collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The retained player list  (Read 4667 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: The retained player list
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 06:18:40 AM »
Has Philogene-Bidace signed a new contract then? I think his was due to run out this summer and was attracting interest from further up the food chain.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 12:09:23 PM »
Him and Mungo Bridge have the best names in pop. With the Russian gone, there is a gap to fill.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »
Injury apart the numbers say Wesley would have scored 9 or 10 goals in a season.  I think that is a very poor return on a £22.5 million investment.  £2.25 million a goal.  Hogan (bought off Dean Smith) cost us £10 million.  £1.43 million a goal. Samatta £10 million, £10 million a goal.  Davis £400k   £200k a goal.

Rule of thumb fag packet numbers I know but the point I want to make is about getting, or not getting, what you pay for.

The problem is that £22.5m doesn't buy much these days. When you consider market value of players, Wesley currently sits 38th on the list of Premier League Strikers on Transfermarkt. Whilst that isn't scientific or proven it does highlight where we and he currently sit in the pecking order.

If we want a striker that scores lots of goals, we'll need to pay a lot of money and last summer we couldn't afford to.

Wesley hasn't done badly for us. Also he hasn't set the world alight, but for a relatively young player, in a new country, he's done ok. If he'd been signed to complement Abraham for example, rather than to replace him, we'd be feeling far more positive.

Offline exigo

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 12:31:25 PM »
Looks like our long-term FFP survival strategy is to bring through young strikers with unbelievably long names. 50p a letter on the shirts. Kerching.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2020, 01:27:39 PM »
Wesley was dreadful, he is only getting better as a result of not playing recently and the struggles of his replacements. Putting our faith in him shooting our way out of the championship would be incredibly foolish.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2020, 01:34:05 PM »
Haller at £45m seems a bigger waste of money. Similar scoring rate to Wesley.  7 in 26.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2020, 01:55:28 PM »
Wesley was dreadful, he is only getting better as a result of not playing recently and the struggles of his replacements. Putting our faith in him shooting our way out of the championship would be incredibly foolish.

The bold bit is nonsense, plenty of people were defending him before his injury, I personally thought he was doing ok, some decent games some poor ones but I could see that he was learning. Until he got injured I never thought we were in serious danger of going down, since then I can only think of a couple of games where we've looked like we wouldn't be deep in the relegation battle. Before the lockdown Samatta looked right as a striker without actually delivering much (he's been poor since we restarted though) but Wesley looked wrong and yet seemed to have a few key moments every game. With some coaching and a bit of luck in his recovery from the injury I think Wes could go on to be a very effective striker in a top league somewhere and I don't see why so many fans are dismissing him as a failure after 20 games.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2020, 02:55:30 PM »
Because football is results driven.  The one luxury a team never gets is time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »
Before Wesley got injured we were 3rd from bottom and had amassed 0.9 points per game.  Now we're 3rd from bottom, and are on 0.82 points a game.  I don't think there's a huge difference to be honest.  Wesley doesn't look very well suited to the English game.  He isn't quick, he's awful in the air, and he went lots of games without any efforts on goal at all.  Very similar faults to Davis and Samatta, with the difference that he cost £22m.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2020, 04:36:32 PM »
Before Wesley got injured we were 3rd from bottom and had amassed 0.9 points per game.  Now we're 3rd from bottom, and are on 0.82 points a game.  I don't think there's a huge difference to be honest.  Wesley doesn't look very well suited to the English game.  He isn't quick, he's awful in the air, and he went lots of games without any efforts on goal at all.  Very similar faults to Davis and Samatta, with the difference that he cost £22m.

Is that a cumulative PPG over the season, or is the .82 just in the games since he's been out?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2020, 05:29:59 PM »

Is that a cumulative PPG over the season, or is the .82 just in the games since he's been out?

God, I love misberalim.

richtheholtender

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2020, 06:15:02 PM »
It will be interesting to see how many of the good players that we have currently on the  "retained list" will want to stay if we get relegated!

I can think of at least one would jump ship ASAP.

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2020, 06:49:33 AM »
The following are to be retained for next season;
Goalkeepers
Heaton, Nyland, Kalinic, Steer,Onodi, Sinisolo, Marschall.

Defenders
Bree, Elmohamady, Engels, Hause, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Taylor,Appiah, Bridge, Revan.D, Rowe, Walker, Burton, Haden, Revan.S, Sohna.M, Zito.

Midfielders
El Ghazi, Grealish, Trezeguet, Hourihane, Lansbury, McGinn, Nakamba, Jota, Luiz,Brunt, Clarke, Ramsey.J, Vassilev, Farr, Lindley, Raiky, Ramsey.A, Sohna.H, Sylla.

Forwards
Davis, Hogan, Wesley, Samatta,Campton-Sturridge, Guy, Tait, Wright, Abldeen-Goodridge, Archer, Barry, Philogene-Bidace, Young.

1st teamers in bold.

If by any chance we keep all of them, who do we need to get in??
Vassilev listed as a MF?
Where's the MF Carney Chukwuemeka who was attracting interest from other clubs?
Has Sarcic been moved on? Ditto Suliman?

The players listed above are from the retained players list. You can see it and download it from the premier league web page.
Vassilev a MF from Villa Squad lists on official club website. The players you named will have all gone by the end of the season if they haven't already.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2020, 07:41:42 AM »
Would assume that Mings, McGinn and Grealish will be off, if and when we go down.

Others like Heaton, Douglas (not sure regarding his loan contract) and El Ghazi may go too.

Is James Chester still available? Would have him back. Think Jota will be useful in the Championship.

Players like Lansbury, Hogan and Bree can go

Offline sid1964

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2020, 07:47:37 AM »
If you saw Chester last night playing for Stoke against Leeds - you would not have him back!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal