collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

FFP by KevinGage
[March 18, 2024, 10:10:45 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:18:52 PM]

Re: Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Manchester United Post Match Thread  (Read 17674 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United Post Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2020, 09:51:23 AM »
I have hated var since I saw the first offside given for a toenail offside. They say it follows the letter of the law. Well breaking news- it doesn't. The letter of the law says "if a player is deemed to be in an offside position WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYED" If your going on such miniscule margins to call an offside then you have to be certain of the PRECISE moment the ball leaves the passing players foot. It's the elephant in the room which proves VAR is fundamentally flawed. Then you give all the power to the referee's pals to make a judgement call and guess what? They just use it to back their pals up to the hilt. With all the money involved in top flight football I'm surprised that no club has made a legal challenge over it. I'm beginning to despise top flight football.
I hate VAR and always have. The problem is the “off side by a toe nail” is factually always correct and easy to give. Incidents like last night’s penalty come down to one mans opinion, some would give it the majority  wouldn’t. It was always going to be this way the minute VAR was brought in.
Offside by a toe nail also comes down to one man's opinion, specifically his opinion of the precise instant at which the ball is delivered.  Every frame he gets it wrong he is wrong by 1/50 of a second during which time a receiving player running at 10mph will have travelled over 2 inches.
Thank you. You put into simple terms what I've been waffling on about for ages. 😁

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2020, 09:56:04 AM »
if there was no VAR last night it would still have been a penalty as that’s what the ref gave

VAR is there to right the wrongs but it failed last night

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #182 on: July 10, 2020, 09:57:57 AM »
if there was no VAR last night it would still have been a penalty as that’s what the ref gave

VAR is there to right the wrongs but it failed last night

Until VAR is independently reviewed its never going to work. Its old boys club protecting their mates. Its not the tech, its the morons using it

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #183 on: July 10, 2020, 10:00:01 AM »
I've decided I don't want football on my birthday after all. At least it was the night before.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #184 on: July 10, 2020, 10:01:28 AM »
I've decided I don't want football on my birthday after all. At least it was the night before.
Happy Birthday

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #185 on: July 10, 2020, 10:06:39 AM »
Hit the post and then United waltz down the pitch and win a "pen".

Don't know what we've done to deserve it, but the footballing Gods are really shitting on us.

Good and bad decisions are supposed to even out; but when it comes to VAR  it doesn't seem to be the case this season.

Mind you we're still less than the sum of our parts and that's why we are where we are.

Offline devilla

• GM : Nov, 2012
« Reply #186 on: July 10, 2020, 10:15:29 AM »

I never thought i would see us plumb the depths of the Sherwood/Garde era for spine free team performances. Yes the penalty was a joke but you use the injustice of that to energise as a team or, alternatively, you curl up into a ball hoping they don't kick you too hard. No prizes for guessing which one this Villa team did. 

Witless, gutless, useless.

Agreed and that attitude was perfectly summed up by Mings standing still holding his bollocks while Greenwood picked his spot. Despicable.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2020, 10:20:59 AM »
Last night illustrated just how fragile our confidence is, which is inevitable for a team in our position. Until the ridiculous penalty award we were the better side but it was like a switch had transferred that self belief from us to them and from that point the result the inevitable.

You just know that if it had been Samatta going down in the box there would have been no penalty and he’d have probably got booked for diving.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »
Our galcticos

Mings
McGinn
Grealish

They can all fuck off for me

McGinn  - for not being in condition - he has had long enough and Douglas is fitter than ever

Mings - Has become a media darling whilst forgetting to actually play football - a coward and a bottler - every game there is a mistake and most usually a goal directly attributed to him.

Grealish - Hype has gone to his head - where is the Captain screaming at others that they are not good enough - Souness is right he is fouled so much because he hogs the ball too long

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2020, 10:53:50 AM »
Last night illustrated just how fragile our confidence is, which is inevitable for a team in our position. Until the ridiculous penalty award we were the better side but it was like a switch had transferred that self belief from us to them and from that point the result the inevitable.

You just know that if it had been Samatta going down in the box there would have been no penalty and he’d have probably got booked for diving.
He did go down in the box early in the second half actually and I thought it ought to have been looked at.  But no, not a sniff.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2020, 11:04:37 AM »
If the ref hadn’t given the pen, but VAR reviewed the incident, there is no way VAR would have called a penalty. No way.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2020, 11:06:06 AM »
The confidence is rock bottom and unfortunately Man U look a decent outfit nowadays. We played very well I thought up to their goal. The shot by Trez was almost perfectly executed, but then they just go and get a shite penalty. It's really difficult for weaker teams in games nowadays. No crowd, drink breaks, 5 subs, they all favour the stronger teams. It's hard to keep momentum and get in the other teams faces when there is no crowd behind and the games are being broken up. Has anyone even seen a scuffle between players since the games restarted? It's all so sanitised.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2020, 11:57:11 AM »
Our galcticos

Mings
McGinn
Grealish

They can all fuck off for me

McGinn  - for not being in condition - he has had long enough and Douglas is fitter than ever

Mings - Has become a media darling whilst forgetting to actually play football - a coward and a bottler - every game there is a mistake and most usually a goal directly attributed to him.

Grealish - Hype has gone to his head - where is the Captain screaming at others that they are not good enough - Souness is right he is fouled so much because he hogs the ball too long
A coward?  Really?

Or just a player struggling for form whilst fighting a constant onslaught with mediocre players around him?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #193 on: July 10, 2020, 12:00:46 PM »
Yes, calling Mings a coward is very harsh.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2020, 12:22:53 PM »
Yeah I don’t see validity in that assessment. He’s careless at times and in poor form, but I don’t think he’s a coward.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal