collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Future  (Read 4874 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: The Future
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 03:07:13 PM »
The EFL are suing Derby based on the same accounting period we revalued the ground, I think we may have a problem.

Be interesting what happens to FFP as a result of the Covid situation. There’s going to be financial carnage in the championship and below that’s for sure.

Quite. How can you penalise a club who bought players on the basis they'd be getting a set amount of match day revenue to balance the books

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 03:09:13 PM »
Sack Smith and Terry, appoint a manager with the ability to not just get us promoted, but make us competitive in the Premier League.
Exactly right.  Yes, Dean got us up, which was great.  But now it seems he's taking us down again.  People go on about stability but that's not stability, it's instability.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 03:10:06 PM »
Think back to August. It was so positive.

I felt sure we’d be good enough to finish around 14/15th and build from there.

This is devastating. 2015/16 was a culmination of circling the drain for years, this season was about us continuing to progress. Everything was set, people in the right positions of power at the club.

Now look at us. Back down without even breaking sweat.

I genuinely don’t know where we go from here. Everyone referenced Sunderland last time out, who’s to say it couldn’t happen this time. We have a losing mentality, we just accept it.

Massive decisions over the next few weeks to make sure that doesn’t happen.

Offline levico

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 03:20:36 PM »
Future depends on so many things. Still a lot of support for Smith but keeping him would just extend the losing mentality IMO. We have rich owners but FFP somewhat neutralises that advantage.
Ok, I give up, no idea. We could become another Sunderland but my gut says we’ll hover around mid table in the Championship for a few years or until at last, at long last, we appoint a really good manager.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 03:22:28 PM »
The EFL are suing Derby based on the same accounting period we revalued the ground, I think we may have a problem.

Be interesting what happens to FFP as a result of the Covid situation. There’s going to be financial carnage in the championship and below that’s for sure.
Agree, the suggestion is that Derby and us broke the rules then and we escaped by promotion.

Not true. They signed off our accounts prior to promotion.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2020, 03:24:06 PM »
Plus Jacks sales alone (as he’s an academy player) will cover 2 seasons of FFP ‘hole’ in a oner

Offline postal

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 03:26:03 PM »
Future depends on so many things. Still a lot of support for Smith but keeping him would just extend the losing mentality IMO. We have rich owners but FFP somewhat neutralises that advantage.
Ok, I give up, no idea. We could become another Sunderland but my gut says we’ll hover around mid table in the Championship for a few years or until at last, at long last, we appoint a really good manager.

Building a solid team can take time. It's easy to say, maybe we came up a year too early. And yes, we had to rely on loan players, but that doesn't help the promoted team gel in the new league.
At least we won't be playing Leeds next year.

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »
Been as our owners are filthy rich and we will get a parachute payment.   Why would we be looking to sell all our best players?

Exactly! the biggest issue this season was failing to gel a host of new players. sell the spine again and we are faced with 2016 transition season again. Really we just need one more centre half and a striker.
Keep all the big names and walk the championship without losing a game.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2020, 03:33:26 PM »
Been as our owners are filthy rich and we will get a parachute payment.   Why would we be looking to sell all our best players?

Exactly! the biggest issue this season was failing to gel a host of new players. sell the spine again and we are faced with 2016 transition season again. Really we just need one more centre half and a striker.
And a new manager.

Offline steamer

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »
This lot are lucky the stadiums are empty
When we went down to the Third I remember a gallows humour and we are all in it together vibe.
Last home game Vs Sheff Utd, 32,000 and the Holte end defiantly singing , " if Villa do go down, we all go down together"
we had won 3 of our last 5 including beating the rags at the sty
Doubt if the crowd would have the same sentiment today, for some of this lot.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2020, 03:46:54 PM »
For me the owners need to make a big statement by ditching Smith and bringing in a manager who will make everyone sit up and think "Christ, the Villa mean business with that appointment".
As much as it hurts me to say it but are we really still considered to be a "big club" ? - Not beating Manure at home for 25 years is pathetic
Not winning the FA Cup for 63 years is pathetic (Even Coventry and Wigan have managed to do it ), not being able to outpoint Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton , Watford is pathetic, recruitment this season  path.... you know the rest
Its been said numerous times on here … why the hell did we not go out and buy a forward line that can actually score goals
I'm trying hard to be optimistic but I'm beginning to question some of the decisions and appointments by our owners...… whilst we may have been promoted "too soon" the least expected was for the club to hang onto its top flight status ….. the attempt to do so has been ……..yes, you've guessed - Fucking Pathetic
UTV :)   

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »

And a new manager.
This team isnt walking the championship even with 2 additions.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
Get someone like Dwight Gayle-type and that Brewster on loan and it wouldn't take a genius to get us promoted as champions. Obviously depending on how many players we lose.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2020, 04:04:26 PM »
The future is dark and full of pain.

Apologies, I haven't taken this morning's results well.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2020, 04:09:06 PM »
Am I correct in saying that the next season kicks off on September 12th?  If so, that gives us a 6 week turnaround and Villa's hierarchy had better get their skates on, unless the new manager is already lined up and we are working behind the scenes on transfers for both the Prem and the Championship, although it looks pretty inevitable now.  Business needs to be done quickly.

I think we really need a lift.  The players, the fans, the whole club.  This is the only way they will get rid of the smell of defeat.  A Manager who can get the best out of the players who end up staying and add a couple of clued up players with experience of the Championship.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal