collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Manchester United Post Match Thread  (Read 17721 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa v Manchester United Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2020, 07:37:28 AM »
I've only seen 2 people think it was a penalty, and it was the 2 c***s that gave it. I haven't even seen a sha or manure fan reckon it was a penalty.
There's 3 people actually. Solskjaer in true one eyed Fergie fashion said on motd "I thought it was a pen" Absolute wanker.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2020, 07:42:02 AM »
What is the fucking point anymore?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53357841

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2020, 07:53:25 AM »
The whole thing needs to be canned.  It ruins the flow of the game, leaves decisions up to people with no competence and favours the more aggressive clubs, who moan more.  It has been a complete waste of time and just does not work well in football.  Cricket, yes.  Football, an absolute no.  For elbows off the ball, normal replays could be used, instead of asking some spotty wanker to come up with a judgement.  The Tottenham non-penalty was also a farce. VAR is still opinion based and whilst that remains the same, it cannot work.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2020, 07:59:26 AM »
 we won’t have to worry about VAR next season !

Offline Allan C

« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2020, 08:02:23 AM »
Watched the game with my villa mad 10 year old, even before the replays he was shouting at the TV that it was a foul by Fernandes. Then he was shouting at the ref that he’d gone 2 mins over stoppage time, before Mings decided to not throw his body on the line. A kid doesn’t need replays to see that’s not a penalty, but those fuckers can’t see it, stinks.

But the team is also rudderless, the so called spine in the team have completely gone missing in action before and post lockdown. Mings shouts a lot at the other players but then won’t close down a kid on the edge of his box, McGinn has shown a couple of glimpses in the last couple of games but obviously hasn’t looked after himself during his recovery and couldn’t wait to get off the pitch, and I don’t know even where to start with grealish, been poor every game inc and since the cup final. Feck knows whose gonna buy those 3 but I wouldn’t be touching them if I was the so called top 4 or 6. Maybe Leicester might buy McGinn because Rodgers wanted him at Celtic.

Trezequet is shite and el Ghazi is too inconsistent and I don’t want to see them anywhere near the team for the last 4 games, but it’s our so called leaders that have let us down. Smith cannot keep banging the same drum before relegation is confirmed, Archer, Vassilev, Barrie, they might not save us but I bet they would at least show some energy and enthusiasm.
In the cold light of day I’m still as pissed off as I was last night.
I agree with all of that. When the whistle went I thought the ref had given us a free kick. I cannot see anyone banging our door down to buy either Mings or McGinn and in all honesty I can’t see where Grealish would fit in at ManU or any other current top six side with the possible exception of Spurs or maybe Leicester.

Offline cdward

« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2020, 08:18:08 AM »
The PL are afraid to use VAR to go against the decision made by the ref', as they probably think it will undermine any future decision making by ref's.
Even the BBC are afraid to call out the referees mistake

The Portuguese pirouetted on the ball and appeared to catch Villa defender Ezri Konsa's leg - but referee Jon Moss awarded a penalty, a decision supported by VAR.

they should look at the referees in Rugby, they always ask for support, "is there any reason why i cannot award a penalty/try?", then VAR is seen as supporting the ref in his decision making not disagreeing with him.

We would have lost the game anyway, but i'm still pissed off with that fucking bullshit decision.

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2020, 08:38:33 AM »
Seriously, are Davis and Samatta the best two fit strikers we have at the club? They are an absolute horror show week in, week out. Watching them is like a magnet to a battery on my very soul.

Samatta is dreadful. All those fans back in Tanzania going mad about him. I'm very curious what they all see. Shockingly bad.

He looks depressed, for want of a better word, since the season restarted. I wonder how much support he got during lockdown.

But when you see Jack volley over when he could have squared it for a tap in, you are not going to feel great about things.

I’m sure his massive undeserved salary got him through it bless him.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2020, 08:42:20 AM »
I have hated var since I saw the first offside given for a toenail offside. They say it follows the letter of the law. Well breaking news- it doesn't. The letter of the law says "if a player is deemed to be in an offside position WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYED" If your going on such miniscule margins to call an offside then you have to be certain of the PRECISE moment the ball leaves the passing players foot. It's the elephant in the room which proves VAR is fundamentally flawed. Then you give all the power to the referee's pals to make a judgement call and guess what? They just use it to back their pals up to the hilt. With all the money involved in top flight football I'm surprised that no club has made a legal challenge over it. I'm beginning to despise top flight football.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2020, 09:19:25 AM »
I have hated var since I saw the first offside given for a toenail offside. They say it follows the letter of the law. Well breaking news- it doesn't. The letter of the law says "if a player is deemed to be in an offside position WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYED" If your going on such miniscule margins to call an offside then you have to be certain of the PRECISE moment the ball leaves the passing players foot. It's the elephant in the room which proves VAR is fundamentally flawed. Then you give all the power to the referee's pals to make a judgement call and guess what? They just use it to back their pals up to the hilt. With all the money involved in top flight football I'm surprised that no club has made a legal challenge over it. I'm beginning to despise top flight football.
I hate VAR and always have. The problem is the “off side by a toe nail” is factually always correct and easy to give. Incidents like last night’s penalty come down to one mans opinion, some would give it the majority  wouldn’t. It was always going to be this way the minute VAR was brought in.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2020, 09:26:08 AM »

I never thought i would see us plumb the depths of the Sherwood/Garde era for spine free team performances. Yes the penalty was a joke but you use the injustice of that to energise as a team or, alternatively, you curl up into a ball hoping they don't kick you too hard. No prizes for guessing which one this Villa team did. 

Witless, gutless, useless.

Offline Ben.H

« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2020, 09:34:55 AM »
I hate VAR and always have. The problem is the “off side by a toe nail” is factually always correct and easy to give. Incidents like last night’s penalty come down to one mans opinion, some would give it the majority  wouldn’t. It was always going to be this way the minute VAR was brought in.
Offside by a toe nail also comes down to one man's opinion, specifically his opinion of the precise instant at which the ball is delivered.  Every frame he gets it wrong he is wrong by 1/50 of a second during which time a receiving player running at 10mph will have travelled over 2 inches.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #176 on: July 10, 2020, 09:36:28 AM »
VAR was not to blame for us not beating ten man West Ham, or losing home and away to Bournemouth, or conceding two goals to a godawful ten man Watford, or being unable to see games against Spurs out to a draw, etc etc etc.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2020, 09:46:34 AM »
You  missed my point there mate.The offside by a toenail is not factually correct. By the letter of the law a player is deemed to be offside when the ball is played. So if you're being so precise in giving offside for tiny margins then by definition you have to be just a precise as to when the ball actually leaves the passing players boot. It's the reason big companies are looking ar developing technology which will define this. Arsene Wenger has been asked by fifa to look into the offside situation to come up with a better way of doing it. Personally I think it's simple. The ref takes a look at a pitch line monitor and he can't decide if it's offside or not without the aid of a protractor or NASA technology then it's not offside. It can be made that simple in my view.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #178 on: July 10, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
VAR was not to blame for us not beating ten man West Ham, or losing home and away to Bournemouth, or conceding two goals to a godawful ten man Watford, or being unable to see games against Spurs out to a draw, etc etc etc.
You're right of course but it's a great distraction from just how crap our team is right now.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #179 on: July 10, 2020, 09:49:31 AM »
Completely agree Edge.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal