collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 11:32:37 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:32:10 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 11:29:53 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:28:14 AM]

[Today at 11:27:58 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa & England) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 11:27:36 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Dave
[Today at 11:22:17 AM]

[Today at 11:20:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stay or go?  (Read 4007 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Stay or go?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 10:13:54 PM »
Heaton, Nyland, Engels, Guilbert, Mings, Grealish, Luiz and McGinn all stay. Everyone else get rid. Honourable mention to Trezeguet for those late goals but he can join the rest of them out the door for the simple fact that they just weren't good enough. Suso's been shown the door for a reason.

I think Steer, Elmohamady, Targett, Hourihane can still be useful squad players. I think Hause, El Ghazi, Nakamba, Wesley, Samatta and Trezeguet can improve after having this season under their belt. Jota can go, on occasions at Small Heath he looked their best player but that isn't saying much. On other occasions he was all fart and no shit and that was in the Championship. He isn't Premier League quality in my opinion. We just need a few top quality signings who will be regulars. There is no point weakening the squad but getting rid of decent fringe players who will be needed at some point as cover.

Both missed Konsa who had a great end to the season. I do admit to finding it funny that someone put Nyland in a list of just 8 players they'd keep from the entire squad.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 10:22:39 PM »
I do admit to finding it funny that someone put Nyland in a list of just 8 players they'd keep from the entire squad.

Engels being one of the few who has proved himself worthy of avoiding the cull seems a bold choice as well.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 10:27:06 PM »
Heaton, Nyland, Engels, Guilbert, Mings, Grealish, Luiz and McGinn all stay. Everyone else get rid. Honourable mention to Trezeguet for those late goals but he can join the rest of them out the door for the simple fact that they just weren't good enough. Suso's been shown the door for a reason.

So two goalkeepers and six outfield players, means another...twelve new signings?

Gotcha.

I was going to say. The last thing we need is replacing nearly the whole bloody squad.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 10:31:30 PM »
What would you do?

Current Squad:

1 Tom Heaton (G) stay
12 Jed Steer (G)  stay
25 Orjan Haskjold Nyland (G)  go
28 Lovre Kalinic (G)  go
29 Pepe Reina (G) gone
31 Matija Sarkic (G) gone
3 Neil Taylor (D)  go
15 Ezri Konsa (D) stay
18 Matt Targett (D) stay
22 Bjorn Engels (D) either
24 Frederic Guilbert (D) stay
27 Ahmed Elmohamady (D)  stay
30 Kortney Hause (D) stay
34 Dominic Revan (D) don't know
40 Tyrone Mings (D)  stay
61 Myles Sohna (D) don't know him
NA Jake Doyle-Hayes (M)  already gone
4 Danny Drinkwater (M) let's be serious here!
6 Douglas Luiz (M)  stay
7 John McGinn (M) stay
8 Henri Lansbury (M)  go
10 Jack Grealish (M)  stay
11 Marvelous Nakamba (M)  either
14 Conor Hourihane (M) either
17 Trezeguet (M) either
21 Anwar El Ghazi (M)  stay
23 Jota (M) go
41 Jacob Ramsey (M)  stay
57 Jaden Philogene-Bidace (M)
59 Kaine Hayden (M) don't know
60 Carney Chukwuemeka (M) stay
NA Louie Barry (F) stay
9 Wesley (F)  stay
20 Mbwana Samatta (F)  go
36 Indiana Vassilev (F) stay
39 Keinan Davis (F)  loan him out
51 Cameron Archer (F)  stay
58 Aaron Pressley (F) don't know

Here's mine. Several with either, meaning stay or go, perhaps use them to swap with other clubs?

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 10:46:40 PM »
Taylor,Jota,Lansbury,Nakamba.,AEG can go. If Steer and Heaton are fit for the start then Nyland can go.Samatta might have to stay as cover as Wesley's return looks distant.
There are some young prospects missing from the list.Clarke and Mungo Bridges have trained recently with the first team squad.Jacob Ramsey has come on as a sub and did well at Doncaster .Bree played a lot for Luton.Surprised to see that O'Hare has moved permanently to Coventry.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 11:41:29 PM »
Current Squad excluding loan players, kids and those on our released list:

GK: Heaton, Steer, Nyland, Kalinic

RB: Guilbert, Elmohamady, Bree

LB: Targett, Taylor

CB: Konsa, Engels, Mings, Hause

MF: Luiz, McGinn, Hourihane, Lansbury, Nakamba

AM: Grealish, El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Jota

FW: Wesley, Samatta, Davis, Hogan

Sell/Get Rid:  Nyland and/or Kalinic, Bree, Taylor, Lansbury, El Ghazi, Jota, Samatta, Hogan

Will probably be sold: Grealish

Assuming, the above we'll need:

1 x GK  - either challenger/future replacement for Heaton; or a number 3 if we keep Steer as understudy and have whacked our budget on outfield players.  Nyland as a number 3 might be ok.

1 x LB - we can't have Neil Taylor as an option in the PL.  Not convinced about Targett but not giving up yet, so either a promising young LB, or a veteran with PL experience.

1 x MF - spend big money on a central midfielder to complement Luiz and McGinn.  Keep Nakamba and Hourihane as understudies.

2 x AM - spend big money to replace Jack, and upgrade El Ghazi.  Keep Trezeguet as a sub/alternative, as he has the knack for important goals, and does at least graft.

2 x ST - our shallow/unreliable pool of strikers almost cost us this season; the lack of a goalscoring threat has cost of us loads.  We can't trust Wesley and Davis to get more than about 10-12 between them, so we need to get the best striker we can possibly afford, and another possibly a promising youngster or maybe a veteran who will chip in a few or come off the bench.

Supplement that with any quality youngsters we can get hold of /promote to fill out the squad.

So that's 6/7 new players (depending on whether Jack stays), 4 of whom need to be quality starters.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 11:43:27 PM »
Forgot about Hogan and Bree. GO and GO.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 11:54:33 PM »

I think Steer, Elmohamady, Targett, Hourihane can still be useful squad players. I think Hause, El Ghazi, Nakamba, Wesley, Samatta and Trezeguet can improve after having this season under their belt. Jota can go, on occasions at Small Heath he looked their best player but that isn't saying much. On other occasions he was all fart and no shit and that was in the Championship. He isn't Premier League quality in my opinion. We just need a few top quality signings who will be regulars. There is no point weakening the squad but getting rid of decent fringe players who will be needed at some point as cover.

Both missed Konsa who had a great end to the season. I do admit to finding it funny that someone put Nyland in a list of just 8 players they'd keep from the entire squad.

Nyland is nothing like good enough for this level.

Has 1 game like Leicester in the LC SF where he looks incredible then 2 where he looks like he's never caught a ball.

You need to be able to rely on your keeper, I have never consistently thought we can rely on Nyland.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 11:56:06 PM »
We can't trust Wesley and Davis to get more than about 10-12 between them, so we need to get the best striker we can possibly afford, and another possibly a promising youngster or maybe a veteran who will chip in a few or come off the bench.

How many of that 10-12 are you expecting Davis to get?

Offline Legion

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 11:56:20 PM »

Offline Legion

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2020, 11:57:47 PM »
We can't trust Wesley and Davis to get more than about 10-12 between them, so we need to get the best striker we can possibly afford, and another possibly a promising youngster or maybe a veteran who will chip in a few or come off the bench.

How many of that 10-12 are you expecting Davis to get?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 12:07:18 AM »

Has 1 game like Leicester in the LC SF where he looks incredible then 2 where he looks like he's never caught a ball.

You need to be able to rely on your keeper, I have never consistently thought we can rely on Nyland.

I like him, I saw some things he said in the Norwegian press after he joined and really wanted him to do well but he's just not quite good enough. If we'd gone down I'd have been happy to keep him and Steer and let them fight it out for the gloves but now that's changed. I'd keep one as a 3rd choice if they're happy with that but I don't see either being a regular for a premier league team that does anything except struggle at the wrong end of the league. I'd actually have preferred to let both go and keep Sarkic but it's a bit late for that.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 12:08:09 AM »

A goalkeeper needs to exude self belief in both their own ability to do their job and in commanding those in front of them. He just doesn't, at all. Like he's suffering with imposter syndrome.

Offline Legion

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 12:08:10 AM »
Nyland is not good enough at this level.

Offline Legion

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 12:09:15 AM »
He reminds me of the rabbit caught in headlights analogy. Looks terrified all the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal