey Filth are sharing perceived strongholds "wiv them Seals".

They've always hated us, and they can't handle the fact that we're over there but they hardly register here. 

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2020, 11:21:31 AM »
Born and raised in Doncaster. My family (including 4 older sisters) are from the Black Country, Warley/Oldbury to be exact. Apparently my dad's uncles were all Albion fans but my grandad was blessed with taste and a stubborn desire to be different.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »
Grew up in Sheldon in 70s/80s and it was roughly half and half as was Acocks Green where I went to school. Supposed Blues strongholds.
I went to matches in 90s with friends from Perry Barr and Erdington and they said the Blues fans in their areas were miniscule
Moved away in 90s and came back 5 years ago or so and surprise was how many more Villa shirts you see (yes I know pet hate Mr Woodhall) than Blues in Castle Brom, Chelmsley Wood, Sheldon and Kingshurst

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »
Since it's just been mentioned, what's the origin of the seals thing?

Offline luke95

« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »
Lived around B29-30-31 most my life, 45+ years.

Always been majority Villa around these parts.
Northfield early 80s may have been slightly more blue but as a whole this part of Brum is Villa always has been

Offline Ads

« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2020, 11:28:04 AM »

They've always hated us, and they can't handle the fact that we're over there but they hardly register here. 

True enough. I remember reading that back in the 1890s they planned a train journey back after an FA Cup final to avoid going via Brum, so the trophy wouldn't go there, but ended up losing anyway. Bitterness appears to have always been in their DNA.

But I think this is a more modern reason they hate us, our tanks being well and truly parked on their lawn. I went to 6th Form in Stourbridge and found as many Villa as Albion, quite a few out Kingswinford way. Tae fair.

Offline Ads

« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »
Since it's just been mentioned, what's the origin of the seals thing?

Albion nickname for us, as we clap a lot, I guess? A nickname because we're supportive. As opposed to them that want their manager out every 3 games.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2020, 11:32:24 AM »
It would be fascinating to read a similar thread on a Blues forum - and I am sure they must do this every so often as well - to see if they agree with the sentiments and how honest they would be, would you get people saying that places like Erdington or Kingstanding were actually Blue. Some of them must believe it if they think there are no Villa in the city. To the guy on that twitter who said no Villa in the city you wonder if it’s a case of sheer bloody minded ignorance that he actually believes or whether he’s ever actually ventured to areas of Brum (particularly north of the centre) other than his own Blues “hot bed”. I would definitely agree most of Castle Bromwich is Villa. Most Villa fans I meet on my travels down here usually seem to come from there.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2020, 11:37:19 AM »
It would be fascinating to read a similar thread on a Blues forum - and I am sure they must do this every so often as well - to see if they agree with the sentiments and how honest they would be, would you get people saying that places like Erdington or Kingstanding were actually Blue. Some of them must believe it if they think there are no Villa in the city. To the guy on that twitter who said no Villa in the city you wonder if it’s a case of sheer bloody minded ignorance that he actually believes or whether he’s ever actually ventured to areas of Brum (particularly north of the centre) other than his own Blues “hot bed”. I would definitely agree most of Castle Bromwich is Villa. Most Villa fans I meet on my travels down here usually seem to come from there.

Here is what they would say

There are 20000 Villa fans who live in Brum and the rest don't.
There are a million Blues fans who live in Brum which is why the city is named after us.

We hate the Vile
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:40:34 AM by rob_bridge »

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2020, 11:55:59 AM »

Here is what they would say

There are 20000 Villa fans who live in Brum and the rest don't.
There are a million Blues fans who live in Brum which is why the city is named after us.

We hate the Vile
The Meaning Evil doing it's favourite shit stirring best printed a headline a few years ago which ranted "It's official! Survey shows that Birmingham is 70% Blue  30% Claret & Blue" I think it was in the lead up to their cup final v Arsenal. Anyone who knows the City and has at last 2 brain cells to knock together would know what utter bollocks that is but the rabid vile hating element (about 99% of them)* quoted it as a fact for a long time afterwards and I'm still having to educate some the more mentally challenged among them to this day.

*fact checked by asking a few mates down the pub
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:58:38 AM by The Edge »

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2020, 12:05:13 PM »
My Mom was born in Aston within sight of Villa Park.  She was one of 7 kids and said they used to get in for free at half time.  My Nan on that side was staunch Villa.

My Dad was born in a back to back within sight of the sty.  My Nan used to tell stories of making rope during the war and hanging it out to dry on their terraces.  Thankfully, neither of them were into football.  My Granddad's family go back generations in Smethwick.  He was a stripey but also a lovely bloke.  They were living with my Great Nan and my uncle in that house when my Granddad won the pools.  He used the winnings to buy a house in Hodge Hill, a 4 man tent and a Hillman Hunter estate that he had until he died in the 90's.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal