collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 0 v Crystal Palace Pre Match Thread.  (Read 10190 times)

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Aston Villa 0 v Crystal Palace Pre Match Thread.
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2020, 10:48:02 AM »
I don't think 3 wins will be enough - We need all 4!

I can see West Ham/Watford drawing, and Watford beating Man City (they beat Liverpool convincingly remember, and Man City will have one eye on the return of the Champions League by that point). West Ham/Watford could both realistically finish on 38pts (assuming West Ham beat us), leaving us 11 points behind. We need all 4 wins, and hope that they don't put similar runs together.

Based on our current form, I think it's pie in the sky stuff. We won't gain another point all season.

I’d still take my chances of staying up on Watford not beating Man City

Offline Damo70

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2020, 10:53:17 AM »
Palace's two centre halves Tomkins and Cahill are both ruled out injured for today's game.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2020, 10:53:38 AM »
I don't think 3 wins will be enough - We need all 4!

I can see West Ham/Watford drawing, and Watford beating Man City (they beat Liverpool convincingly remember, and Man City will have one eye on the return of the Champions League by that point). West Ham/Watford could both realistically finish on 38pts (assuming West Ham beat us), leaving us 11 points behind. We need all 4 wins, and hope that they don't put similar runs together.

Based on our current form, I think it's pie in the sky stuff. We won't gain another point all season.

I’d still take my chances of staying up on Watford not beating Man City

It's a big risk though.... The form they've got themselves in, and with Pearson in charge, is it too unrealistic to expect Watford to pick up points against either Man City (H) or Arsenal (A) if needed?

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2020, 10:57:15 AM »
They’ve lost 4 on the spin who better to play next, none other than Aston Villa.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2020, 11:03:28 AM »
They’ve lost 4 on the spin who better to play next, none other than Aston Villa.
Sorry to be pedantic, but it's two - Chelsea(H) and Leicester(A).  THey beat Bournemouth (A) prior to that 2-0.  ;)

Anyway, going back to Damo's comment about their CBs being out... .They could play rush goalie and still win comfortably. Not like we're going to be a threat on their goal!

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2020, 11:04:31 AM »
In which case why won’t they just beat West Ham, and then leave us with our fate in our own hands on the last day if we get the other wins we need?

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2020, 11:09:45 AM »
In which case why won’t they just beat West Ham, and then leave us with our fate in our own hands on the last day if we get the other wins we need?
Because West Ham are in good form of their own.... Something which we are sadly lacking an iota of.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2020, 11:09:55 AM »
We have the most fouled player in the league. ....
.. and we haven't worked out yet how to take and convert killer set-pieces from all those fouls.
Criminal, really.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2020, 11:17:59 AM »
Because West Ham are in good form of their own.... Something which we are sadly lacking an iota of.

To be fair, Man City are in quite good form too - doesn’t that count?

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2020, 11:18:43 AM »
We have the most fouled player in the league. ....
.. and we haven't worked out yet how to take and convert killer set-pieces from all those fouls.
Criminal, really.

I’d say we’re pretty consistent with our set pieces.

Consistently awful at defending them, and consistently poor at delivering them.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2020, 11:28:33 AM »

It does, but if you look at the two teams' run-ins, and their likely motivation at the point that they face each other...

Watford will need one more win at that point to probably secure survival, whilst Man City will have just come off the back of the FA Cup semi against Arsenal. Man City's two remaining league games, prior to facing Real Madrid, are Watford and Norwich. I don't think they're going to be going too gung-ho in either of those games with that on the horizon.

Yes, they're still a formidable force even in second gear, but Watford are definitely one of the teams that you wouldn't want to face in that situation imo.

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2020, 11:37:04 AM »
Time and time again when the teams around us have failed to get points, we subsequently proceed to shoot ourselves in the foot.

We are where we are because we have f*cked it up for ourselves and let’s face it  - for the main we have been imposters in this league. Hurts to type this but it’s fact and from day one sitting in the sunshine at Spurs last August -phone in hand - ready to hit the cash out button before they equalised it has been the same time and time and time again. Cyndi Lauper will tell you that, she goes with me to all the matches. She just wanted to have fun but our true colours came shining through. I’ve completely lost track of what it was that I was posting about now so see ya, I’m off.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:40:07 AM by dl9 »

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2020, 11:42:36 AM »

It does, but if you look at the two teams' run-ins, and their likely motivation at the point that they face each other...

Watford will need one more win at that point to probably secure survival, whilst Man City will have just come off the back of the FA Cup semi against Arsenal. Man City's two remaining league games, prior to facing Real Madrid, are Watford and Norwich. I don't think they're going to be going too gung-ho in either of those games with that on the horizon.

Yes, they're still a formidable force even in second gear, but Watford are definitely one of the teams that you wouldn't want to face in that situation imo.

Which is fine, but you can apply that logic across the board - why would Palace and Everton be any more motivated in our games given neither have anything realistically to play for. You could argue City’s player will be playing for the Champions League final places so will have more motivation.

I know it’s unlikely, but I don’t see the point of looking any further ahead than we need to at the moment. Last season we had to win 10 on the spin to make the playoffs and we did it -  we now must win the next two and see where it leaves us.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2020, 11:48:28 AM »
If we lose today we will need a new picture for the back of the North Stand

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »
We need to win today if only to keep West Ham and Watford honest when they play each other.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal