collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Manchester United Post Match Thread  (Read 17714 times)

Online cdward

Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United Post Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2020, 03:25:35 PM »
Watching Villa this season is like watching the U12's v U15's.
We compete, but ultimately the bigger boys just move up a gear and we lose.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2020, 03:28:48 PM »

This should be read in a Swiss Toni voice :)

Offline Allan C

« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2020, 03:30:08 PM »
I have hated var since I saw the first offside given for a toenail offside. They say it follows the letter of the law. Well breaking news- it doesn't. The letter of the law says "if a player is deemed to be in an offside position WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYED" If your going on such miniscule margins to call an offside then you have to be certain of the PRECISE moment the ball leaves the passing players foot. It's the elephant in the room which proves VAR is fundamentally flawed. Then you give all the power to the referee's pals to make a judgement call and guess what? They just use it to back their pals up to the hilt. With all the money involved in top flight football I'm surprised that no club has made a legal challenge over it. I'm beginning to despise top flight football.
I hate VAR and always have. The problem is the “off side by a toe nail” is factually always correct and easy to give. Incidents like last night’s penalty come down to one mans opinion, some would give it the majority  wouldn’t. It was always going to be this way the minute VAR was brought in.
You  missed my point there mate.The offside by a toenail is not factually correct. By the letter of the law a player is deemed to be offside when the ball is played. So if you're being so precise in giving offside for tiny margins then by definition you have to be just a precise as to when the ball actually leaves the passing players boot. It's the reason big companies are looking ar developing technology which will define this. Arsene Wenger has been asked by fifa to look into the offside situation to come up with a better way of doing it. Personally I think it's simple. The ref takes a look at a pitch line monitor and he can't decide if it's offside or not without the aid of a protractor or NASA technology then it's not offside. It can be made that simple in my view.
Yes you’re right. I understood the point you were making and it’s also correct how ridiculous the “toe nail” offsides are when we all know that it makes absolutely no difference to the scoring of a goal. But it is factually correct given the conditions you state and are easy to give by the VAR ref,  love it or loathe it (I loathe it). My point was where it comes to decisions like last night then it’s back to one mans opinion. Last night he said penalty where the majority would say no way.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2020, 04:17:46 PM »
What I liked about Dean Smith originally was that against sides like us or Leeds he wouldn't care for reputation and send his Brentford side out to dominate the possession stats and play to win. Didn't always work be he always set up that way. I naively thought that's exactly what he would build with us. I was completely wrong.
The thing is TV it wasn’t ‘his’ Brentford team.
It was the team that play in the Brentford way and still do.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2020, 04:22:58 PM »
What I liked about Dean Smith originally was that against sides like us or Leeds he wouldn't care for reputation and send his Brentford side out to dominate the possession stats and play to win. Didn't always work be he always set up that way. I naively thought that's exactly what he would build with us. I was completely wrong.

No I get it as proven by Frank, but that's what we thought we were getting.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2020, 04:57:07 PM »
Maybe we can take him back under trade descriptions act of 1968

Online itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2020, 05:13:07 PM »

I don't think you were, that's how he started the season, but we had the stuffing knocked out of us by Leicester and Man City especially, and he lost his nerve and the team lost their confidence

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2020, 06:25:46 PM »

This should be read in a Swiss Toni voice :)

That has made me laugh for the first time today 😂

Online Skerra

« Reply #218 on: July 10, 2020, 07:01:17 PM »
It seems like Serie A have got VAR about right. The people reviewing tell the referee that they have doubts about his original decision and ask him to review it again on the pitch side monitor. The referee makes the final decision and more often than not, reverses his original decision. They take VAR As a positive thing and are not concerned that they got the original decision wrong. That’s what it’s there for!!

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2020, 07:19:01 PM »
I've only seen 2 people think it was a penalty, and it was the 2 c***s that gave it. I haven't even seen a sha or manure fan reckon it was a penalty.
There's 3 people actually. Solskjaer in true one eyed Fergie fashion said on motd "I thought it was a pen" Absolute wanker.

Heard an interview with him this morning , I might be paraphrasing a bit but he attempted to justify the penalty by saying "Bruno's done what we call his Maradona, a little spin, the boy's put his leg out, and Bruno has to land somewhere and he's landed on his leg and  it was a penalty".

So there you go, all cleared up

I saw him say that last night. What he failed to recognise was that unlike Fernandes, Maradona's Maradona didn't involve missing his second touch and leaving the ball a yard and a half away while he fell over.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2020, 08:07:18 PM »
It seems like Serie A have got VAR about right. The people reviewing tell the referee that they have doubts about his original decision and ask him to review it again on the pitch side monitor. The referee makes the final decision and more often than not, reverses his original decision. They take VAR As a positive thing and are not concerned that they got the original decision wrong. That’s what it’s there for!!

The problem here is egos, too many of the refs refuse to accept they've made mistakes so everything is loaded to protect them from having to.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2020, 09:03:42 PM »
Maybe we can take him back under trade descriptions act of 1968
It doesn't apply to perishable goods.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2020, 09:06:08 PM »

Apologies chaps if this has been done before (and apologies for the formatting)

After our habitual defeat to Man U last night I thought I would really depress myself and analysis our results against the teams that usually finish in the top six - I refuse to use Sky’s favourite phrase

We all know who they are but for the avoidance of doubt - Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U and Man C

I didn’t realise just how depressing the exercise would turn out to be

P   W   D   L   F   A   Pts   %

2010/11   12   3   3   6   14   24   12   33
2011/12   12   1   1   10   9   26   4   11
2012/13   12   1   1   10   8   33   4   11
2013/14   12   3   1   8   12   26   10   28
2014/15   12   2   1   9   8   26   7   19
2015/16   12   0   1   11   3   32   1   3
2020/21   11   0   1   10   11   31   1   3

Totals   83   10   9   64   65   198   39   16

Great stats. Cheers.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2020, 09:39:21 PM »
Yes, calling Mings a coward is very harsh.
Agreed, absurd heat of the moment nonsense.

I thought he was fine in the first few post-lockdown games.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #224 on: July 11, 2020, 02:54:09 AM »

No I get it as proven by Frank, but that's what we thought we were getting.
i think we had about 35% possession against Utd. That’s pretty poor. I know you could have that and still win the game, but it’s still poor

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal