collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New Villa Book... sort of...Now available in paperback!  (Read 31547 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: New Villa Book... sort of...Now available in paperback!
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2020, 06:03:47 PM »
Thank you Percy..hand posted by East Birmingham's literacy whizz. Was reading an autobiography of Ray Charles but I had a gander .... And I can't put it down!! Reminds me of a time that I don't fully recall but I know I lived through.
It's the second book of Percy's I own... and they're both Villa-lit essential. Assuming it's a trilogy??

Hmmm... I dunno. Took a lot out of me that one!

Thanks for your kind words mate.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2020, 12:10:28 PM »
Listen out for me on awaydays radio, I’m sure you’re all avid listeners.

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
Picked it up yesterday - and couldn’t put it down until I’d finished. Outstanding. Well done Perce - loved it.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2020, 02:08:37 PM »
Picked it up yesterday - and couldn’t put it down until I’d finished. Outstanding. Well done Perce - loved it.

Bless you mate. And thanks for swapping those Weller tickets for that review all those years ago. As the great man himself once said on some blisteringly brilliant b-side he wrote... ‘the match that started my fire’.

So it’s all credit to you/all your fault*

*delete as applicable.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2020, 08:05:57 AM »
5.0 out of 5 starsVerified Purchase
Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 25 September 2020
Cracking Read
What a cracking read.
I’m not really a reader, I just can’t seem to stay focused enough to finish them.
But I knew I had a holiday coming up, and after a conversation with Steve on the bus, I seen this was now available, so decided I would have this to read whilst on holiday.
Well I must say I loved it, the life story of the protagonist from the early years to ‘The End’ had me enthralled.
Probably the quickest I’ve ever read a book, had me laughing at some of the antics he got up to.
Would recommend this book to anybody.
Hopefully there will be more from Steve to come

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2020, 08:58:31 AM »
Received a copy in the post today (thanks Percy).

Going to start reading it tonight.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2020, 03:28:33 PM »
Received a copy in the post today (thanks Percy).

Going to start reading it tonight.

Phew, that’s a relief. Thank you for your kindness mate.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2020, 08:27:39 AM »
Where do you start with reviewing this book?

The chapters about growing up in Birmingham in the 1960/70's were brilliant and took me back to my own childhood. The 20 a side games of football, trying to recreate your heroes (mine was He who walks on water), the subbuteo leagues and even sneakily stealing sweets from the corner shop. All brought memories flooding back and the stories were very well told.

As the book progressed it was interesting trying to work out what was real and what was fictional, a great part of the fun of reading the book (hope it isn't a confession in disguise ;D).

All in all, the book was brilliant and like others have said I couldn't put it down until I had finished it. 

I would recommend anyone who grew up in the 1970's in England, come from Birmingham or is a Villa fan to buy it.

Brilliant read Percy.     

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2020, 12:09:43 PM »

The chapters about growing up in Birmingham in the 1960/70's were brilliant and took me back to my own childhood. The 20 a side games of football, trying to recreate your heroes (mine was He who walks on water), the subbuteo leagues and even sneakily stealing sweets from the corner shop. All brought memories flooding back and the stories were very well told.

As the book progressed it was interesting trying to work out what was real and what was fictional, a great part of the fun of reading the book (hope it isn't a confession in disguise ;D).

All in all, the book was brilliant and like others have said I couldn't put it down until I had finished it. 

I would recommend anyone who grew up in the 1970's in England, come from Birmingham or is a Villa fan to buy it.

Brilliant read Percy.     

Thanks mate, very kind of you. I really appreciate the support.

It’s nearly all true, just rearranged and a few people disguised.

Offline kentishvillan

« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2020, 10:47:45 PM »
Percy,

My wife kindly bought me this book in paperback.

I really enjoyed it, a great read. As a Villa fan for almost 50 years, but also having seen The Jam and Paul Weller numerous times, the main character really resonated with me. A real blueprint for youth culture alongside a journey into the sinister underworld of Birmingham at that time.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2020, 08:01:48 AM »
Percy,

My wife kindly bought me this book in paperback.

I really enjoyed it, a great read. As a Villa fan for almost 50 years, but also having seen The Jam and Paul Weller numerous times, the main character really resonated with me. A real blueprint for youth culture alongside a journey into the sinister underworld of Birmingham at that time.

Very nice of you to say mate,  glad you enjoyed it.

I remember sending one to Kent. Thanks for your support, and say thanks to your very perceptive wife from me too.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2020, 08:02:46 AM »
Just a nudge for everyone who bought the paperback - you can leave amazon reviews too!

😊

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2020, 02:50:59 PM »
Podcast booked with Paul Collins (the Gabbie Cabbie) in a couple of weeks.

Online nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2020, 03:06:04 PM »

Brilliant read Percy.     

I was hoping Roots the Chemist was real until I realised it was an actual chemist on Trinity Rd.  Also the crab in the bag has to be true, you can’t make that stuff up!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2020, 09:57:51 PM »

Brilliant read Percy.     

I was hoping Roots the Chemist was real until I realised it was an actual chemist on Trinity Rd.  Also the crab in the bag has to be true, you can’t make that stuff up!

Haha! I was wondering when someone would spot that. But some of the Roots stories are true, even the most outrageous one.

The crab is true too. And the geezer responsible.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal