collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Future  (Read 4870 times)

Offline frank black

Re: The Future
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »
Been as our owners are filthy rich and we will get a parachute payment.   Why would we be looking to sell all our best players?

Exactly! the biggest issue this season was failing to gel a host of new players. sell the spine again and we are faced with 2016 transition season again. Really we just need one more centre half and a striker.
Keep all the big names and walk the championship without losing a game.
And a new manager.

I’m betting that this will not happen. We may hold on to a couple of the good ones but the really rated ones will be sold I expect.

Offline frank black

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2020, 04:14:36 PM »
Get someone like Dwight Gayle-type and that Brewster on loan and it wouldn't take a genius to get us promoted as champions. Obviously depending on how many players we lose.

Loan to buys only for me. We’ve learned the hard way about loans.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »
You won't attract the required standard of striker in the Championship on a permanent deal. Any permanent deal therefore creates the problem of having to get rid once you get promoted.

The problem wasn't getting Abraham on loan, it was replacing him with someone who was not good enough. It is impossible to get a good enough squad together within the limits of Championship FFP without loaning players. That's why every promotion hopeful loans players.

The good news is we shouldn't need to loan nearly so many players next time. Getting a new Abraham on loan would be a no-brainer, though, if such a player was available.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 04:23:08 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline levico

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2020, 04:38:21 PM »
For me the owners need to make a big statement by ditching Smith and bringing in a manager who will make everyone sit up and think "Christ, the Villa mean business with that appointment".
As much as it hurts me to say it but are we really still considered to be a "big club" ? - Not beating Manure at home for 25 years is pathetic
Not winning the FA Cup for 63 years is pathetic (Even Coventry and Wigan have managed to do it ), not being able to outpoint Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton , Watford is pathetic, recruitment this season  path.... you know the rest
Its been said numerous times on here … why the hell did we not go out and buy a forward line that can actually score goals
I'm trying hard to be optimistic but I'm beginning to question some of the decisions and appointments by our owners...… whilst we may have been promoted "too soon" the least expected was for the club to hang onto its top flight status ….. the attempt to do so has been ……..yes, you've guessed - Fucking Pathetic
UTV :)   

Absolutely. We can close this thread now.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2020, 05:28:51 PM »
McGinn won't go for £50m and the club may even resist selling him.
We'll cash in JG and Mings, and we may be forced into selling Luiz and Wes. We'll offload some of the deadwood in the squad - Ange, Taylor, Trez, and possibly Engels.
The new manager will have to know the market well and bring in some inexpensive players with the potential to grow into EPL players in a year or two. And, he'll have to understand how to integrate the best of our younger players into the matchday squad.

The biggest question of the moment is: what was Purslow's thinking about not pulling the trigger in December or February?

Offline Villan82

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »
Criminal by Purslow. Up their with the stupid decisions of all time.Even a small new manager bounce could have kept us up. It was worth taking the risk rather than stagnating under Smith's regime.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2020, 05:33:56 PM »
You won't attract the required standard of striker in the Championship on a permanent deal. Any permanent deal therefore creates the problem of having to get rid once you get promoted.

The problem wasn't getting Abraham on loan, it was replacing him with someone who was not good enough. It is impossible to get a good enough squad together within the limits of Championship FFP without loaning players. That's why every promotion hopeful loans players.

The good news is we shouldn't need to loan nearly so many players next time. Getting a new Abraham on loan would be a no-brainer, though, if such a player was available.

But it hasnt been a lack of goals (until the last few weeks) that been our problem. For three quarters of the season, it was the fact we have had to get two in every game to get any points. We’ve still scored more than Sheffield United.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »
Just make it all stop, somebody. Why can’t we just have nice things?

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2020, 05:39:19 PM »

Getting rid of Samatta and Wes for £ and replacing them with Lyle Taylor (free) and Ivan Toney £8m and having
Toney, Taylor, Davis, Barry

I don’t think both Wes and Samatta will leave though. Maybe just the one

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2020, 05:40:29 PM »
Once we're (mathematically) down, I want the owners to release an official statement of their future intentions regarding Aston Villa and their plan to deal with this unmitigated disaster of a season for the club.

Then it will be 'don't tell me, show me.'

We'll learn a lot by their actions in the shortened pre season. I'm more interested in that than statements and PR pieces.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2020, 06:07:07 PM »
We could still win 3 or 4 of our next fixtures. Miracles do happen.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2020, 06:11:12 PM »
We could still win 3 or 4 of our next fixtures. Miracles do happen.

7 points adrift is huge. Plus the teams we are chasing will no doubt pick up additional points- for a start, Watford and West Ham play each other next.

Online ez

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2020, 06:12:23 PM »
We might give Scott Hogan another try.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2020, 06:15:48 PM »
I'm not convinced anyone will pay 50m for McGinn, based on both form and financial climate.

Agreed. £20m tops which is a nice profit.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »
Future depends on so many things. Still a lot of support for Smith but keeping him would just extend the losing mentality IMO. We have rich owners but FFP somewhat neutralises that advantage.
Ok, I give up, no idea. We could become another Sunderland but my gut says we’ll hover around mid table in the Championship for a few years or until at last, at long last, we appoint a really good manager.

Building a solid team can take time. It's easy to say, maybe we came up a year too early. And yes, we had to rely on loan players, but that doesn't help the promoted team gel in the new league.
At least we won't be playing Leeds next year.

I don't think we can hide behind coming up too early. It was about time after already losing a play off final. If anyone can claim to have risen too quickly it is Sheffield United who went from League One to the Premier League. But look how well they have adapted to the top flight despite spending peanuts compared to Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal